• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    What have you learned during the pandemic?

About your preps?

About your hardware?

About your skills/training?

About other preparedness?

Note - Everyone loves clever comedy and joking responses. There are lots of threads for that. It would be great if we could keep this thread on point to be productive for one and all.
    Thanks! :ingo:

Preps - Are good, we stay several months ahead in consumable items, and I have a (not large enough) stash of long term storage food that will get us past the majority of the sheep. Need to expand that after things return to normal...

Hardware - No problem there. Generator is ran and tested every few months, got tools and knowledge to fix things around the home, weapons... heh... got a couple. Also several good hiking water filters and a home-made Big Berkey style filter.

Skills/Training - Unemployed (now) aircraft mechanic. Pretty handy with my hands... Uncle Sam gave me a little training many years ago, but things like that stick with you.

Other - Never figured on losing my job so quickly. It took no time for the airlines to park most of their fleet, effectively cutting off regional airlines at the knees. My company went from flying and profitable to belly up in weeks. The margins are so thin. I will take my skills and move them to another field that will not be hit so hard and quickly in an economic crisis like this. I will be very picky in my job choice when I have the chance, take the first thing I can at first then shop myself carefully. Need to build up my cash reserves big time. I hope with our expenses reduced during all of this, I can hoard some cash now with the gov checks and my unused (3 weeks) vacation time being paid out with my last check if unemployment kicks in at an increased rate.

Open to suggestions...

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    What have you learned during the pandemic? I have learned that there seems to be 2 kinds of people. Those that take it seriously, and those that should.....

About your preps? Found we were a little light in the comfort food area. Basics are good. We won't starve by any means, but need to diversify a little more.

About your hardware? No issues in this area. Municipal supplies are not ending any time soon, but still prepared if they would.

About your skills/training? Can always learn more, but feel confident in current abilities.

About other preparedness? Went through my GHB....found some outdated items that need replaced, and some dead batteries. Batteries replaced, but outdated items will need to be ordered. Need to add a couple more items as well.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I just realized that I had been counting on my respirator to protect me, but never put any thought into protecting other people from me if I get sick. The respirator just dumps unfiltered air straight out of my mouth into the atmosphere.

So... I'll be needing some face masks or a full-on chemical rig or something in the future.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I learned that a lot of people think they're immune or a quarantine doesn't apply to them. Reconfirmed that people are idiots.

SCAR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    We are not preppers but we keep a decent amount of things on hand. Wife sat and figured it out that we have 60 normal dinners worth of stuff on hand plus about the same amount of lunches but only about 20 days worth of breakfasts. I will change that tomorrow when I make a grocery run.
    Hardware wise I am lacking at this point. Sold several handguns and long guns the past year to help a family member with medical bills. still enough to arm all of us in the house with a handgun and long gun but sadly not all with the type I want them armed with.
    We have not felt the need to panic buy anything (including TP) because we keep things on hand to be comfortable.

BUT 2 nights ago I had something fall on my hand, I knew I broke something but tried to splint it and ice hoping the swelling would go down. But after 36 hours it was not going down. So today I had to go to the urgent care (wore a N95 mask and gloves the entire time) and they confirmed I broke a couple of bones in the hand. I will be off work the next 6-8 weeks and had to expose myself to potentially sick people to get treatment. I am mad at myself that a simple mistake put myself at a increased risk. It was a eyeopener that no matter how prepared I was simple mistakes can ruin everything. Increased exposure risk, loss of dominant hand and cash reserves will need to be used being out from work the next 2 months.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    The big area where I've been caught short on supplies is food for my animals. I'm now rotating food through 5gal buckets so that I don't have to go out as often.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I have ordered 2x now mylar bags and O2 absorbers from PackFreshUSA. First time was right before the panic. Second was in the middle of it. Both times stuff came fast. Second time was slower than the first, but nothing I was worried about. Just a couple of days.

I like that they included a note in the second apologizing for the delay and that they upgraded my bags to thicker ones. Great instructions came with everything.

Had to share.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I have ordered 2x now mylar bags and O2 absorbers from PackFreshUSA. First time was right before the panic. Second was in the middle of it. Both times stuff came fast. Second time was slower than the first, but nothing I was worried about. Just a couple of days.

I like that they included a note in the second apologizing for the delay and that they upgraded my bags to thicker ones. Great instructions came with everything.

Had to share.

You brought up something I just recently learned. At least in a medical pandemic like we're in now, it appears the actually medical supplies will be the last to be sold out. ex. I haven't been feeling awesome, and I know that it appears that most people that get this stuff basically just have "the flu", and then get better. So.. If I get "the flu", it would be nice to have some flu treatment stuff on-hand. Virtually all of that stuff is in stock everywhere and at normal prices.

So... TP gone? Not a real emergency
    Actual medical treatment items gone? Ut oh...

Add a sidebar there that we should all be prepping our med supplies for more than infections and injuries (which is all I really did). I never saw virus treatment coming.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    I’ve felt pretty comfortable about everything so far. I didn’t find myself really wishing “damn I wish I had...” the only real exception Being comms.

