• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Got an inheritance and the process of doling out everything was easy. There was a safe deposit box at issue that I was closest to geographically so I got to empty it. I opened it, and there was a sealed envelope. Inside that envelope was....a hand drawn picture of a hand giving the middle finger.

It remains an enduring family mystery, and one of the most surprisingly funny things I have ever experienced.

well now I know what I’m going to do....only I’m going to add in a ridiculous string of clues leading up to it!

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    When people have/work for nothing and they see something it is a free for all. I have seen it 1st hand. Ridiculous. Idiocy. Tripping over $10 bills to fight for quarters.
    Our family farm was stripped away much the same way. Step mom outlived great grand dad. Her douche bag kids (there are several things I would like to call them.....but) raided the place. She went through the estate in a few years and had to sell off the property. She was quick to stop any of us from coming on the land for any reason. So very sad to see.

Second and third marriages often leave the first marriage children out of the inheritance since Dad usually marries a younger woman who out lives him.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Some people can be a-holes to anyone sadly....My friend's father passed away about 18 months ago. My friend is in MI, the dad PA. His dad's wife, whom my friend offered to care for (WITH OTHER FAMILY HELP) and move her to MI, ended up cutting him out. This was due to her sister and other family. Well, long story short, after she cut my friend out, her family put her in a cheap senior home and sold all her sh^t.
    She called my friend begging for help. He reminded her of what she said to him in cutting him out and told her she deserved what was happening to her. Not a move I 'd make, but I can't fault the thought.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some people can be a-holes to anyone sadly....My friend's father passed away about 18 months ago. My friend is in MI, the dad PA. His dad's wife, whom my friend offered to care for (WITH OTHER FAMILY HELP) and move her to MI, ended up cutting him out. This was due to her sister and other family. Well, long story short, after she cut my friend out, her family put her in a cheap senior home and sold all her sh^t.
    She called my friend begging for help. He reminded her of what she said to him in cutting him out and told her she deserved what was happening to her. Not a move I 'd make, but I can't fault the thought.

Well, it took some serious braves to call. But yes, she was living "Karma" 1st hand.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My wife's father left her as executor of the will. He left a house that was completely upside down in mortgages (that he wanted to leave to his son) and completely full of garbage. He also left his life insurance to his son (who didn't think he should have to use it to pay for the funeral).

After a few thousand dollars out of our pocket, we're still the bad guys because we're better off than the rest (they conveniently forget that we both have good paying jobs and low debt).

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    People make a BIG mistake when they have one of the beneficiaries of their Will also act as the Executor, because it adds the potential for hard feelings.
    But I see it all the time.

When my mother passed, she had a will, and had a TRUSTED NEUTRAL 3rd PARTY act as the Executor.

Everything was smoothly divided by the Executor according to the Will.

Because of this, there were no hard feelings whatsoever in settling mom's estate, and I still have a relationship with my sister.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My wife's father left her as executor of the will. He left a house that was completely upside down in mortgages (that he wanted to leave to his son) and completely full of garbage. He also left his life insurance to his son (who didn't think he should have to use it to pay for the funeral).

After a few thousand dollars out of our pocket, we're still the bad guys because we're better off than the rest (they conveniently forget that we both have good paying jobs and low debt).

Family.........Meh. I refer to mine of course.

The spouses family set the high water mark in how to deal with an estate. There was 1 idiot sister but (her mother had written protections into the will) the brother had all the ammo he needed and was a prince through the entire process. As painless as loosing a loved one can possibly be.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Some years before my dad died, he told us kids that he'd cashed in both his and my mom's life insurance and pre-planned their funerals. That seem like very good sense to me, although based on past experience I was a little bit surprised that dad would be as proactive and responsible as that.

