• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    When I first started hunting I bought 1000 gr insulated irish setter boots and paired that with a liner and smartwool thick socks. My feet were always cold. I was at Bass Pro a few years back and they had hunting pros during the fall classic giving advice. I asked one of the guys what he used for boots and he said he uses Muck Woody Max boots in the cold paired with a medium weight wool sock and a good liner.

He said that most people go too heavy on the sock and the insulation and they don't realize their foot is sweating which leads to cold feet. He said keeping your feet dry from the start is the key and thats why he only used a medium weight wool sock and the Muck which is roomy and allows the air to circulate.

I went with his advice and it has been spot on. I drive to my hunting spot with only my liners on. If I am early and have time I pack my socks and put them on in the tree when I get settled. If I am late and peak movement time is close I put them on at the truck and walk at a normal pace so I don't sweat.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Thanks for all the responses. I wasn't clear when I originally asked but I hunt from a stand. I think I am going to start out by trying some wool socks and getting a pair of boot covers and use the boots I have. It might take a few times to find the right configuration for me, but some solid advice on socks, boot covers, and getting to the stand before putting socks on.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Wet feet suck but wet feet in wool socks....not so bad. As for putting your socks on in the stand....that might break rule #2 about deer hunting..."Scent control"..:puke::poop::laugh:

I wear my wool socks all the time in the woods. The slip on covers go on after in the stand.

The covers are hard enough to put on while strapped into a snug climber.

Trying to take off boots, put socks on damp feet, relace boots, and put on boot covers may result in the need for an air lift out of the woods.waaa2

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    If you can get Alpaca socks...I highly recommend them! I know they sell them on Ebay. I think I pay around $25 a pair for the ones I have, but they are the only thing my cold feet want to wear in the winter. And you all know that women have really cold feet. :)

Ok mom45 I was at the state fair, went to the Alpaca barn and got me some socks! I know they can be had on the web cheaper but I like to think maybe it could help out the 4-H''ers in some way? Anyway.....little hard to give a review on them seeing as how my sandals have been really warm on the feet here of late but can't wait to see how they do once things cool down a bit. Upon initial inspection they seem to be a bit rougher than the Merino Wool but time will tell once I slap them on the tootsies.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Ok mom45 I was at the state fair, went to the Alpaca barn and got me some socks! I know they can be had on the web cheaper but I like to think maybe it could help out the 4-H''ers in some way? Anyway.....little hard to give a review on them seeing as how my sandals have been really warm on the feet here of late but can't wait to see how they do once things cool down a bit. Upon initial inspection they seem to be a bit rougher than the Merino Wool but time will tell once I slap them on the tootsies.

The ones I have are very fluffly and soft on the inside. I do not dry them in the dryer...hang to dry...or they will maybe fit a very small child. LOL!

I'm sure there are different styles but every pair I have purchased have been fluffy inside. I have knee high, mid calf and anklets...love them all and have worn holes in several pairs because when I worked at the Christmas tree farm, that was all I wore and we walked a LOT. Everyone else whined about how cold they were. My feet were toasty even if I just had hiking boots on with those socks.

Top Bottom