• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I just started deer hunting last season and I've quickly come to realize I need a good pair of boots. Last season I used a pair of boots I had for shoveling snow, but they did not cut it in the tree stand or ground blind for extended periods of time. I got to looking at different options this weekend and learned a lot about the insulation grams for boots. I dug my snow shoveling boots out of the closet and found the tag and they were 200 grams and I know my feet were cold in them. I'm leaning towards the slip on rubber boot type as the property I hunt does have a few small streams. I am looking for a boot with around 1000 grams of insulation. I realize keeping my feet warm will greatly improve my joy of hunting, so I don't want to buy something that's not going to work well, I'm willing to spend the money needed for good boots. Any suggestions? Any that I should avoid?

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    WOW...here we go. Ok here is my take on this and I am sure you will get other opinions on the matter.

1). I feel your choice in socks play as much if not more into the formula than the boots. (I use the expedition weight SmartWool socks) Feet sweat PERIOD and the only thing that will keep them warm when wet is wool.

2). I always get my deer boots at least one size larger than my normal boots. I sit in a tree most of the time so agility is a secondary concern. You don't want the boots snug on your feet because that cuts down in the insulation of the boots, the socks, and cuts off blood flow all leading to cold feet.

3). If you are a stalking hunter throw #3 out. but that is of little concern because you will be moving and keeping the blood moving. They will be plenty warm with normal boots and socks.

4). if it is really cold out I also have a pair of insulated boot covers that I keep in my pack. I will hike in, get into the stand, sit for a bit then get comfortable. Throw a foot warmer in each one and strap them on. This allows you to safely use your stand but also add an additional level of insulation.

5). if you are a tree stand hunter or blind hunter check your seating position. A lot of people place their seats to high above their standing platform. This cuts off the circulation on the bottom of your legs thus leading to cold feet also.

6). Even with all this on the right days...they will still get cold! Sorry just a fact of life. In a tree stand 10deg. 20mph wind...they will still get cold!

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We wear Sorel boots when it is cold. They have a lot of different styles available, and I have found good prices on Ebay and on Zappos web site. Zappos has been great to deal with when I have had to return an item due to the sizes not running true in things I have ordered.

Hubby swears by his Sorel Pac Boots I got him for hunting.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Warmest boots I ever owned and still have and are around 22 years old are Lacrosse ice kings. These boots are rated for 150 below o and I feel all warm in my toes on those long days waiting foe something to go by. Your feet will not get cold in these and they last forever. Not sure if they still make these though.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville

Wow, just not sure about 2,400 gram. My fear with them is that they insulate so well that my feet really sweat and then that causes my feet to get cold.

Warmest boots I ever owned and still have and are around 22 years old are Lacrosse ice kings. These boots are rated for 150 below o and I feel all warm in my toes on those long days waiting foe something to go by. Your feet will not get cold in these and they last forever. Not sure if they still make these though.

I vote for the ice kings as well. Had mine for for probably 15 years. Super warm!!! I only use them when it's super cold.

Yes they still make them

LaCrosse Footwear - Ice King 10" Brown 400G

ETA I see you can also replace the removable liners if they wear out. Although mine have held up just fine.

Those look like nice boots, but I don't want lace up boots.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Wow, just not sure about 2,400 gram. My fear with them is that they insulate so well that my feet really sweat and then that causes my feet to get cold.

Those look like nice boots, but I don't want lace up boots.

You want warm feet then tie laces, you want cold feet get slippers, your choose. Me, I like toasty warm piggies.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Bob Jones really spoke a lot of wisdom.

Wool may not be trendy, and I DO recommend a blend that is washable, but wool is warm, and STAYS warm.

And yes, the type of boot you choose has a LOT to do with what type of hunter you are. I am almost always fine with 200g Danner Recons. If it is toward 0-degrees, or if I will be doing a long stand (RARE for me, unless I happen to need to wait out a deer I have already located), then maybe I will wear the 500? gram Chippewa boots.

But I shot a lot of deer in uninsulated boots, and I've shot more than a couple in sneakers.

