• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What's wrong with trench coats? Not Kosher? I see pics of Jews in NY wearing trench coats all the time!

I might be one of those folks stuck in the past, but I was wearing one before Columbine and I wasn't going to let that stop me. Even though it was suggested by my supervisor at work that my attire put people off, it still didn't stop me.

I considered putting a big "Have a Nice Day!" smiley face on it. Never did, still think it would be funny.

:)

Always had an Aussie duster. Oiled fabric that was against the wind and rain. Perfect for riding the iron horse in weather.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I think that buying things in plastic, or otherwise non absorbent packaging is a good first step. The. If you so choose bring them home and fog the bags with a disinfecting spray.
    In one of my past lives I worked at a large scale hog operation everything is fogged in with disinfectant or subjected to uv light for an amount of time suggested for killing viruses. So building a Uv box or disinfecting chamber are viable and affordable options if need be. The most expensive part is probably the uv fixture. Be more than happy to explain further if anyone seeks more detail to either process. You could also set up a simple danish entry system to keep contaminates entering your house to a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I'd like to learn more about a UV box

diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    When this started all we had was TP, a bunch of random frozen food, and camping gear we've not used in ages. An offer of surplus supplies lit a fire under my bum. Since then I've been putting together food and items for stay home then get home then bug out. Nosy neighbors are losing their minds watching delivery trucks nearly on the daily. Still a long way to go, but at least I'm getting somewhere. Now to figure out where to go if we have to leave in a hurry with two big furkids....... Parents moved into Sr Living so no comfy farm to crash at.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You need UVC, 254nm for disinfecting things so tanning bulbs or black light don't work. That said you can buy small size UVC rigs and build a box for them pretty cheap. We built one for fabric and materials testing a few years back when the UV room sterilizers started to get popular.

Nathanaf8388

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2020
    Montezuma
    You need UVC, 254nm for disinfecting things so tanning bulbs or black light don't work. That said you can buy small size UVC rigs and build a box for them pretty cheap. We built one for fabric and materials testing a few years back when the UV room sterilizers started to get popular.

Basically this. You can buy them for a variety of prices and quality all over the internets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

We had a dept that was installing UV lamps in Commercial/Industrial/Medical/school duct systems on the HVAC. THey stayed pretty busy.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Biggest/hardest lesson to learn/accept:

There is NO amount of prepping short of having a bunker stocked with a multi-year supply of food that will enable anyone to outlast a major disruption to society.

Alright, maybe if someone is already subsistence farming and has some breed stock for their critters, they would probably be okay.

Long term shortages in our food distribution system will lead to total chaos in thirty days or less.

My conclusion is that any preps that I have done to get me a thirty day food/water supply will only last me until the really big mess is just getting started.

It is a little depressing.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009

There is NO amount of prepping short of having a bunker stocked with a multi-year supply of food that will enable anyone to outlast a major disruption to society.

Alright, maybe if someone is already subsistence farming and has some breed stock for their critters, they would probably be okay.

Long term shortages in our food distribution system will lead to total chaos in thirty days or less.

My conclusion is that any preps that I have done to get me a thirty day food/water supply will only last me until the really big mess is just getting started.

Exactly. Stored food etc is like a life boat. Anybody who thinks they'll batten down the hatches in their 'dooms-day-bunker' like Noah in the ark and emerge after the apocolypse is over, to build a brave new world, is delusional.

I've heard it said again and again, that if society goes off the rails, the only fix is to rebuild society--in microcosm to start.
    Subsistence farming with hand tools is labor intensive
    how many skills does one person have?
    How many shifts of guard duty can you stand--and cover everything?

There's a reason the Amish come together to do barn raisings

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

I figure we could go a long time here. Over the years I've run a variety of experiments and feel that knowledge and the will to use it what you need to get through bad times.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Living in the city and space to store anything like our preps is at a premium especially when the spouse collects so much :poop:
    I have but in shelves/cabinets/closets etc and so on only to have them filled up and she needs more space. She crafts and creates so her supply's and work in progress is everywhere. Drive me batpoo crazy at times. So 30+ days is about all I can stuff into what space there is left. If it were just her and I this would push out to double that time frame but the daughter and family live next door. And the terrorists gotta eat.

At our ages and medical conditions 30+ will take us out to the end of her meds so after that nothing will really matter anyway. My thing is keeping those babys alive as long as I can. It is all about them.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Living in the city and space to store anything like our preps is at a premium especially when the spouse collects so much :poop:
    I have but in shelves/cabinets/closets etc and so on only to have them filled up and she needs more space. She crafts and creates so her supply's and work in progress is everywhere. Drive me batpoo crazy at times. So 30+ days is about all I can stuff into what space there is left. If it were just her and I this would push out to double that time frame but the daughter and family live next door. And the terrorists gotta eat.

