• ...and so much more!
  • Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code//title9/ar21/ch18.html

If you read the Indiana Code, police officers DO NOT HAVE AUTHORITY TO WRITE TICKETS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY................

Unless they have 1) a contract between the police agency and the OWNER/lessee of the property. 2) a fee must be paid by the property owner to the police agency authorized to enforce traffic and PARKING regulations. 3) The contract must be recorded with the county recorders office. 4) Signs must be posted at all entrances of the property stating that the police are authorized to enforce traffic and parking regulations.

And, if you will also notice in the Indiana Code, a FIRE ZONE is defined at WHITE diagonal stripes extending 10 feet out from the curb of the sidewalk. All those yellow stripes and fire zone/no parking signs in front of grocery stores/shopping malls don't mean d*ck and you can cite the above IC also in your defense if some jackboot does write you a ticket.

Last edited:

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code//title9/ar21/ch18.html

If you read the Indiana Code, police officers DO NOT HAVE AUTHORITY TO WRITE TICKETS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY................

Unless they have 1) a contract between the police agency and the OWNER/lessee of the property. 2) a fee must be paid by the property owner to the police agency authorized to enforce traffic and PARKING regulations. 3) The contract must be recorded with the county recorders office. 4) Signs must be posted at all entrances of the property stating that the police are authorized to enforce traffic and parking regulations.

And, if you will also notice in the Indiana Code, a FIRE ZONE is defined at WHITE diagonal stripes extending 10 feet out from the curb of the sidewalk. All those yellow stripes and fire zone/no parking signs in front of grocery stores/shopping malls don't mean d*ck and you can cite the above IC also in your defense if some jackboot does write you a ticket.

slow down hoss....that's not exactly a "fire zone"

IC 9-13-2-62.5
    "Fire lane"
    Sec. 62.5. (a) "Fire lane", for purposes of IC 9-21-16-5.5, means an area that is:
    (1) located within twelve (12) feet of:
    (A) a building that:
    (i) is occupied for commercial, professional, religious, or any other purpose; and
    (ii) is not a building that is intended for use as a dwelling for one (1) or two (2) families; or
    (B) a sidewalk immediately adjacent to or attached to a building; and
    (2) designated as a fire lane under IC 9-21-16-5.5(c).
    (b) The term includes an alley.
    As added by P.L.8-2003, SEC.1.
    And other than the fact that you CAN be issued a ticket for parking in disabled parking without properly displayed placards or license plates, i'll let somebody else deal with the rest.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    All those yellow stripes and fire zone/no parking signs in front of grocery stores/shopping malls don't mean d*ck and you can cite the above IC also in your defense if some jackboot does write you a ticket.

:rolleyes:

Bad legal advice above folks.

Those yellow stripes and signs do "mean d*ck" in some areas. From the Fishers municipal code:

(D) Fire lanes shall be established and marked as follows: (1) Fire lanes shall be 12 feet from the sidewalk, driveway, service area or areas immediately adjacent to any building or structure deemed necessary by the Chief of the Fire Prevention Bureau.

(2) Where acceptable, the pavement of the fire (emergency) lane shall be marked with the words “No Parking Fire Lane” in large visible letters and a stripe of no less than four inches in width installed 12 feet from the sidewalk, curb or other items adjacent to the building in question. The words “No Parking Fire Lane” shall be between the stripe and the sidewalk, curb or other item adjacent to the building.

(3) All curbs striping and language required on pavement shall be marked in yellow coloration with paint or other types of substances that may be approved by the Chief of Fire Prevention Bureau; and,

(4) Signs stating “No Parking Fire Lane” meeting the Indiana Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices shall be installed no less than every 30 feet apart.

So when some "jackboot" writes the ticket for a city/town ordinance, then the judge can tell the violator the IC they just cited "don't mean d*ck." Everyone should be aware of local regulations, as the specifics can be different than the almighty Indiana Code. So yes, yellow stripes, signs, etc. might just actually mean d*ck.

slow down hoss....that's not exactly a "fire zone"

Actually, it is a fire lane. You take your definition, but the specific law IC 9-21-16-5.5 adds additional requirements. So you really have to take both citations into account to determine if one has a fire lane defined by state law.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Here's a 'crazy' thought: Don't run stop signs, even on mall drives, don't park in zoned off areas regardless of color, and don't park in 'handicapped' spots (unless meeting the legitimate requirements), and ya won't have a problem.

