• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    When you people talk about Jim Tomes you are talking about the greatest 2A ally we have in the legislature. With some of your attitudes if you were in his seat SB292 wouldn't have made it out of committee. You are also talking about a Viet Nam vet (101 AB) who has been around. Knock off the s***** comments about him.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I just had a 30-minute discussion with Senator Tomes. I won't put any words in his mouth, but he is 100% on our side on the issue of preserving and exercising our rights. He fought very hard for SB 292, and he is very sensitive to the forces at play in the Statehouse on gun rights issues.

With that in mind, he and I agree 100% that any "open carry event" at the zoo would be counter-productive to what we are trying to accomplish.

Guy, thanks for reminding some of our members here that we should not, in our passion, forget our friends and allies.

I agree that IF we must have an event, let's do something that will help the community, like pick up trash or such.

I hope INGO will remember that TFT is best situated to evaluate what is needed "on the ground" in Evansville and will focus their energy on what is most productive.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Guy, thanks for reminding some of our members here that we should not, in our passion, forget our friends and allies.

I agree that IF we must have an event, let's do something that will help the community, like pick up trash or such.

I hope INGO will remember that TFT is best situated to evaluate what is needed "on the ground" in Evansville and will focus their energy on what is most productive.

I agree 100%. :yesway:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I volunteer to help organize an open carry trash pick up. This high pressure heat ridge will keep it warm for a long time and I know SR25 from Lafayette to Delphi needs assistance.

How about it?

kylerudibaugh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Hoosierdood. I see your point, I have until saturday evening to formulate a resonable argument for mr tomes. I have floating ideas in my head that go along the lines. Do not give up the initiative we have nationwide gained ground in 2A eg. Heller, McDonald, and O signed the national parks carry. 49 of 50 states are allowing carry of some form. I believe that we should not snatch failure from victory. We need to double down our efforts by this I say we purchase billboard ads in high traffic areas, have events that are open carry call them parties if you want. This is the time to turn up the action not to temper our response. I fully intend to tell Jim to introduce constitutional carry at the next session. Someone mentioned civil rights somewhere in this thread are not changed overnight. Example Rosa Parks did not go to the back of the bus when told. What happened......They had peaceful marches and boycotts.......something to think about.

kylerudibaugh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    When you people talk about Jim Tomes you are talking about the greatest 2A ally we have in the legislature. With some of your attitudes if you were in his seat SB292 wouldn't have made it out of committee. You are also talking about a Viet Nam vet (101 AB) who has been around. Knock off the s***** comments about him.

Don't see how this is relevant to the thread. Nobody was making any assertation based on his prior military experience.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    How many people even know that it is legal to OC...seems like a lot of people don't even know you can carry at all, permit or not. So if open carry pops into the news like this enough it will do one of two things. It will cause the public to become accustomed to it..eventually. Or, it will turn the public against OCers. And they are right, you make something visible enough to make legislators nervous, and the law might get changed to ban it. That would sure put a damper on the "where did you OC today" thread. Since gun laws have been getting less restricive in general, I wouldn't expect that to happen...but after seeing his letter, who knows.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

He made insulting remarks about open carriers, and people responded, they dont have a right to do so because he is a Veteran?? :dunno:

By your logic we should have all supported John Kerry because he is a Veteran :rolleyes:

Because someone made great strides in some areas of the 2A fight, we should give him a free pass? Besides, personally, i wasnt insulting HIM, I was questioning his remarks.

Get over it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I am in! My only thought is that I'd like to find some trash in Hammond or Evansviile. :):

You will have your date in court soon for one of these. =)

He made insulting remarks about open carriers, and people responded, they dont have a right to do so because he is a Veteran?? :dunno:

By your logic we should have all supported John Kerry because he is a Veteran :rolleyes:

Because someone made great strides in some areas of the 2A fight, we should give him a free pass? Besides, personally, i wasnt insulting HIM, I was questioning his remarks.

Get over it.

^This but yes and OC "clean up the highway" is a much better use of our energy/resources for now.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Folks, calling out Sen. Tomes is uncalled-for. He knows the amount of work he put into these bills and is understandably protective of them. In addition, as others have said, he knows that SEA 292 and many of our other protections of our rights are only tenuously present in law; bills that restrict our rights are far, far easier to pass.
    Consider it in the terms of parents and children. (Stop. I'm well aware that they are our employees, not our parents, and that we are not children. The attitude amongst many people in power seems to be a parental one. I'm not saying it's right, only that it exists. Clear? Good.) When a parent grants a privilege to a child, say, staying up an extra half-hour at night, if the child conforms to that bedtime, the parent is not likely to rescind it. However, if the child does the whole 'give him an inch, he'll take a mile" thing, he'll be back to his earlier bedtime very quickly.

Having re-read the letter he sent, I see that he's talking about the planning of an OC event, not about the mere act of someone OCing. It comes across as "see what I can do, and you can't stop me! Nyah nyah!" and I agree that doing that would be tremendously detrimental to the cause of expanding our ability to exercise our rights freely.

I strongly suggest people review and consider very thoroughly the record that Jim has built over lots of years and at great personal and financial cost to himself. He's no fair-weather friend, but rather a good and true advocate for our issues, and I'm proud to call him a personal friend as well.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Folks, calling out Sen. Tomes is uncalled-for. He knows the amount of work he put into these bills and is understandably protective of them. In addition, as others have said, he knows that SEA 292 and many of our other protections of our rights are only tenuously present in law; bills that restrict our rights are far, far easier to pass.
    Consider it in the terms of parents and children. (Stop. I'm well aware that they are our employees, not our parents, and that we are not children. The attitude amongst many people in power seems to be a parental one. I'm not saying it's right, only that it exists. Clear? Good.) When a parent grants a privilege to a child, say, staying up an extra half-hour at night, if the child conforms to that bedtime, the parent is not likely to rescind it. However, if the child does the whole 'give him an inch, he'll take a mile" thing, he'll be back to his earlier bedtime very quickly.

Having re-read the letter he sent, I see that he's talking about the planning of an OC event, not about the mere act of someone OCing. It comes across as "see what I can do, and you can't stop me! Nyah nyah!" and I agree that doing that would be tremendously detrimental to the cause of expanding our ability to exercise our rights freely.

I strongly suggest people review and consider very thoroughly the record that Jim has built over lots of years and at great personal and financial cost to himself. He's no fair-weather friend, but rather a good and true advocate for our issues, and I'm proud to call him a personal friend as well.

Blessings,
    Bill

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Blessings,
    Bill

I understand what you are saying, but this part is what I am referring to..

Where were they when we needed them to call and come to our meetings? They were too busy, they had parties to go to, movies to see, ball games to attend and dinner dates.

If I sound a little irritated, that's not so. I'm a lot irritated. To go out and see how much public support you can eradicate with some school yard prank does not set well with me and all the other folks who applied themselves.

Alienating OCers, accusing them of not supporting the Bill, and calling what they are planning a "school yard prank" was insulting. Period.

He could have chose his words more carefully, instead, he bashed a portion of his constituency.

I support and appreciate him and what he has done, I just have issue with this small part of how he handled it.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I understand what you are saying, but this part is what I am referring to..

Alienating OCers, accusing them of not supporting the Bill, and calling what they are planning a "school yard prank" was insulting. Period.

He could have chose his words more carefully, instead, he bashed a portion of his constituency.

I support and appreciate him and what he has done, I just have issue with this small part of how he handled it.

Roadie, I've been involved in organizations where people have told me, "What you're doing is great" but wouldn't help with fund raisers, serving on boards, etc. I think Sen Tomes is lamenting the fact that a lot of people could have written letters to the papers, attended hearings in Indy (if possible), showed up for meet-your-legislator sessions around the state, etc. while his and other gun bills were being considered. I'm ashamed to say I didn't help anybody in the last election cycle except for voting for them. My brother, on the other hand, knocked on doors all over the west side of Evansville for several weekends before the election and handed out flyers for Jim. I supported him but my brother REALLY supported him. :)

kylerudibaugh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    This "Patriot meeting" in Evansville that's about to happen. Can someone provide linkage about that? Time/Place etc? Is it open to anyone?

It is going to be at the West Side Sportsman's Club go to (wssc.us) for more info. I do not know if this is going to be an open meeting or not. I am a member ther so I would not be affected

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    This "Patriot meeting" in Evansville that's about to happen. Can someone provide linkage about that? Time/Place etc? Is it open to anyone?
    The meetings are held at the Westside Sportsman's club. They start about 6-6:30 with a pot luck supper at about 7:00. The club is on Peerless road with the drive just north of the RR tracks. If you're coming in or out on the Lloyd turn north at the light at Schutte Rd. (Just east of the USI overpass). I think Schutte becomes Peerless at Hogue Rd. Anyway, continue north until you come to the tracks and just turn in West. If you get there much past 6:30 you'll probably have to stand because this meeting will have US rep Buschon, Lloyd Winneke and hopefully Mr. TF himself!! And yes, there are always a few OC people there.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    One thing we all need to keep in mind is that it's pretty easy for any of us to get on the forum here and vent our frustrations and make points but in reality it's only seen by a few and really has no impact other than perhaps a point to fellow forum members. Sen Tomes on the other head is playing in a different game altogether. He is in a position where his actions/words can have a real impact on our future 2A rights. I think we need to stand behind and trust him. His can work more magic within the system than we can. For now I will put my faith and trust in him to do the right thing. He has done a pretty good job so far!!

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    One thing we all need to keep in mind is that it's pretty easy for any of us to get on the forum here and vent our frustrations and make points but in reality it's only seen by a few and really has no impact other than perhaps a point to fellow forum members. Sen Tomes on the other head is playing in a different game altogether. He is in a position where his actions/words can have a real impact on our future 2A rights. I think we need to stand behind and trust him. His can work more magic within the system than we can. For now I will put my faith and trust in him to do the right thing. He has done a pretty good job so far!!
    :+1: Exactly.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    How many people even know that it is legal to OC...seems like a lot of people don't even know you can carry at all, permit or not. So if open carry pops into the news like this enough it will do one of two things. It will cause the public to become accustomed to it..eventually. Or, it will turn the public against OCers. And they are right, you make something visible enough to make legislators nervous, and the law might get changed to ban it. That would sure put a damper on the "where did you OC today" thread. Since gun laws have been getting less restricive in general, I wouldn't expect that to happen...but after seeing his letter, who knows.

Not coming down on cjamie, but the logic of this, along with the quote from the other legislator in Sen. Tomes letter is ridiculous. People claim that we shouldn't OC, because it will make people nervous and then it will get banned. As BOR said, "If we don't OC, or CAN'T OC, what is the difference?" Is someone going to come out one day and declare OC socially acceptable, and we may resume it? We need to go about our business, and put pressure on the legislators to stop any kind of anti-OC bill that comes up. Keeping the gun concealed so that they don't ban open carry makes absolutely NO sense.

Top Bottom