• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The poor worry about food for today. Bills at end of week ect.

You don't see those of us prepped up a bit crying on TV about lack of gas water rice and beans. Call it economic disparities of social position or what you will. Not a rich man here by far but family is good for three weeks to three months depending on comfort level they are talking about. In three weeks the kids won't like what they eat. In three months they will still have food.

Pretty much how we are positioned.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Other items to add:

A good folding knife and a fixed blade.
    Cash....ATM's and credit cards may not work.
    Living in Florida, we kept a marine VHF band radio.
    Space blankets.
    Waterproof bags with clothing.
    Handi-wet wipes.
    Toilet paper.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Why? Money! There are 45 million people in the U.S. living below the poverty level. Many of them on the very lowest income level. The really poor people are usually worrying about food on the table today and will worry about the future when it gets here.
    Or they'll read about it on their cellphone while smoking a cigarette, drinking a beer, watching cable tv!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Good camping gear. Coleman lanterns and stoves, mine run off the liquid fuel not gas cylinders and I have a few extra gallons stored.

HHQ and I have been doing scouts for a couple of decades now, we have enough equipment to not be bothered by power outages for much.

2M shortwave handheld with extra battery pack. Cells down? No problem.

This is INGO so firearms should not need to be mentioned; but more ammo.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good camping gear. Coleman lanterns and stoves, mine run off the liquid fuel not gas cylinders and I have a few extra gallons stored.

HHQ and I have been doing scouts for a couple of decades now, we have enough equipment to not be bothered by power outages for much.

2M shortwave handheld with extra battery pack. Cells down? No problem.

This is INGO so firearms should not need to be mentioned; but more ammo.

I still have the old liquid (white gas) Coleman's we used when I was a kid. The leather seals on the tank pumps have long given up. I wonder if I could rebuild those. I have 2 gallons of fuel in my stores.
    We have stoves/lanterns/heaters that are bottle gas driven. Lots and lots of bottled gas and 4 30# propane tanks with the regulator and adapter kit.

Now I will be googling this all night.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Here ya go.

https://www.coleman.com/coleman-lantern-and-stove-repair.html

When I was in Wichita a couple years ago I discussed with a technician at the factory a problem I was having with mine. The tank wouldn't pressurize. He gave me his business card and told me to mail it to him. A couple weeks later he sent it back with a new tank and generator. He said that the interior outlet of the tank under the pump had rusted...a very rare thing he said. $20 and it works great again. Looks like the pricing has gone up on having them do it for you.

And yes, you can find parts for any of them still. Good luck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Here ya go.

https://www.coleman.com/coleman-lantern-and-stove-repair.html

When I was in Wichita a couple years ago I discussed with a technician at the factory a problem I was having with mine. The tank wouldn't pressurize. He gave me his business card and told me to mail it to him. A couple weeks later he sent it back with a new tank and generator. He said that the interior outlet of the tank under the pump had rusted...a very rare thing he said. $20 and it works great again. Looks like the pricing has gone up on having them do it for you.

And yes, you can find parts for any of them still. Good luck.

One of my fondest memory's as a kid was setting up the campsite on a Thursday or Friday night listening to the sounds of Coleman lanterns being pumped up and hammers driving steel tent stakes all through the camp grounds. There was no power. All primitive. And in the morning the sound of dad pumping up the stove to make coffee and get breakfast rolling. Those pumps have a sound unique unto themselves.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    For how many hours will an old school Coleman lantern burn, with a full tank?

I've never checked the hours, but if run only at night when you need them they last for weeks. I can cook a week of meals on the stove without worrying about refueling. YMMV as always.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    As an addendum, the lanterns can burn brighter than most electric lights and the stove makes the grids glow red. They are extremely effective and don't even understand what an EMP is.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    IMG_7766-msr-stoves.jpg

We have the one on the left. Still works great after more than 30 years. Burns auto gas, white gas, kerosene, jet fuel, diesel, Stoddard solvent, almost anything. Boils a quart in less than 5 minutes. Weighs less than 1 lb.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    For how many hours will an old school Coleman lantern burn, with a full tank?

A little more info I found: 1 gal of Coleman Fuel will last as long as 4.5 cylinders of propane. A 2 mantle lantern puts out up to 700 lumens and lights about a 16 meter ring. Depending on how bright you burn it a tank lasts from 5.25-13.5 hours.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Coleman said if I send them my stove tanks and lanterns they will fix them up for a nominal fee.
    I am considering this.

That is an easy call friend. My motto that makes my kids groan because they hear it so much: "Better have it and not need it than need it and not have it".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That is an easy call friend. My motto that makes my kids groan because they hear it so much: "Better have it and not need it than need it and not have it".

One of mine as well.
    Looks like I will be doing some shipping when I dig them out.

And in all of this I stepped up in the genny arena. We now have more than enough power to run everything. Upgraded the old genny. It still runs but tends to get a bit cantankerous on occasion. I gave it to a friend that is seriously getting into being prepared.

Top Bottom