My suspicions were confirmed when he died and, after talking with the funeral director with mom, we learned that he'd done the planning part (including an expensive solid oak casket and a beautiful laser-etched headstone) but he'd only made the first few payments and spent the rest on god knows what. Dad got a nice funeral, minus the solid oak casket.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    My father had a trust that would have been passed to myself, brother and sister. The trust dissolved before my father passed and the recipients of said trust created a corporation to continue forward. This was/is a large chunk of change (1600+ acres of farm land with oil/gas leases). As the children we knew that my father wanted this to go to my stepmother(first mistake) she always told us when she died it would go back to the three of us. Years pass and step mother gets the big C and beats it only to have it come back several years later. She dies with no will and months prior calls my sister in and gives the "trust " to her but without the will my stepmothers sister decides she wants her share. In the end my brother and I got nothing and my sister no longer talks to either of us. My step mothers sister did get a part of it. My cousin handled the legal stuff for my sister and his firm was stiffed for their fees by one of the other law forms involved in the deal.Would it be nice to have the money...yes as I said it is a large amount, in the end it is a water under the bridge. I can't/won't live my life on "what if's".

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My dad passed going on 3 years ago now.
    All four of us kids got nothing.
    His entire estate reverted to his wife, our step-mother.
    She says the remainder of the estate will be evenly divided upon her demise.

Just about 2 months ago, completely out of the blue, my dads brother, my uncle, purchased 50 acres of woods for "hunting property".
    The news surprised me because uncle is 80+ years old. I couldn't imagine he's got too many more hunting years left.
    Then he REALLY blew my mind when he told me that he put my name, and those of my two brothers, on the deed!
    I got an "inheritance" before he passed, and I get to enjoy it WITH my uncle!

I got MUCH more than I ever expected, and from a place i wasn't expecting.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    My uncle left me a Savage Stevens model 1915, Favorite 22lr single shot rifle in excellent condition.

My father in law left me a S&W model 10, 4 inch 38 special.

These beat any other inheritance I could ever receive.

rkwhyte2

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    My uncle left me a Savage Stevens model 1915, Favorite 22lr single shot rifle in excellent condition.

My father in law left me a S&W model 10, 4 inch 38 special.

These beat any other inheritance I could ever receive.

My step mother sold my fathers entire gun cabinet for $1200. Browning Auto 5 12 gauge, Browning T-bolt 22 caliber, Colt Woodsman 22 caliber, my grandfather 12 gauge and my uncles 12 gauge. Also assorted other pistol. I'd say I was upset but that doesn't quite reach the level I was feeling when I learned this. Mind you my father passed in 1992.

Did I say my step mother was evil...

rkwhyte2

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    My dad passed going on 3 years ago now.
    All four of us kids got nothing.
    His entire estate reverted to his wife, our step-mother.
    She says the remainder of the estate will be evenly divided upon her demise.

Just about 2 months ago, completely out of the blue, my dads brother, my uncle, purchased 50 acres of woods for "hunting property".
    The news surprised me because uncle is 80+ years old. I couldn't imagine he's got too many more hunting years left.
    Then he REALLY blew my mind when he told me that he put my name, and those of my two brothers, on the deed!
    I got an "inheritance" before he passed, and I get to enjoy it WITH my uncle!

I got MUCH more than I ever expected, and from a place i wasn't expecting.

Dude that is so cool...you have a very cool uncle.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Lost dad quick and unexpected. It was common knowledge his earthly possesions were to go to his sons, including a large chunk of property here in indiana and a farm land in another state. His second wife was already incredibly rich from selling a huge company she had built up. But their was no will. She literally took/sold/gave away everything to her side of the family, starting before the old man had even passed. Me and my brother ended up with the farm after legal action blah blah blah. had to knock on doors asking for heirloom guns back from her side of the family.. didnt get most back. Otherwise everything was lost to us. It was hard enough losing him before I was even 20 years old. Get yout wills together folks. Make it easy on the ones you leave behind.

rkwhyte2

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Money messes with people minds. Would I like to have more of it...well yeah Duhhh... but I don't and I accept that and move on.

Don't even get me started with my wife's side of the family.

rkwhyte2

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Lost dad quick and unexpected. It was common knowledge his earthly possesions were to go to his sons, including a large chunk of property here in indiana and a farm land in another state. His second wife was already incredibly rich from selling a huge company she had built up. But their was no will. She literally took/sold/gave away everything to her side of the family, starting before the old man had even passed. Me and my brother ended up with the farm after legal action blah blah blah. had to knock on doors asking for heirloom guns back from her side of the family.. didnt get most back. Otherwise everything was lost to us. It was hard enough losing him before I was even 20 years old. Get yout wills together folks. Make it easy on the ones you leave behind.

This can't be said often enough.

Top Bottom