• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I'm not asking what anyone does about C-19, what if it was a real killer contaminate? What would be a safe protocol?

Well, you said its unknown, so I guess its whatever your normal practices are. How would you know to do anything different if its "unseen"

If you know there's a contaminant, why would you grab/touch/buy it in the first place :dunno:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have found the problem of trying to buy groceries and clean things an incredible unsolvable problem. To be clear I do not fear C-19 but it has made me think about what if...

A hypothetical:

So while getting groceries you pick up a can with an unseen deadly virus, you put it in your cart, run it through checkout, you have it on your hands, you must get out your CC to pay, then put the contaminated can and all it touches in a bag in your truck. At home you must get the stuff out, clean it and put it away.

In what order do you touch stuff to put it away?

I want to see what you got...

Dude, you're overthinking it.

Wash your hands, don't touch your face, wear a mask.

It's like motorcycle riding ATGATT, but sometimes, rarely, that's enough.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A Clorox wipe in the pocket to "shop" with. Wipe cart, use for door handles, wipe hands as necessary. Grab the 2nd and 3rd wipe from the store's provided Purel wipe dispenser, assuming it's not empty. Always discard the first wipe (fecal matter.)

Grab items with wipes as much as possible. Wipe hands with wipes as needed. Use hand sanitizer back in the car liberally. Do your keys and card and phone, if necessary.

DON'T freek out about this! You will be good, if you follow the basic rules.

Wash hands after touching stuff as soon as possible. DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE!!!!

You won't get the virus through your hands, unless you have an open wound. You will get the virus, if it's on your hands and you touch your face.

How do you wear your mask without touching your face? Beats me, unless you are having a nurse put it on you and glove you up, like on MASH.

Exactly why I am opposed to wearing a mask. It's a liberal feel good thing that is actually a true detriment to staying healthy.

The virus doesn't live very long on surfaces. Be careful handling on the trip and putting away groceries at home. By the next time you return to the groceries, they will be fine.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You guys are proving the complexity of the conundrum...

All this theater is not going to stop the spread, it is just feelz good ***** beyond the simple keep your hands off your face which the itchy ill fitting masks just make worse...

I'm sure masks work in a lab with protocols that don't exist in a real world...

Hence the unsolvable problem...

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I learned how much I spend eating out/carry out, and buying lunch at work. Seems like the cash in my pocket has been staying around. then, I have probably doubled what I spend at the grocery but that is still less than $350 per month.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Your smartest move is to not make any store visits you don't need to make.

If you a re still going to the grocery twice or even once a week, then maybe you should plan a little better? The same with the box stores?

Maybe you need to drive a little farther to take yourself out of the hot zone? Some of the outlying counties have remarkably low numbers of reported cases of the virus vs the metro's.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

If you a re still going to the grocery twice or even once a week, then maybe you should plan a little better? The same with the box stores?

Maybe you need to drive a little farther to take yourself out of the hot zone? Some of the outlying counties have remarkably low numbers of reported cases of the virus vs the metro's.

I have been in grocery stores way more than usual due to no one has it all and prepping for next by stocking up...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I learned how much I spend eating out/carry out, and buying lunch at work. Seems like the cash in my pocket has been staying around. then, I have probably doubled what I spend at the grocery but that is still less than $350 per month.

I'm helping the economy by using the savings to stock up...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just sayin', if you look for alternatives you just might find them. Alternatives with little or no exposure to the bug.

Amazon is a great place to stock up from, with very little risk of getting the virus from the UPS delivery. $100-ish subscribe and save order coming from them next week or so.

Ebay is another handy way to go. Just got a ten pound bucket of Redmond Real Salt last week. Best price obtainable, not to mention free delivery.

I just ordered $166 worth of green coffee beans today, from my coffee bean supplier. That should bring me to around twenty some odd pounds of beans.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I have found the problem of trying to buy groceries and clean things an incredible unsolvable problem. To be clear I do not fear C-19 but it has made me think about what if...

A hypothetical:

So while getting groceries you pick up a can with an unseen deadly virus, you put it in your cart, run it through checkout, you have it on your hands, you must get out your CC to pay, then put the contaminated can and all it touches in a bag in your truck. At home you must get the stuff out, clean it and put it away.

In what order do you touch stuff to put it away?

I want to see what you got...

I haven't been in a building other than work or home for weeks, but I have picked up curbside and I have put gas in the car. I carry a small container of wipes. I only touch the card with clean hands. I wipe the card off after putting it in the machine. I also use the wipe to touch any keypads. I wipe my hands off with a fresh wipe or hand sanitizer also.

At home: if the groceries can be left in the car I just leave them sit for 2 days. That's getting more difficult as the weather gets warmer. I open the car door or trunk, take things out of bags, and wipe them. I just set the bags aside in the car to remove them a few days later.

Then I remove my outer clothing (usually a sweatshirt), sanitize my hands again and bring the groceries in the house. Then I take a shower to remove anything in the hair etc.

Edit: if I start going in a store again, I will take a paper list. Even back in February, I stopped getting my phone out in the store. That's tough to keep clean.

This is probably overkill, certainly. I'm sticking with it for now.

