• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tacticalmaster45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 18, 2016
    Evansville
    When my maternal grandmother passed I and a cousin (the two youngest of the families) received notice that we were the beneficiaries of a life insurance policy from one of her previous employers. We didn't know if it would be enough to buy a car or get a carwash. Ended up being around $500 each. We each took our families out to dinner to celebrate her life.

For me personally though, it will get interesting. I am single, on the wrong side of 50, and have no children. My nieces and nephews have successful parents and as hard as I try to get my folks to spend their money, the five kids will all share a bit. I don't plan or think about it though. Having said that, I am having fun planning on my demise and dispersal of my estate. I am not rich by any means but will have funds to give away. I am planning on establishing a couple scholarships in my parents' names (they were both educators), with the bulk of the rest going to various local charities.
    I'd be happy to take ownership of your firearms when you kick the can Mr Snorko.... :laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The spouse and I have been preparing our will. We have most of it in order.
    She asked what will I do with the contents of the gun safes. I had been mulling this over. I see no real issues with the kids. For the most part they are close and get along. But why bait a situation.
    So I went about building each of the 4 a custom 1911. I put their personality's into each one. It is not hard to do with a 1911. A G**** not so much.
    All of them are filled with EGW ignition controls and the slides have a lot of show off machine work.

My oldest son Paul likes commanders...So,
    1QT30my.jpg

The only daughter picked her colors...Her nickname is Sissy. That really is an S on the slide. Note that all the crap roll marks are gone from all 4 of them
    lJqZmIL.jpg

The daughter's significant other likes Stainless..........I have since the pic put the same grips on this that Paul's commander has
    BNBO9Ri.jpg

The younger son nickname was given by his sister.....so,
    HBQO56v.jpg

By the time I am done I hope to have most of the rest moved to new homes. But I need to stop building them 1st.....:cool:

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    my sister has made sure our mother has nothing . when the day comes , I'll see her at moms funeral. I've arranged to have word get out about the "life insurance" policy she had that no one knew about . With it being for only myself and our other sister . there isn't one . We will then sit back and wait . There are 3 siblings that will come apart at the seams wanting their share.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say my obit will say funeral at 11, auction will follow.

You know, friends and I used to joke that when one of us died, it would be a heck of an auction. Well, a friend did pass and it was. It was almost a social event. Maybe I could plan it that way. An open keg would spur on the bidding.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    my sister has made sure our mother has nothing . when the day comes , I'll see her at moms funeral. I've arranged to have word get out about the "life insurance" policy she had that no one knew about . With it being for only myself and our other sister . there isn't one . We will then sit back and wait . There are 3 siblings that will come apart at the seams wanting their share.

That is mean and fabulous at the same time. ;)

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    My only shot at a fortune in inheritance was the wife's Great Aunt. The lady was filthy rich. She lost millions in GM stock alone, over 100,000 shares, that she refused to sell before they went under. Her and her husband (who preceded her in death) never had any children, and both were attorneys for GM. They had a huge farm in Tipton, barns and houses full of collectible plates, silver, gold, cookie jars, guns, clocks, art, etc. She gave 101 donations a month to different charitable organizations, most for animals. She trusted no one but the fine old guy and his wife from her church. She made sure there was no family squabbling....it was all given to charity. She was a nice old lady (around 90 at passing) just a little ecentric to say the least.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Negligent Death lawsuit settlements don't pay out very much. And even less when divided by 4 siblings. That much I do know. 1/4 of her life insurance was almost enough to pay for a nice kitchen remodel, however.

Also - Both of MY parents have re-married. My mom and step dad have been married for 30 years. My dad and his wife have been together for half that and married for about 10, I think.

Step-dad's kids basically want nothing to do with him. They own about 120 acres (3 or 4 parcels) and 3 businesses. Their property / business / mortgage / security / collateral situation is a big ol' C.F. I've tried and tried and tried to get the facts of the situation from my mom. But there's been lots of borrowing against parcel A to pay for parcel B, and against A to pay for C, etc. Plus they have tenants in 2 different homes on parcel B. I can only imagine that their estate lawyer is going to make out like a bandit.

Before my dad and his wife got married, I was his sole beneficiary (I'm an only child). Now that he's married, however, SHE's the main beneficiary (as it should be, IMO). He did tell me that I'm still the beneficiary of one of his retirement investment accounts. However - that's money that he's been drawing from in order to live since his medical retirement...understandable.

As it stand right now - I'm not counting on receiving anything. That way if I DO, it'll be a very nice bonus.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I gave my youngest daughter a letter, signed and dated, leaving any and all firearms and related equipment to her.
    Her and her family are the only ones qualified to handle or use any of it. It is all quality stuff, no junk.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    when Mom passed 7 years ago, it was very unexpected. Nothing was planned, no will, nothing. Dad took control and got plots, planned the funeral and paid for it all.
    After the pain had settled some from the loss, I sat Dad down and asked him to please get things in order, will, copies of insurance, deed to the house etc. He has done this, my brother and I are the executors.
    I can say now, nothing will bring me comfort when he passes, not the money, the house, nothing. Since making the will and paying for his funeral arrangements, he signed paperwork to donate his body to a local university. I pray I don't have to worry about any of this for a very long time, but he's 76 this year, it's inevitable.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    As it stand right now - I'm not counting on receiving anything. That way if I DO, it'll be a very nice bonus.

Yup.
    I'm an only child so shouldn't have too many issues when both my folks are gone. They like to give me a hard time about "spending my inheritance," just joking around, such as when they do some remodeling or travel somewhere. "Good!" I say. "It's your money. Where are you going on your next trip?!"

My uncle passed away, oh ~25 yrs ago. He had a small firearms collection. A couple nice things, a couple ok items, and a couple pieces of junk. A few years later as I was getting into shooting and competing, my aunt would always ask me about my matches, ect. One day she tells me she wanted to give me my uncle's whole collection. At first I about filled my shorts when she said he had an M16 he bought in the early 80s, never fired! I went to look at it, and it had no 3rd pin. Turned out it was a Vietnam commemorative semi-auto A1 style AR-15 that said M16 on it (high gloss finish, lots of gold plating, etc). Still cool & still never fired. I protested a little, knowing some cousins might also be interested, but she wanted them to go to me. She had a letter notarized stating she gave the collection to me incase it became an issue later. She passed a year or so ago. Mom said someone asked about the guns, but she told them the aunt had given them to me many years ago, and it was dropped. As family took different keepsakes/mementos, I didn't look for anything else, the guns were more than my fair share, and something to remember both my aunt and uncle by.

-rvb

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    when Mom passed 7 years ago, it was very unexpected. Nothing was planned, no will, nothing. Dad took control and got plots, planned the funeral and paid for it all.
    After the pain had settled some from the loss, I sat Dad down and asked him to please get things in order, will, copies of insurance, deed to the house etc. He has done this, my brother and I are the executors.
    I can say now, nothing will bring me comfort when he passes, not the money, the house, nothing. Since making the will and paying for his funeral arrangements, he signed paperwork to donate his body to a local university. I pray I don't have to worry about any of this for a very long time, but he's 76 this year, it's inevitable.

Quick note: Be sure that the local university will take him. Make sure you have plan B ready to go. Only a small % of bodies donated will be accepted.

Top Bottom