• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Starting first grade the teacher would try to break your fingers with her wood rule (felt like it to this 6 year old) if you tried to use your left. Mom was left handed and a brother is left handed. Being 7 before first sibling came along I helped mom around the house so did a lot left handed. Today long gun or short gun, shot with the hand I picked it up with, left or right.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Lefty here. But I don’t shoot ANY lefty specific guns. Have learned to manipulate bolt guns. It looks weird but works just fine

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    The other day I took my daughter to the range to introduce her to her cricket. Knowing she's left handed, I put it in her left shoulder. First thing she does: nose to the stock to try to look through the sights with her right eye. :dunno:. For those of you that are cross dominant, I'm guessing it's easier to learn to shoot with the wrong hand than look with the wrong eye? she's 6 and just starting out so blank slate.

Wife and I are both very much right handed, my dad and her mom were leftys, at least two of my dads siblings are lefty.

ziggy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Fort Wayne area
    The other day I took my daughter to the range to introduce her to her cricket. Knowing she's left handed, I put it in her left shoulder. First thing she does: nose to the stock to try to look through the sights with her right eye. :dunno:. For those of you that are cross dominant, I'm guessing it's easier to learn to shoot with the wrong hand than look with the wrong eye? she's 6 and just starting out so blank slate.

Wife and I are both very much right handed, my dad and her mom were leftys, at least two of my dads siblings are lefty.

I believe she will have to learn to shoot with her dominant eye or else close the other eye. Generally, with long guns it makes sense to shoot on the eye-dominant side. Hand guns can be shot cross dominant by just lining the sights with the dominant eye.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

I would absolutely have her learn right handed. It'll be better for her in the long run and not having a hard time finding guns for a lefty anyhow. I am right handed and shoot lefty for the same reason as your daughter. Only thing is I had to change as my shooting shoulder when I was older. While it wasn't a big deal, starting out the correct way would have been nice.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I am just a natural left hand person that is right eye dominant. Have to shoot with both eyes open.
    All pistols are configured to left hand use but own no lefty rifles or shotguns. Just learned to shoot those.
    If ever wanting to sell a pistol and holster configured to the left, I never realized that there were so many people that could use that setup.
    Growing up back in the 60's one was pushed to use their right hand for writing and parents were encouraged to force this change on their left handed offspring.
    Kind of nuts when you think about it.
    Thanks gents for sharing

I wasn't pushed into it that I remember, but I'm kind of a mix. Anything requiring coordination (writing, shooting, batting), I'm right-handed, right eye dominant when it comes to shooting. Anything requiring strength (throwing, bowling, boxing) I'm a lefty. When I was a kid it worked out well, since I owned the only pair of boxing gloves and all my friends were righties. We'd just agree to use our non-gloved hands for blocking when we boxed each other. :): Of course if two of my righty friends boxed each other using my gloves, one of them was going to be at a disadvantage.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I write and eat with my left hand, but am right eye dominant. I consider my right hand my dominant hand for all shooting disciplines. Makes it easy to EDC my pistol on the right and knife on the left

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I just thought of why I started to shoot left hand and left eye.
    Shooting from behind protection.
    When I was shooting on my left side with my right hand and eye.
    I became aware my head and some of my body was flagging the aggressor or totally open.
    This became apparent mandatory weak hand shoot.
    Now only my left hand and eye are exposed. My weak hand is not a weak hand anymore.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Left hand shooter,left eye dominate.
    I wouldn't be suprised if Sam Colt was a lefty also.
    Put your old style SAA in your left hand,use your left thumb to flick open the loading gate,
    rotate the cylinder with your left index finger and right hand to operate the ejector.

rarobertson33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I'm not a lefty nor left eye dominant, but I have four kids and one is left handed but shoots right. One is right handed but shoots left and is right eye dominant. I can't explain it. We just work with them so they are comfortable lol

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I'm not a lefty nor left eye dominant, but I have four kids and one is left handed but shoots right. One is right handed but shoots left and is right eye dominant. I can't explain it. We just work with them so they are comfortable lol

Do your kid shoot hand guns or rifles cross eyed. I had heck of a time helping one lady shooting a rifle. All of her hits were far left. One day I caught her moving her head. I placed my hand in front of her left eye. She jumped and told me i covered the front sight.
    She was seeing the rear sight with her right eye and front sight with her left eye.

It took me a of concentration to sight with the same eye as hand (well left side).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’m right handed, right eye dominant but last spring, I became a lefty for the summer after tearing up 3 rotator cuff tendons. It made me appreciate having a left hand friendly pistol. I put nearly 2k rounds downrange left hand only and got to the point where I could shoot lefty quite well but I’ve been letting that skill degrade now the the shoulder is back online.

A couple of years ago, I had a minor stroke that cost part of my vision in my right eye, so I have a lot of trouble shooting iron sights with the right eye. When I shoot pistols, I mostly close the right eye and shoot left eye but that does not work for rifles. With an optic, I can aim peripherally using the right eye but that’s tough with most iron sights.

I’m starting to think that maybe I was supposed to be a lefty and that my body is doing whatever it can to get me there.

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    One more left hand / left eye dominant shooter.I suspect I would be doing everything left handed if it hadn't been for all that forced "Use your right hand" as a child back in the 70's

Handguns I can shoot equally well with either hand (not well, equally well). Though I have to think about it to force myself to use my right eye for right handed shooting. It's gotten easier since I see better out of my right eye nowadays. Lots of practice I suppose.

Rifles? Still left handed exclusively. Just got used to the shells flying across my face and the occasional hot surprise on my right arm.

Top Bottom