• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Never read the books either so I might watch the movie. Like CM said, it is often hard to enjoy the movies otherwise...
    Just like the LOTR movies. They were outstanding movies but I still found myself thinking of inconsistencies from the book, parts that were left out...

I read the trilogy way back in the day so some of the inconsistency's were not glaring but I was aware and yes, the movies were very well done.

Dune was a total bust.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I kinda thought it had been done already? I did read a couple of the books and they were pretty good.

It was a debacle. The company LaHaye and Jenkins licensed the rights to did a terrible job, made three films after some serious wrangling with LaHaye and Jenkins, even going so far as to edit the original first film to include more impressive special effects during the scene where Israel avoids destruction from the air. LaHaye and Jenkins sued to get the production rights back after the first two films tanked hard, the company the production rights were originally sold to were bought out, so LaHaye and Jenkins let the third movie proceed, and it bombed, so they finally rescinded production rights and granted them to a different company who they thought would do a better (read: more financially successful) job with their money-grubbing venture, only to grant rights back to that same company later. Or something like that. It was a debacle.

TL;DR: Two authors who financially exploited Christianity for profit were worried when the film adaptation which financially exploited Christianity for profit didn't make as much profit as they wanted so they decided to remake the films and financially exploit Christianity even harder for even more profit.

ETA: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_Behind:_The_Movie (See: legal dispute)

I read "The Book" and now I'm waiting for the real thing. We're almost there...

IBTL! IBTR!

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Many years ago I worked at the Naval Avionics Center during the time period when the books came out and I was reading them. NAC was originally built as a factory so the bathrooms hung from the very high ceilings in order to save floor space. The area where I worked had been converted to office space so when you were on the stairway to the bathrooms you could overlook hundreds of cubicles full of people. The heating and a/c ducts also ran along the ceiling so it was normally pretty loud up there. I had went to the bathroom and was unaware that a bomb threat had been called in and the entire building had been quickly evacuated while I was taking care of my business. You can imagine what I thought when I started down the stairs and could only see empty cubicles that had been full of people just a few minutes before!

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Made it to 22 posts before somebody starts stirring the pot, sigh........

As a devout Christian, I find it rather 'pot-stirring' for someone to exploit my faith and that of my people for the explicit purpose of exploiting that faith to monetize it. Your mileage may vary. I find every bit about the series and the authors abhorrent and to be much despised. I view Tim LaHaye as I do Pat Robertson and other televangelists - Pat I find especially abhorrent: 'give me money so that you will be cured of your afflictions' - it's exploitation and I cannot handle it and refuse to condone it. John 2:16. Matthew 21:12. Any member of any religion would - and should - find it despicable to have their faith exploited to line the pockets of the conniving and deceitfully predatory.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I know nothing of Tim other than the books. Is there a reason to dislike him other than he sold a lot of fiction books?

people like to read. They can either read 50 shades of grey, or Left Behind.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As a devout Christian, I find it rather 'pot-stirring' for someone to exploit my faith and that of my people for the explicit purpose of exploiting that faith to monetize it. Your mileage may vary. I find every bit about the series and the authors abhorrent and to be much despised. I view Tim LaHaye as I do Pat Robertson and other televangelists - Pat I find especially abhorrent: 'give me money so that you will be cured of your afflictions' - it's exploitation and I cannot handle it and refuse to condone it. John 2:16. Matthew 21:12. Any member of any religion would - and should - find it despicable to have their faith exploited to line the pockets of the conniving and deceitfully predatory.

As a person of faith with what I believe to be clear knowledge of right and wrong, I also am disturbed by some people's attitudes and actions which seem to me to be wrong, exploitative, and/or blasphemous.
    HOWEVER, I try not to comment on those things here to avoid offending others who see things differently.
    We each know the truth (at least as we understand the truth), but INGO is not the place to tell others what they got wrong.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I wouldn't call it exploitation any more than any other book sold for a profit.

If they can make money doing something good then more power to them. There are no fraudulent transactions taking place.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'm sure there were a few native Americans who had the same problem with Disney's version of Pocahontas.

Actually, I'm not native American and it offended me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom