• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I'd like to build a story with all of you involved.

Everyone post a paragraph or two to go with the flow of the story in the previous post or move it in a new direction.
    ----
    ____

Rick Schmid looked up the hill at the cabin 1,000 feet off the road with the only working lights on in the area. His family was cold, hungry and almost out of clean water. They were down to the last candle and box of matches. His wife has not stopped yelling at him to get more food and water for three days! He was happy to leave the house to find some supplies, because then he could work out his plan.

He took his wagon, ax and buckets and walked down by the creek to try to find some water under the thick ice. He carried a .22 in case the dogs came back, but only had three rounds left in the pistol.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Rick chopped through the ice, Thinking about his screaming wife and family he made a decision right there. Rick lowered himself through the hole in the ice, as he passed the plane of the ice and the open hole began to freeze he finally felt at ease. No more screaming wife and whiny kids.

Rick closed his eyes and slowly drowned in his icy grave.

After several hours Mrs.Schmid (Helen) began to worry about Rick, she had heard the dog pack off in the distance. It was then she decided she could no longer just wait on her husband to provide for the family if her children and herself were to survive she would have to put fourth some effort too. Leaving the eldest of the 3 children in charge, Little Rick. She went to the dwindling wood pile and split more firewood. Always mindful of the roving dog pack and the other numerous dangers out there, she worked as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    A few hours later, when it was beginning to get light, a man emerged from the cabin to cut a hole in the ice and begin ice fishing. When he saw the hole, he thought it was his lucky day, until he hooked Rick's cold, lifeless body...

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    As he looked upon the cold, lifeless eyes of his "catch" he realized that he knew this man...Rick Schmid...the laziest, most worthless man in the territory. The fisherman knew that Rick had failed at everything he had touched, his family, his job and his friends...So with that, the fisherman released his catch back to God and proceeded to head towards the Schmid cabin....

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    The fire was warm, the food was hot and the kids looked great eating a warm meal cooked in the fireplace.

Helen was happy to provide for the kids even with the loss of her husband of 10 years from the drowning accident.

Cooked dog does taste good with mustard! She had 4 more dogs gutted and drying in the cold storage room for future meals. Sarah is wondering what cat tastes like?

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    The man knocked on the Schmid cabin door. Always cautious, Helen looked through the peep hole with the dog-killing .22 rifle in her hands. She recognized Simon Schuester, the man that lived alone in the cabin down by the creek. A loner, Helen had always found him strange, but yet attractive. Unlike her shiftless husband, she knew he was a "prepper", and she admired that. Besides he was quite handsome: 50-something, slightly balding and maybe 30 pounds overweight.

Last edited:

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Even though Simon had an M4gery slung around his neck, Helen didn't feel intimidated as she slowly opened the door to see what he wanted. The look on his face said something serious was afoot.

Last edited:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Conservation officer Jack Boot peered through his binoculars at the small cabin where their target suspect Rick Schmid was hiding out in, one of Rick's neighbors had reported witnessing Mr. Schmid poaching a deer earlier that morning.

Shortly after the collapse of the US dollar, the large number of unemployed who tried to supplement their allotted government rations by trying to feed their family "off of the land" had caused many of the wild animal (but specifically game animal) populations to become endangered of being completely wiped out in the continental US.

As a result, all hunting & fishing had been prohibited & strictly enforced.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Even though Simon had an M4gery slung around his neck, Helen didn't feel intimidated as she slowly opened the door to see what he wanted. The look on his face said something serious was afoot.

When Simon informed Helen that her husband had passed was a little surprised at how well she took it. Even though Rick had always been one step above useless, Rick and Helen had always loved each other. It was a product of the times. Helen simply didn't have the time or energy to grieve for her husband at this point. She was also very anxious to know what future plans Simon had. At this point she was in desperate need of a provider for her family. The children were too small to do any significant work, and the youngest was only 6 months old and required much of her time.

Helen thanked Simon for taking the time to inform her about Rick and offered him a seat by the fire and cup of tea. He graciously accepted not knowing what else to do. Simon could plainly see the worry and anxiety on Helen's face as she worked to fill the tea pot and put it on the fire. He knew that without his help the entire family would perish. That was not something he could not carry on his conscious.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    However Simon was not without issues of his own. Although he had purposely avoided "entangling relationships" in the past, deep down he was envious of the companionship many couples shared. Maybe this was the opportunity he'd always hoped for. Maybe here was his chance to share his abilities and resources with someone who would appreciate them. But could Helen see beyond his rough exterior? Could she accept him for what he is: a "prepper", a true patriot to the principles of the county from its founding? Or had Helen become one of the "libertards" through constant exposure to the lies of the media and the gubmint?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Another thing had Simon disturbed. Prior to all forms of broadcast information breaking down, there had been odd reports in the media of unruly, shambling mobs attacking people and, if the report could be believed, eating them...

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    "Helen," Simon said, "I hate to be blunt, but there is some bad stuff going down. Stuff I can't even tell you. I believe it would be best if you and the kids camped out up at my cabin, where we will all be safe and have plenty of supplies. I admire how you have been feeding the kids best you can, on dogs and such, but I think we'd all be better off staying at my place."

(Long Bow: you started this thing, where are you?)

