• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    so im setting up an ar to shoot a lil bit farther the rifle is a les baer and had a low quality scope on it. so what did I do, I went and bought a leupold 3 x 9, thinking I was getting a better scope. I mounted the scope and started to bore sight it and noticed the cross hairs don't move in clicks??? it has a arrow with numbers to index how much u have moved the cross hairs, but no clicks. nothing is wrong with the scope, that's how some of them are made now, im temped to put a different scope on it now, I expected more from a leupold. I have other leupolds which I like, but im not sure if I can get used to adjusting a scope without hearing the clicks.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Stoney Point makes a turret adapter for Leupolds. However, depending on the range you normally shoot, a "zero" at the proper distance will keep you from having to fiddle with the elevation adjustment.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    You most likely have a Vari X 2. These are the modestly priced entry scopes that Leupold makes. No clicks is normal and doesn't hurt anything. I should have said a high quality entry level scope. Talk to the guy on this site that sells scopes. (42769vette?) very knowledgeable and helpful/

Last edited:

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    What Leupold scope did you buy? Leupold VX-1, VX-2, VX-3, VX-R, VX-6, and Mark AR's all have click adjustments. As Leupold has been making scopes in this country for over 100 years, you may have one of the many older models. I do not sell scopes like others on this site, so I will not tell you to buy another brand. You just need to get a newer/different Leupold and you will be quite happy! The USA made Leupolds are of the best quality and will give you a lifetime of excellent service.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Being a les baer rifle, I'd assume you were running glass at least on par with the rifle? A rifle is only as precise as its sights.

You need to call up leupold, they'll take care of you.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    What Leupold scope did you buy? Leupold VX-1, VX-2, VX-3, VX-R, VX-6, and Mark AR's all have click adjustments. As Leupold has been making scopes in this country for over 100 years, you may have one of the many older models. I do not sell scopes like others on this site, so I will not tell you to buy another brand. You just need to get a newer/different Leupold and you will be quite happy! The USA made Leupolds are of the best quality and will give you a lifetime of excellent service.
    its a vx 1 no clicks,

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    this scope is new, almost brand new. I really like all my leupolds,but they must be cutting some corners, having said that, I could have bought a bushnell for about half what I paid. and elevation adjustments would be ezer to make.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I do not sell scopes like others on this site, so I will not tell you to buy another brand.

There is a ton wrong with your post, but I'm tired from a shoot all day so I will focus on this part. How many industry insiders, and optics companies do you talk to on a weekly basis to keep up on what has been released, what products are in the works, whats working well, and whats turning into a flop? The reason I tell folks to buy other brands than Leopold is because I follow the optics industry. Fact of the matter is I can order leupolds, and sell them a whole lot easier, and make more money on the Leupolds than what I do with the brands I do carry. I don't because un like leupold I care about my customers. I dont blindly follow them because thats what was the best in the 80's, I follow companies by what they produce today, and how they treat their customers today, not 20 years ago. Just some highlights of what wrong with your post are

Leupold has not been making scopes in the USA for 100 years. They made them in the US for a long time, but since the mid 90's have ASSEMBLED their scopes in the US.

A lot of people are happy with their leupold products. That's because they have not followed the advancements that have been made in optical technology that have been made in the last 15 years. They are very happy because they haven't opened their eyes to other options.

Take all that into account, and top it off with some of the worst customer service in the industry, and as of today Leupold is a no go. I will give them credit, and as of last year at shot show they realized they were really behind on their technology, and are trying to catch up. In the 80's Leupold was cutting edge, today they are playing catch up, but they did make major strides to catch up this past year, so there might be hope for them, but with the customer service I have personally recieved before I was in the industry, they have burnt a bridge with me, and a lot of the shooting community, that really follows whats going on.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN

I would LOVE to see the place in the united states where the leupolds are manufactured (not assembled). Good luck finding it. I have owned several leupolds in the last decade, some used some new, and after dealing w/ a couple other brands I will NEVER go back to leupold. I have had more issues on higher dollar leupolds than I have with low dollar optics of some of the other brands out there. Vortex, bushnell, and sightron all offer MUCH better options for the same or less money. a luepolds price is about 40 percent brand.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    so what is the reason they started maken some of there scopes not click when the cross hairs are moved??? is it to cut cost??? is a leupold just an over priced tasco?? unless your spend a lot of money and get a high end leupold??

