Lesson in Shot-Gunning (Warning Graphic Pictures)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsmysak1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Most people who shoot a great deal have either had an accidental discharge or almost had one. There is never a reason for a person to accidentaly be in front of the business end. They make a small barrel rest for trap shooters so you don't have to rest on your foot..... for this very reason....

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    One very cold and windy winter long ago I was working at a gun club. Nearly got shot in my foot by a very stupid guest member. The group was walking up to a trap range, I was already there waiting for them, with clipboard and the trap control. One guy walking up next to me, not more then 2-3 feet away, shifted his shotgun for some reason.

BANG!!!

There appeared a divit in the snow no more then a foot away from my foot.

He had put his finger in the trigger. While he still had gloves on. IDIOT

I'm pretty sure I left the range, and had the guest kicked out. Quit shortly after that. Way to cold, way to windy. My dangly bits were getting frost bite.

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    I saw that and it was with an article that stated it was a .45, not a shotgun. A .45 seems to make more sense when I see the hole.

i will see if I can find the article again.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    I could be wrong, but I don't think that's a shotgun wound.

I've received the same images minus the first one in an e-mail stating it was a .45ACP. Who knows, the way pictures are thrown around the net these days, it could be anything.

If you look at the pictures of the boot, you can compare the bullet hole to the size of the shoe-lace eyelets. The eyelets are only slightly smaller than the bullet hole and unless they were shooting a .410, I doubt it was a shotgun. Most people shoot 12s or 20s when shooting trap anyways.

Go grab your 20 guage and place it on top of your EMPTY boot and you'll see what I mean.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I guess I don't understand the "need" to rest your muzzle on you foot. Why not the butt? Does it make you look cool or something?

Then you could probably look through his head from his chin out the top as well as the normal "in one ear and out the other".

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The ONLY way I EVER rest my shotgun on my foot is unloaded and with the action open. If there's something in the chamber, it's going to be pointed at the ground or at the sky.

Several skeet/trap shooters do this, and I believe it's perfectly safe as long as you aren't an idiot.
    Yeah...until recently, that's the way they TAUGHT trap students to rest an open action/unloaded trap gun.
    I've noticed that the scouts now have these little square rubber pads that are magnetic...they rest the muzzle on that square and it "sticks" so they take it from station to station. Then when their turn is up, they step on the corner and pull the muzzle off while holding the square down. Much safer.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Then you could probably look through his head from his chin out the top as well as the normal "in one ear and out the other".

I wasn't suggesting he point the muzzle toward his head, there are a lot of other places to point it "up". But not pointing it at your own foot isn't possible if you have the muzzle actually sitting on your foot. Seems like common sense to me. :dunno:

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    A sobering reminder that the firearm safety rules should be used each and every time a firearm is handled!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Yeah...until recently, that's the way they TAUGHT trap students to rest an open action/unloaded trap gun.
    I've noticed that the scouts now have these little square rubber pads that are magnetic...they rest the muzzle on that square and it "sticks" so they take it from station to station. Then when their turn is up, they step on the corner and pull the muzzle off while holding the square down. Much safer.
    P.S.
    If any of you are interested, these are about the same:
    Shooting Gun Buddy ~ Magnetic Gun Rest
    It's just a good idea...

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I wasn't suggesting he point the muzzle toward his head, there are a lot of other places to point it "up". But not pointing it at your own foot isn't possible if you have the muzzle actually sitting on your foot. Seems like common sense to me. :dunno:

Unless he's about 4 foot tall it's going to be pointed in the general direction of his head if the butt end is on his foot. Common sense isn't really all that common any more or you would be reading thread after thread of people talking about all their negligent discharges, shooting them selves, dropping guns in the drink, shooting the toilet and on and on. And this is suppose to be the "elite" who goes about "educating" the public sheeple? ROTFLMAO Lecturing LEOs on the law? LOLOLOL

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I once knew a guy who did something like this to get out of the draft in the late 60's. He was afraid he would be shipped off to Nam so he shot his big right toe off with 12 Ga. It worked but, he walked kinda funny afterwards.

Top Bottom