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Simon quietly smiled to himself. All that ribbing he had taken about being paranoid and "touched in the head" was well worth it. Even with the addition of Helen and her children, there was plenty to last them all quite awhile. Water was no issue thanks to the location he had chosen to build his cabin. The outer perimeter could be easily defended for the same reason. He had spent a lot of time laying out dead falls, pits, and various assorted "surprises" for any uninvited guests all the while hoping to never need them. But now, he knew that his labor had not been in vain. It was only a matter of when, not if....

"I don't remember when the kids and I ate so much" Helen said, breaking his train of thought. "They'll sleep sound tonight, that's for sure."

It hadn't taken much convincing to persuade Helen to bring the children and stay with him for awhile. Something about safety in numbers had been discussed, but he couldn't quite put his finger on what sealed the deal. She was a strong woman without doubt, but there was something else. Doesn't matter, he thought. She and the kids are here and they're safe.

"Glad you liked it. Sorry that it wasn't better, but I never was much of a cook," he replied "Just never seemed to be much need for "fancy vittles."

"Well, I thought it was delicious. Maybe you'll allow me to show you a few simple tricks of mine in the kitchen," laughed Helen.

"Please, be my guest. Like ol' Harry Callahan said, "A man's got to know his limitations" and I know mine ain't in that area," Simon grinned back.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    The night of merciful rest was interrupted when Simon's GSD went on fully alert. From the moonlight shining in the cabin window, Simon could see Wolfy's hair standing on end as he growled and snarled. Simon peered out the window and saw figures moving. There were several, and they seemed to be trying to approach the cabin. Simon looked over and Helen and the kids were all still asleep, so he slung the M4's sling over his shoulder and neck, and touched his 10mm Glock in its holster on his belt. He slipped the nightvision goggles over his head and looked at the window. It was worse than he thought.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Damn, he muttered quietly to himself, this ain't the way I planned to spend the night. Some sleep would have been nice.

As he watched, he counted 8 maybe 10 figures threading their way between the trees to get to the cabin. Of course they were trying to be quiet, but most of them were encountering the surprises he had rigged. The barbed wire strung at shin height had caught at least 3 of them tripping them nicely. And landing on the hawthorne trees that he had put there didn't make that landing very pleasant. A couple of others had rushed to help them, only to be entangled by the hidden razor wire. Their well thought out ambush had quickly become a loud free for all with every man for himself. One of the pits held the loudest of the group who was not shy about ordering the others to come and get him out. Upon his extraction, Simon heard some muffled conversation and watched them head back to the road. More than a few were limping pretty good and 2 of them had to be carried away.

To bad they didn't make it to the clearing, Simon thought patting the M4, we'd have had some real fun then.

"What's that noise?" asked Helen rousing from her bed in the back room.

"Nothing to be concerned about. Just some boys passing thru," replied Simon, trying not to look to concerned. "probably out poaching or something."

"Poaching? OK, we'll call it that for now" anwsered Helen. "I'm going back to bed now, but if the "poachers" return, you get me up."

"Sure thing," replied Simon, "I'll just sit up a bit and calm Wolfy down. See you in the morning" She knows something ain't right, he thought, but now's not the time to get into it. Let her get a decent night's sleep and I'll fill her in over coffee in the morning.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    meanwhile the group of thugs went back to their hideout that they had taken from one of Simons neighbors who hadnt been ready. Simon knew where they had been holding up at. He thought maybe they would avoid him knowing his background as a former Special Forces medic. But he had still prepared for this coarse that they chose to take. Now he was wondering if he should have just went himself and took care of the problem before now. never mind that he said. the past is the past and this is now. The next day Simon decided to reassess his perimeter security. He knew next time they would be back with more hired guns and a more strategic approach. Simon also knew it was time for him to rely on the MSG network he had been part of. Within a couple hours of sending out the "signal" Simon had 10 well armed and trained, loyal friends on his door step ready to handle this threat to their family. It was good to see the guys again. These last months had been hard on all of them, even though they were ready. many had lost friends, co-workers, and family that had refused to heed the warnings and just blew them off as over the top anti-govt ranting. But now there was no question of who had been right. But this wasnt a time for bragging. They had a job to do. survival was day to day. They knew that at anytime if one member of their group was allowed to be compromised that they could be next. This was a bond built of Honor and Integrity. These men were willing to die for each other if need be. Simon felt a warm sense of peace come over him. Even though he was prepared, and trained, he knew he could'nt go it alone. not this time.
    After some quick refreshments and catching up and introductions to Simons new family, the group set out on their plan.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    "We are going to have to hit the BGs hard and fast" Simon said. "Based on what they already did to the neighbors, we know what they are capable of. If we take care if this problem now, maybe we can live in peace around here for a while". Wesley Bowie, the most combat hardened of the MSG, laid out the plan. "We set up a perimeter around their hold out before dawn. At first light, I pop a flashbang in through the front window. Using the coordinated infiltration we've been practicing, a three man attack group will breach and enter the back door. Our weapon lights will allow us to identify targets in the dark interior. We'll clear the rooms, and any that get flushed out will be bagged by the rest of you on the perimeter. We need to be careful: these dirt bags may have hostages."

Top Bottom