At our ages and medical conditions 30+ will take us out to the end of her meds so after that nothing will really matter anyway. My thing is keeping those babys alive as long as I can. It is all about them.
    You've got a good network of friends. Meds can be found. Food too.
    People that are trustworthy, not as easy.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Exactly. Stored food etc is like a life boat. Anybody who thinks they'll batten down the hatches in their 'dooms-day-bunker' like Noah in the ark and emerge after the apocolypse is over, to build a brave new world, is delusional.

Yeah, this is was I was getting at.

I figure we could go a long time here. Over the years I've run a variety of experiments and feel that knowledge and the will to use it what you need to get through bad times.

I have collected a multitude of skills, equipment, and preps over the last twenty years. I'm not casting aspersions to what anyone has done to prepare for emergencies. I will continue to do what I have been doing for so long. Preps are not pointless, useless or silly, but they are not a shield from reality. I encourage everyone I know to prepare for times when life-as-usual is interrupted.

The hard lesson that I am pointing to is that there will be no getting, "through the bad times". There is no finish line to cross, there will be no moment of finality to any large-scale event. There is no bridge to a better place and time. No completion, no return to what was, just transition.

The winning and overcoming will be through successfully adapting to whatever the current situation is that exists...just like humanity has done throughout the millennia.
    Unfortunately, most of the skills I have acquired puts me in the methane plant under Bartertown. :( :puke:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, this is was I was getting at.

I have collected a multitude of skills, equipment, and preps over the last twenty years. I'm not casting aspersions to what anyone has done to prepare for emergencies. I will continue to do what I have been doing for so long. Preps are not pointless, useless or silly, but they are not a shield from reality. I encourage everyone I know to prepare for times when life-as-usual is interrupted.

The hard lesson that I am pointing to is that there will be no getting, "through the bad times". There is no finish line to cross, there will be no moment of finality to any large-scale event. There is no bridge to a better place and time. No completion, no return to what was, just transition.

The winning and overcoming will be through successfully adapting to whatever the current situation is that exists...just like humanity has done throughout the millennia.
    Unfortunately, most of the skills I have acquired puts me in the methane plant under Bartertown. :( :puke:

No matter where you go...…...There you are.

I believe this to be true.

I have also come to see that all of my knowledge I have attempted to share and pass on has been mostly wasted time. People/children hear what they want to hear. Act out as they choose to. I worked hard to show my kids how to do so many things. I truly believe that was not taken seriously.
    If we hit a major event with serious up heavel I believe many many people will not have the back bone it requires to see it through. The strong family bonds I saw as a child growing up are no where near as prevalent these days. I tend to see this through KJK's eyes now.

Reality is a serious Biatch.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My experience with living in this country 63 years is that there is always light at the end of the tunnel. There may be another tunnel down the tracks, but enjoy the light while you can. Lots of bad years, but lots of good ones as well.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE

I have also come to see that all of my knowledge I have attempted to share and pass on has been mostly wasted time.

I might be missing your inference, but I am serious about the methane plant.

With years of experience in plumbing, electrical, industrial machinery, pumps, welding, brazing, I could build one sweet symphony of machinery for a sewer system with a methane digester, bio-gas compressor and generator.

To the thread title, after much analysis of my skill base and training, a close examination of my place in this world and how I might be able to make myself useful in a world I never hope to experience, with deep and meaningful introspection of myself...my best fit would be as a sanitation worker in a methane/electrical/steam plant.

Weird.

Anybody else try to figure out where you fit in an alternate reality? I'm not talking about copier repairmen becoming generals, but I guess it is possible.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    No matter where you go...…...There you are.

I believe this to be true.

I have also come to see that all of my knowledge I have attempted to share and pass on has been mostly wasted time. People/children hear what they want to hear. Act out as they choose to. I worked hard to show my kids how to do so many things. I truly believe that was not taken seriously.
    If we hit a major event with serious up heavel I believe many many people will not have the back bone it requires to see it through. The strong family bonds I saw as a child growing up are no where near as prevalent these days. I tend to see this through KJK's eyes now.

Seem that we have walked similar paths with similar end results.

Mama Bear and I are comfortably set for 90 days without supply. About 30 days if we have the grand kids here with us. I have enough quality skill sets to make myself "useful" in just about any future scenario. I just no longer feel the desire to survive "no matter what" the future holds. For the most part, my advice and skills have been wasted on a generation that sees the world differently than I do.

In the meantime, we will do whatever it takes to care for and protect the grandchildren, for as long as we can.

Top Bottom