iherdsomething2.jpg
      120.8 KB · Views: 2

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    despite the post above, need to get some leather and try this out..

Just like knives and guns it can be an expensive hobby. It is a lot of fun and I get a lot of enjoyment from taking a some cow hide to a functional piece of kit. There is tons of info and tutorials on youtube to get you started if you decide you want to get into it.

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I make lots of other leather stuff also. I have made a wallet for my friend and I also make quite a few custom dog collars as well. Here is one of my latest collars for my brothers American Bulldog. I hand cut and and riveted the copper on it and dyed and painted it then laced it.

Also made leash to match it

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    Outstanding! I love leather work of any kind. Quick question "D"...where do you buy your leather? I'm curious because I am looking for better quality stuff and am looking for suggestions. I'm about to embarq on an all out holster build. You know, I've made holsters for a lot of my friends and acquaintances but never for myself. It's time to do some leather for my own guns. Besides, it's cold and nasty outside and I'm a wimp.

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Outstanding! I love leather work of any kind. Quick question "D"...where do you buy your leather? I'm curious because I am looking for better quality stuff and am looking for suggestions. I'm about to embarq on an all out holster build. You know, I've made holsters for a lot of my friends and acquaintances but never for myself. It's time to do some leather for my own guns. Besides, it's cold and nasty outside and I'm a wimp.

Lagrange,
    I buy it from various places. Still get some from Tandy when they are having a decent sale. I also like Springfield Leather for my exotics and I also like that they will sell you some of the nice leathers like Herman Oak in smaller quantities. You could order a few square feet for a decent price and see if you like it or not ( I'm certain you will). They have top notch customer service and fast shipping. Great people to deal with. They also sell some exotics in small quantities which is pretty uncommon.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Lagrange,
    I buy it from various places. Still get some from Tandy when they are having a decent sale. I also like Springfield Leather for my exotics and I also like that they will sell you some of the nice leathers like Herman Oak in smaller quantities. You could order a few square feet for a decent price and see if you like it or not ( I'm certain you will). They have top notch customer service and fast shipping. Great people to deal with. They also sell some exotics in small quantities which is pretty uncommon.

Have you ever tried Landwerlen in downtown Indianapolis? They are great guys.

They have a great scrap selection and are always willing to help.

The only thing they are lacking is hardware. They cater to mail orders and shoe repair places, so they don't have all the latest clips, buckles and tools.

Everything else there is great and pretty cheap. I got some Horween chrome tanned sides there for $3/sf. It is a limited time thing, but they have a lot of random scraps there.

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    Cool stuff. I like your stitching horse. I dont use too much chrome tanned leather, in fact the only chrome tanned leather I have is some deer skins I had tanned about 15 years ago. Chrome tanned leather and high carbon steel do not like each other.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Cool stuff. I like your stitching horse. I dont use too much chrome tanned leather, in fact the only chrome tanned leather I have is some deer skins I had tanned about 15 years ago. Chrome tanned leather and high carbon steel do not like each other.

I hear you on the chrome tanned leather. I make a lot of purses, wallets and bags, so I can go through the chrome tanned leather.

That stitching horse is from an old friend. The clamps are made from barrel staves, the ratchet is from an old saw and the pulley for the strap is an old wooden thread spool. He made it about 40 years ago.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    My new to me Busse NMFBM, Nuclear Meltdown Fusion Battle Mistress, needed some leather pants, :)

This one is dyed with homemade walnut dye, a dab of antique black in the tooling, and dyed black edges.

Top Bottom