-Nate

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I love my Muck Boot Woody Max. They are lightweight, comfortable, and warm. They might not be ideal if you plan on doing a lot of walking. I have a couple of places where I have to walk over a mile to get to a stand and my feet don't hurt. I mostly hunt from stands and usually I do just fine sitting for 3-4 hours. If it gets in the single digits I have the boot blankets from Arctic Shield that keeps my feet warm. I used to use the little hand warmer packs in the toe of my boot before getting the blankets. The only downside is the uppers are neoprene and can get caught or cut on briars and such. I always wear my bibs or pants over the boots so I haven't had any issues.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    In my opinion every person is different. DUH. Myself for example have owned several different boots (lace up only for hunting) from 1000g to unisulated. The 1000g were way too much for me. By the time I got into the stand my feet would be sweating and within an hour my toes would feel like icicles. Uninsulated boots are great for walking but sitting for multiple hours my feet would get cold. Currently I have a pair of 400g Danner Pronghorns and think that they are suited well for me. I can walk all day without my feet burning up or I can sit in a tree long enough to get hungry (OK nevermind thats 30 minutes after first light). As far as slip on boots go the comfortability and ankle support is not nearly as good as conventional lace ups. Good luck!

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis

Usually wear my Lowa Rangers, which are uninsulated, until it drops below 45-40 in the mornings. The 2400 gram boots are great when stand hunting when it's really cold.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have found two simple tricks that make a big difference in my ability to keep my feet warm while spending long hours on stand in cold weather. First, I apply unscented antiperspirant to my feet before putting my socks on. The antiperspirant greatly reduces moisture and in conjunction with a good pair of wool socks makes for comfortably warm feet no matter how far I walk in to my stands. Second, I always keep an insulated pad between my boots and the metal of the foot platform of my stands or between my boots and the cold ground when hunting out of a blind. Add in a few disposable hand warmers for the coldest days and I'm good to go.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My Irish Setters are about done. Got maybe 8 yrs out of them. 800gram Thinsulate.

I need more insulation the older I get.

I don't wear my boots or dress up and then ride to my spot. I dress there. Don't run the heater blasting on my feet either when in the truck.
    If I am a little warm, I'll let my feet dry out, then put on fresh dry wool socks. Get dressed and slowly go to my stand.

Hurrying just makes you sweat.

Agree on a pad between feet and ground or stand. That breeze blowing under that steel stand platform, excellent heat sink. Foot rails or large platforms to avoid lessened blood flow to the feet are also pluses.

I'm thinking of the Cabalas Outfitter Series for this yr. Plus a new pair of rubber boots. Those are awesome when slipping through a creek.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I just started deer hunting last season and I've quickly come to realize I need a good pair of boots. Last season I used a pair of boots I had for shoveling snow, but they did not cut it in the tree stand or ground blind for extended periods of time. I got to looking at different options this weekend and learned a lot about the insulation grams for boots. I dug my snow shoveling boots out of the closet and found the tag and they were 200 grams and I know my feet were cold in them. I'm leaning towards the slip on rubber boot type as the property I hunt does have a few small streams. I am looking for a boot with around 1000 grams of insulation. I realize keeping my feet warm will greatly improve my joy of hunting, so I don't want to buy something that's not going to work well, I'm willing to spend the money needed for good boots. Any suggestions? Any that I should avoid?

If you buy the right size boot for your foot and one that has some adjust-ability in the lacing, you can get a lot of versatility by having a few pairs of socks in different weights. I really like Darn tough and Smart wool brands.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I like thinner socks and tighter fit for early season/mobility.
    Late season stand stuff, you can go sloppy to layer socks.
    Now I have to play the sizing game again, since one arch has collapsed.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    I'm not much of a hunter. I know...I know... I should immediately turn in my man card right, at least according to my buddies. I do however spend my frigid winter nights repairing busted water mains while the rest of civilization is asleep in their warm beds. I have discovered that wool socks are crucial (I prefer SmartWool brand). $20 per pair of socks is steep but well worth it, and slipping your feet into a pair of 'em make slithering out of bed at 2am a little less sucky. Anything over 1000 grams is better if you can find it. The most important feature is Gortex. Not waterproof blah, blah, blah. Gortex, and only Gortex for me. Red Wings, Danner have done best for my conditions, with an edge twords RW as they have a store in my area (excellent customer service).

Top Bottom