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am unsure of the NON clicking reasoning. A lot of the older scopes were that way. I have a weaver scope from the 70's that's like that and its a bit of a pain to use. No a leupold is not an overpriced tasco, they are above that for sure, but for the money you spend you can get a scope that is equally durable, tracks just as well, has BETTER glass clarity, and a BETTER warranty. You can actually get all that spending LESS money. Leupolds IMHO are for those who want to say they got this and have whoever they are talking to IMMEDIATLY recognize the brand.

My newbalance shoes will do the same thing nike's will do for half the price, are just as comforitable and last just as long. Only difference.... I am not wearing nike's.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    so what is the reason they started maken some of there scopes not click when the cross hairs are moved??? is it to cut cost??? is a leupold just an over priced tasco?? unless your spend a lot of money and get a high end leupold??

Non clicking scope are a little cheaper to manufacturer, but its not something done as a cost cutting method. A lot of folks usto prefer it because without a click its impossible to need a zero between clicks. I believe it was called concentric adjustment back in the day, but Im not 100% certain of that terminology. I didnt think anyone used this style of adjustment anymore becuase its so un popular. The only time it makes sense is in the benchrest game, and even then they have scope that adjust 1/8th of a moa and thats more than enough.

Leupold is a step above tasco, and in all honesty they dont make a bad scope. The problem lies in how they treat their customer after the purchase, and there price/markup. I usto keep a 1350 dollar leupold MK4 on the gun show table. I would do a dirrect comparision to a Vortex PST 4-16 SFP. The Vortex would win in every way, every time. Then the customer would say "Ya but how much more than the Leupold is the Vortex. You would not believe the look on faces when they saw the Vortex had a 699 dollar price tag, and the leupold was 1350. A lot of folks think Leupold really supports the Military comunity because they offer 40% off for active duty military, and im not saying thats a bad thing, but their markup is so high that 40% off just gets them to the price they should (in terms of quality) every day.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    thanks a lot for the info, im going to have to take rifle to the range and see how it dos, ive heard nothing buy good things about vortex scopes, if I cant get used to adjustments on the luepold ill look into a vortex

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    thanks a lot for the info, im going to have to take rifle to the range and see how it dos, ive heard nothing buy good things about vortex scopes, if I cant get used to adjustments on the luepold ill look into a vortex

I sell (most) everything, I promote Vortex. If you get to the point of upgrading let me know, and we will figure out what fits your needs, and budget.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    I had quit looking at Leupold for many years, until the Mark 6 & Mark 8 came out .They are top tier optics ! I have a MK6 1-6 on a colt 6940 and love it. Before the MK6 & MK8 scopes, Leupold was behind the curve with current manufactors as already stated.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've used VX2's for 30 years. I don't mess with multiple loads or adjust in the field (am just a varmint/deer hunter).
    Set it and forget it, friction adjust is fine. Can be a little funky in getting it set initially, as some old Leupolds wouldn't adjust right without a bit of turret tapping.
    IMHO Leupold's streamlined/balanced look compliments many a fine rifle.
    But most folks today like that ugly tacticool stuff ;)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've used VX2's for 30 years. I don't mess with multiple loads or adjust in the field (am just a varmint/deer hunter).
    Set it and forget it, friction adjust is fine. Can be a little funky in getting it set initially, as some old Leupolds wouldn't adjust right without a bit of turret tapping.
    IMHO Leupold's streamlined/balanced look compliments many a fine rifle.
    But most folks today like that ugly tacticool stuff ;)

Ill give you that, leupolds stainless finish's, and gloss finish's are beautiful. There scopes looks are 2nd to none. Personally It would be impossible for me to care less about how a gun, scope, etc look. Im 100% pure function type shooter.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    this scope is new, almost brand new. I really like all my leupolds,but they must be cutting some corners, having said that, I could have bought a bushnell for about half what I paid. and elevation adjustments would be ezer to make.

Are you sure you do not have an older model VX-I and not one of the newer VX-1s? I own 3 VX-1 3x9x40 Leupolds, and they all have click adjustments. One was just purchased last week.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    I would LOVE to see the place in the united states where the leupolds are manufactured (not assembled). Good luck finding it. I have owned several leupolds in the last decade, some used some new, and after dealing w/ a couple other brands I will NEVER go back to leupold. I have had more issues on higher dollar leupolds than I have with low dollar optics of some of the other brands out there. Vortex, bushnell, and sightron all offer MUCH better options for the same or less money. a luepolds price is about 40 percent brand.

Leupolds are manufactured and assemled at 14400 NW Greenbriar Pkwy, Beaverton OR 97006, USA. :)

Top Bottom