:nuts: hunh?

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Here's a 'crazy' thought: Don't run stop signs, even on mall drives, don't park in zoned off areas regardless of color, and don't park in 'handicapped' spots (unless meeting the legitimate requirements), and ya won't have a problem.

That would be too logical for people. The local White Trash Mart by us has people parking everywhere they should not. I try to avoid the place if at all possible.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI

Insanity. Next, you'll be suggesting people drive the posted limit to prevent speeding tickets. That'll never catch on...

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Nothing I love more than seeing an able bodied person parking in a handicap spot. I mean lack of intelligence is a handicap right?:dunno:

Please keep in mind, a 'disability' may not be readily visible to an onlooker. Both of my cars carry a handicap placard in their windshields. I don't walk with a limp, or use a cane or a walker or a wheelchair, but I do have valid reasons for the placards.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Interesting thing happened to me a few years ago. I was walking across the crosswalk to the grocery store from the parking lot. There are stop signs on either side of the crosswalk so that pedestrians can get in and out of the store safely.

A local LEO rolled right through the stop sign, almost running me over. I yelled "Hey, Officer" toward the car and ran toward his driver side window. I told him he almost hit me because he did not stop at the stop sign. This a-hole said "It's private property; I don't have to obey the signs."

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Interesting thing happened to me a few years ago. I was walking across the crosswalk to the grocery store from the parking lot. There are stop signs on either side of the crosswalk so that pedestrians can get in and out of the store safely.

A local LEO rolled right through the stop sign, almost running me over. I yelled "Hey, Officer" toward the car and ran toward his driver side window. I told him he almost hit me because he did not stop at the stop sign. This a-hole said "It's private property; I don't have to obey the signs."

So if a citizen disobeys signs on private property they are a patriot, but if a cop does they are an a-hole? Only on INGO.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    He literally grazed me with his car after blowing a stop sign just because he could, and then justified it by saying he broke no laws. In my book, that makes him an a-hole.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So if a citizen disobeys signs on private property they are a patriot, but if a cop does they are an a-hole? Only on INGO.
    Anyone not yielding to pedestrians in a crosswalk is an ahole. The LEO doing so and using it isn't against the law makes him an extra big ahole.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Anyone not yielding to pedestrians in a crosswalk is an ahole. The LEO doing so and using it isn't against the law makes him an extra big ahole.

THIS! After all, isnt there massive teeth gnashing in another thread about LEOs expecting to be held to a higher standard?

And dont get me started on the Sheriff's deputy I saw blow past a school bus on 30th street this am. Bus's red lights and stop arms came out, and he just kept on going... :xmad:

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    The wife stopped at Casey's here in Walkerton and the cops (4 squad cars) 2 had parked in the handicap spots, 2 right in front of the doors. She went in and thanked them for taking up the handicap spots and they told her to pound sand. One stating he was the chief and would park where ever he wanted. She told the 2 that hadn't parked in the handicap spots if they had any balls they would write the chief and the other idiot a ticket. They just stood there with their mouths hanging open. The girls behind the registers just started laughing.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Can we start another thread for a-hole cops? We wouldn't want to derail this one.

I related an incident that was directly related to the topic, and you got all testy. Was I saying that ALL cops are a-holes? Of course not. I have a healthy respect for law enforcement, both on here and IRL. Hell, BBI's and I have repped each other so many times I think we're banned for life from doing it any more.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I related incident that was directly related to the topic, and you got all testy. Was I saying that ALL cops are a-holes? Of course not. I have a healthy respect for law enforcement, both on here and IRL. Hell, BBI's and I have repped each other so many times I think we're banned for life from doing it any more.

I'm not testy, just pointing out the obvious.

Top Bottom