I’ve got several small walkie talkie type handhelds that could work in a real pinch and a noaa emergency radio, but I think I’ve finally decided that something a little more robust is needed on hand. I know baofeng seems to be the go to radio and given how cheap they are it’s my own fault, as a former USMC radio operator I’m really disappointed in myself on this one haha. But i figure if that was the only thing I found to be lacking, I’m doing alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Seems like a short list of lessons learned...
    Maybe this will spark discussion:

In this time of crisis, are you still prepared for secondary event(s)/fallout that pushes things over the edge?

We often prepare for a single event that causes the cascade. As in negligent discharges and modern airplane crashes, usually the system(s) can deal with a single shock/disruption/error.
    When there are multiple failures, these often compound the original issue far beyond the system's abilities to cope with either singly.

If there were additional stressors on:
    • financials
    • transportation
    • energy
    • communications
    • food/water
    • community stability (riots, floods, tornadoes, earthquakes, local govt services)

Last edited:

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Nojoy621;8240423I know baofeng seems to be the go to radio and given how cheap they are it’s my own fault said:
    The Baofangs require a HAM license to operate them. As a former radio operator, getting a license should be a piece of cake for you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Seems like a short list of lessons learned...
    Maybe this will spark discussion:

In this time of crisis, are you still prepared for secondary event(s)/fallout that pushes things over the edge?

We often prepare for a single event that causes the cascade. As in negligent discharges and modern airplane crashes, usually the system(s) can deal with a single shock/disruption/error.
    When there are multiple failures, these often compound the original issue far beyond the system's abilities to cope with either singly.

If there were additional stressors on:
    • financials
    • transportation
    • energy
    • communications
    • food/water
    • community stability (riots, floods, tornadoes, earthquakes, local govt services)

Simple answer.....yes.

I am seeing the females (daughter and spouse) still seek out their comfort foods etc. AS long as the food stores are stocked they will not fall totally into the "MODE" And keeping the Terrorists (see avatar) calm I let them have a fair run on these things.

If SGR up in here then all bets are off and the locks go on the gates.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    My lessons learned.

Preps were good, some holes but nothing that was disastrous. Hardware good. Although some accessories have some holes that need filling. Got a list going of corrections to make.

Needed to change routine to maintain prep levels.

1. Fill gas tank anytime I got to a half tank.
    2. Make a list of items consumed and shopped specifically for them each store run. At the start, store runs weren't quite as organized. Changed the concept of consumed to be when an item is first opened and not when the container is thrown away. Think flour. Open a bag, it goes on the list.
    3. I do need to implement a better inventory management system. Had a couple of items drop below desired stock levels. Luckily caught it before totally out and was able to remedy.
    4. Loaded the WalMart app on my phone. Created my shop list in it. Setup my desired store. Now whenever I use the app and open my list, it tells me if the item is in stock at that time or not. I know WallyWorld is not a favorite shopping destination for many, but I haven't figured out how to do this in Kroger's app. My default store is normally Aldi, but sometimes you just gotta go where you gotta go. Luckily, I have 3 Kroger, 2 Aldi, Trader Joes, Fresh Thyme Market and WallyWorld all within 3 miles of my house.
    5. My greatest shopping need is Home Depot. Thank God hardware stores are considered essential. :thumbsup: This 'stay home' directive has been very costly for me. :laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My lessons learned.

Preps were good, some holes but nothing that was disastrous. Hardware good. Although some accessories have some holes that need filling. Got a list going of corrections to make.

Needed to change routine to maintain prep levels.

1. Fill gas tank anytime I got to a half tank.
    2. Make a list of items consumed and shopped specifically for them each store run. At the start, store runs weren't quite as organized. Changed the concept of consumed to be when an item is first opened and not when the container is thrown away. Think flour. Open a bag, it goes on the list.
    3. I do need to implement a better inventory management system. Had a couple of items drop below desired stock levels. Luckily caught it before totally out and was able to remedy.
    4. Loaded the WalMart app on my phone. Created my shop list in it. Setup my desired store. Now whenever I use the app and open my list, it tells me if the item is in stock at that time or not. I know WallyWorld is not a favorite shopping destination for many, but I haven't figured out how to do this in Kroger's app. My default store is normally Aldi, but sometimes you just gotta go where you gotta go. Luckily, I have 3 Kroger, 2 Aldi, Trader Joes, Fresh Thyme Market and WallyWorld all within 3 miles of my house.
    5. My greatest shopping need is Home Depot. Thank God hardware stores are considered essential. :thumbsup: This 'stay home' directive has been very costly for me. :laugh:

#5 all the way. I have smashed my CC at HD and Lowes. 1 more trip[ to Lowes tomorrow and I am good through 4 somewhat major projects and 2 avg ones.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    The Baofangs require a HAM license to operate them. As a former radio operator, getting a license should be a piece of cake for you.

True, but I can always listen, and I believe no license is required to transmit during an emergency. And if the shtf enough for me to use it, a fine from the FCC would be my last concern.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    True, but I can always listen, and I believe no license is required to transmit during an emergency. And if the shtf enough for me to use it, a fine from the FCC would be my last concern.

Bingo. Not advocating being outside the law but if things got that serious mine would come into play.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Truth is this has been a huge learning experience. Have learned a lot about strengths and weaknesses in my preps. I will not post specifics but since I am in the this will blow over fairly soon camp, while planning for it not to, I am already making plans for both the next phase of this and the the next event. The thing I am chewing on is the old "Generals are always planning to fight the last war" and not planning for what is to come adage.

Diversify is the rule best followed...

Top Bottom