• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    My youngest son writes left handed, shoots handguns either hand, long guns right handed, batted and threw in baseball right handed.

Sheltie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    N.E. Indiana
    I’m totally left handed and left eye dominant. I carry Hk’s because I love the paddle and slide release . I wear my watch on the wrong arm, wallet on the wrong side. My leaf blower sucks my pant leg into the intake so I have to use it like a penguin. Oh, I have red hair and blue eyes. On weekends I steal souls. Lol

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    Leftie here too, wrote with both hands until 2nd or 3rd grade. Was encouraged to only use my right hand. Sprained my right wrist as a kid and have used left hand ever since.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Right handed, left eye dominant, shoot rifle left, hand gun right, throw right, kick left, shoot pool left....all messed up!!!!!

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Right handed, left eye for long guns/right hand for handguns. This provides difficult line of sight when shooting pistols with moderate"precision".

Background: lost my eye at a young age to accident, immediately began training to relearn how to shoot. (I was big into youth archery at the time).

I have a lefty bow now, but refuse to buy lefty rifles. Adapt and overcome as it were. (AR has ambi mag release though)

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Was in class today with Larry Vickers at Lebanon, and interesting enough he is right handed but left eye dominant so he shoots rifles left handed and pistols right and that seems to be an advantage for the sling and rifle to not interfere with the strong side pistol, but he's pretty good in any position. No homo.
    I was amazed at how many lefties I saw there today, at least 5 or 6 out of 25 I think.
    I am left handed but right eye dominant and decided to learn to shoot right handed to simplify things. We were switching shoulders today and the first few shots I know I missed because I was laughing at how weird it felt and it's definitely not the first time I've done that.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    A lot more of us maybe than I realized. I'm right handed and left eye dominant (poor vision in right eye) I re-learned how to shoot long guns left handed at a younger age high school or college time frame. Just like a lot of others here I still shoot pistols right handed just bringing the sights to my left eye.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I am right handed.
    When I started shooting IDPA matches.
    I needed to learn to shoot left.
    I was watching others shooting WEAK handed.
    I noticed them using their predominate eye.
    I seen their arm across their face.
    When I seen I was doing the same.
    I forced myself to use the left eye of my left hand.
    Now when I change hands. Without thinking I use my left eye.
    My hits are just about the same.
    I just noticed that my left hand is shaking more that my right.
    For the past two months I work both arms with 7 lb weights.
    My last shoot lefty I did not shake as much.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    A lot more of us maybe than I realized. I'm right handed and left eye dominant (poor vision in right eye) I re-learned how to shoot long guns left handed at a younger age high school or college time frame. Just like a lot of others here I still shoot pistols right handed just bringing the sights to my left eye.
    Your rear sights end up shifted a bit right as well?

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    The lack of inventory with left handed rifles seems to have forced most lefties to just adapt to right hand rifles.
    I have never owned a left hand rifle setup either.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The lack of inventory with left handed rifles seems to have forced most lefties to just adapt to right hand rifles.
    I have never owned a left hand rifle setup either.
    You are right, although I have a couple. I have a Rem 870, a Savage bolt action .22 and .300 WM in left handed. I feel awkward with bolt actions from either side.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I'm left eye dominate, but shoot pistols ambi, and rifles left handed. I can write with either left or right hands, but tend to write with my right.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Left handed and left eye dominant.

It's the main reason I've more or less entirely left bolt action rifles behind. Semi autos or lever actions (or even single shots) are all easier to deal with. The selection for modern left handed bolt guns is pure hot garbage. Most manufacturers that even have a left handed variant only offer the the bare bones guns in a limited number of calibers. Want a .300 BLK left handed gun with a threaded barrel? Make a custom one or you are SOL. Want a left handed friendly semi-auto .300BLK with threaded barrel? Buy a cheap .300 BLK AR and put an ambi safety selector on it and call it a day.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Your rear sights end up shifted a bit right as well?

No, I've worked on my draw/presentation enough the sights are spot on. I can close my eyes, present the pistol, and when I open my eyes the sights are aligned just fine. Just took lots of reps but at first yeah I'd have to point the pistol a touch right to line them up as you are saying. I started out twisting my head to the side but now I just bring the pistol to my eyes, looks and feels a lot more natural.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Left handed , right eye dominant. Long guns, bows and pool cues all right handed but can switch up pool cue fairly comfortably. Bow and long guns not at all useable left handed.
    Pistols are a mess. I’m equally bad either hand. No real fine motor skills right handed for aiming and controlling the trigger but shooting left handed is really awkward with my eyes fighting for dominance even if I close one eye. Best case is shoot left but close left eye to sight.

Matt

Top Bottom