I may not "fear" Covid-19 but I don't want it yet either. Treatments will likely continue to get better with time.

Last edited:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    You won't get the virus through your hands, unless you have an open wound. You will get the virus, if it's on your hands and you touch your face.

How do you wear your mask without touching your face? Beats me, unless you are having a nurse put it on you and glove you up, like on MASH.
    Exactly why I am opposed to wearing a mask. It's a liberal feel good thing that is actually a true detriment to staying healthy.

The virus doesn't live very long on surfaces. Be careful handling on the trip and putting away groceries at home. By the next time you return to the groceries, they will be fine.

I agree that worrying about packages is probably overkill. I started careful protocols at home and office in March. So far, researchers haven't been able to grow infectious virus off of basic surfaces like that. The exception though is if there is a big respiratory droplet on it. At this point, the habits aren't that much trouble and so I'll keep using them for a while. I'm not going to quickly change protocols at work, because the staff needs consistency.

As for a mask, you can put on a mask with clean hands, then sanitize your hands again and leave it alone. When you remove it in the car, sanitize your hands before AND after removing it. If you are going to wear a mask yes, you need to learn not to touch it.

I agree with this most of all. The virus does appear to hang in the air for 2-3 hrs in some cases. Minimize your exposure, and likewise minimize the chance you are a transmitter to others.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    You guys are proving the complexity of the conundrum...

All this theater is not going to stop the spread, it is just feelz good ***** beyond the simple keep your hands off your face which the itchy ill fitting masks just make worse...

I'm sure masks work in a lab with protocols that don't exist in a real world...

Hence the unsolvable problem...

I agree masks provide a false sense of security, but they really aren't hurting anything if you use them properly and you wear them short term (crazy to wear them out on a jog IMO... THAT is when they are going to do more harm than good)

I'm used to wearing a mask for surgery. If you touch something you aren't supposed to, you have to get new gloves.

Some of my staff (especially the receptionist, who was never trained for "gloving in") keep adjusting their mask or half-removing it. If they touch their mask by mistake they are to "wash your hands" (or hand sanitizer if you are out and about). They do that enough times, it breaks the habit of touching the mask. We also have bags to put the mask in. If we do remove it, we sanitize hands before AND after removing the mask. Keeping spare masks handy is also a good idea so that once one gets moist (especially if you sneeze in it) you can take it off and put a dry one on.

My opinion is if we are going to do it, we might as well do it right in case it helps us or others. It's good practice not only for a more potentially serious virus, but if someone in your home is ill and you need to take care of them (let's say cancer treatment for example) understanding the infection protocols and putting them into practice is a good thing.

Under normal times, you can buy big boxes of disposable masks for 10 cents each and N95s for $1. With production up, hopefully we'll be able to use masks as what they are made for again soon.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I learned that I was right to keep buying ammo. Realized I should have not stopped reading like I used to. I’m still essential, but the closing of everything made me go back to my old ways of reloading and tinkering. The world sucks, take care of you and yours.

Okimar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2020
    Tampa
    If anyone wants good tasting free dried food for disasters or camping, I recommend Valley Foods over the other brands for flavor.

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    Bandannas are now socially acceptable to wear covering your face up.

Lesson Learned:

I should have had a six gun and leather holster in the safe for this moment.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    I do. And a few lever guns for the full effect.
    Much respect to you, CM. But I'm not as.... seasoned as you.

So my collection hasn't been fully fleshed out yet. I'm seriously thinking about how to make it happen. Moving out of state in a couple weeks and the new city mandates masks.... I need a measured (and completely legal!) response. Trench coats aren't kosher, but I can pull off 1993 Kurt Russell fairly well- always have liked to wear a suit! We'll see.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Much respect to you, CM. But I'm not as.... seasoned as you.

So my collection hasn't been fully fleshed out yet. I'm seriously thinking about how to make it happen. Moving out of state in a couple weeks and the new city mandates masks.... I need a measured (and completely legal!) response. Trench coats aren't kosher, but I can pull off 1993 Kurt Russell fairly well- always have liked to wear a suit! We'll see.

What's wrong with trench coats? Not Kosher? I see pics of Jews in NY wearing trench coats all the time!

I might be one of those folks stuck in the past, but I was wearing one before Columbine and I wasn't going to let that stop me. Even though it was suggested by my supervisor at work that my attire put people off, it still didn't stop me.

I considered putting a big "Have a Nice Day!" smiley face on it. Never did, still think it would be funny.

:)

tosharri

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Plainfield
    Lots of knowledge in this thread...I really don't have anything to add except 'thank you' FWIW from a newbie Going to subscribe so I can keep learning

Nathanaf8388

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2020
    Montezuma
    I think that buying things in plastic, or otherwise non absorbent packaging is a good first step. The. If you so choose bring them home and fog the bags with a disinfecting spray.
    In one of my past lives I worked at a large scale hog operation everything is fogged in with disinfectant or subjected to uv light for an amount of time suggested for killing viruses. So building a Uv box or disinfecting chamber are viable and affordable options if need be. The most expensive part is probably the uv fixture. Be more than happy to explain further if anyone seeks more detail to either process. You could also set up a simple danish entry system to keep contaminates entering your house to a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom