• less lethal rounds for H/D

• Total voters

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    I had contemplated about this for some time....

I can not see any viable reason to use anything but lead. Lead stops something a lot better than a rubber slug that busts a rib or 2. Neither round would feel the best and I'm not volunteering to be the dummy for the Rubber Slug test.

I will disperse lead and lead only from my firearms. If LTL is required... I always have a baseball bat close by or my big Mag light. Both are also effective.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Police Officers' use of force continuum:

1) Physical presence
    2) Verbal commands
    3) Empty-hand submission techniques
    4) Less-lethal weapons (e.g. baton, mace, Taser, beanbag bounds, etc.)
    5) Lethal force

My use of force continuum:

1) Lethal force

Sorry, but the only time I plan on ever having to use any kind of force on someone is if I feel I (or someone else I'm protecting) is at risk of death or serious bodily harm, in which case it's straight to lethal. I don't know about you, but if my life is on the line I'm not gonna trust a beanbag to protect it.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Last night was in a warehouse and surrounding area, all dimly lit. Dressed in black with a G26. Two LEO's in dark blue with black pistols too. I never thought to ask what they were carrying.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Why anyone would entertain the idea of using less lethal rounds in a home defense (any defense scenerio) situation as a civillian I don't know. Where do you come up with this stuff.:dunno:

There is a big difference between a Police Officer/Department trying to take someone into custody and a home owner defending himeself. Less Lethal rounds are a tool for the Police. Less Lethal munitions are primarily used by the Police while trying to take someone into custody that isn't complying but their actions don't quite justified deadly force etc . Also I have seen a LOT of folks (criminals) walking around with a lot of rounds from Police in their bodies. If that didn't stop them do you think you will fare any better with less lethal rounds and if so how quick can you get to your real weapon when it gets to the next level!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Less lethal CAN be lethal is used improperly. Bean bag rounds have a minimum safe distance and should be fired at the belly for a less lethal application. Hitting the area over the heart or in the head will kill a person. Less lethal requires training and practice. For the record, at least for us LEO's, we shoot to stop. We fire to stop a threat. Sometimes one or two shots are all that is needed to force the BG to stop. Sometimes it takes more. If the suspect lives...great, but sometimes they do not. We DO NOT fire until we believe they are dead. Of course use of a firearm is "deadly force" but that is because the application of it has a high probability of serious bodily injury or death. There is enough bravado on here to make John Wayne proud...of course he was just acting.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Does a squirt gun full of lemon juice to the eyes count? Because I tested that once and it didn't end well.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    you need to work on your aim down dark hallways man :):
    I reckon you were just joking.:):
    To clarify for others, I only shoot to stop whatever is taking place. One shot should be enough. If not, move on to next. If I still haven't stopped the threat with all those shots, the JHP's must not be working, so maybe the FMJ will. Maybe.:dunno:
    I've never been that deep into a situation and hope I never do either.:)

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I didn't answer the poll. The editorialized answers don't apply to me. If I'm ever attacked, I don't care how lethal my methods for ending the threat may be. Playing shotgun corn-hole with 'em just isn't going to work. That beanbag puts less force into their body than it does into yours. You'd be better off to throw a baseball at them. If someone ever designs an electro-shock gun with more than a few shots that works through thick clothing, I'll probably carry that for self-defense. Maybe in a few years we'll get laser guns that surround the target in a gentle stasis field while you're waiting for the police. Right now, the best small tool for stopping someone is a remote hole-punch.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Is the term "less lethal rounds" an oxymoron?
    If you use enough of them or hit the right spot does it matter?
    Why would one do so?

Oxymoron....maybe. Actually they use to be called Less "Than" Lethal but after the first accidental death (I believe one of the first Gen bean bag round which were a square bag design flatted out like a frisbee and penitrated the torso between 2 ribs killing him. Now most have a round bag design with a tail to stabilize the round) They removed the "Than" word. Most departments have strict guidance to not (purposely) aim at the head, neck, groin or other areas that could be seriously injured/killed. The idea is to get the suspect to COMPLY with the officers orders/be taken into custody etc. Yes we are talking moving targets so they could move when you shoot etc but care is taken to not hit those areas.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    As far as lethal force, This whole "Shoot to stop" "Stop the threat" etc phrase is nothing but a bunch of verbal BS. Yes thats what most agencies teach but REALLY! I mean how are you stopping them? The suspect gave you reason/justification to engage him with a lethal weapon. So you Shoot them center mass to incapacitate them by damaging vital organs. I mean is there really a POLITE way to shoot someone with a firearm!

Top Bottom