• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    @ palerider. Im sorry with the course this thread took, and Im sorry you are not pleased with your purchase. If I can be of any assistance don't hesitate to let me know via PM here, email (alan@aaoptics.com), or phone 765-580-0986.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    ive learned alot from this thread believe it or not, and jerry45acp i thank you for your service, and 69 vette someday when i buy another optic ill look you up, i still havent got the rifle to the range yet, scope is very clear, id say ill like it, i just couldnt beleave that theres no clicks and wondered if its something new there doing on there lower end scopes, only about half the people believe me, maybe ill try to post a pic.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    jerry buddy, no clicks at all, not trying to argue, just trying to inform you, ive always liked leupolds till this one, the box is gold if that helps date it at all, i couldnt find any dates on any of the paper work, its very new though. i have pic of box and turret i could send you,

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    jerry buddy, no clicks at all, not trying to argue, just trying to inform you, ive always liked leupolds till this one, the box is gold if that helps date it at all, i couldnt find any dates on any of the paper work, its very new though. i have pic of box and turret i could send you,

What's the last letter in the serial number that will give you the year.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thanks to 42769Vette, I've been turned on to Vortex. I'm getting a FNAR in a trade for my Winchester Model 70 boltie (he may or may not remember my post asking for help and not knowing who he was), and I plan on putting a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44mm PA on it, the same one Vette pointed out to me for my Mod 70. I've read a lot of reviews about the Crossfire and Diamondbacks, the Diamondback series seems to come out on top, I didn't go with those because I want a mil-dot reticule. A lot of people seem to really like their strikefire on their AR. Vortex glass is known for being "that good", my current scope is amazing and... I think I'm spoiled with it.

My :twocents:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Copy /snip

1. Where are the binoculars made? Where is the serial number for my model bino?
    Country of origin and serial number location is generally located near the hinge on the reverse side of the product. There are a few models w/ serial #’s located on the tripod mount cap.

IIRC the GOLD RING binos were US made, the Wind River Spanish imports and the newer stuff, I dunno. To post a snippet without more detail IMHO is a bit misleading. If it's wrong for Leupold to do it, then it's wrong for others as well.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Copy /snip

Country of origin and serial number location is generally located near the hinge on the reverse side of the product. There are a few models w/ serial #’s located on the tripod mount cap.

IIRC the GOLD RING binos were US made, the Wind River Spanish imports and the newer stuff, I dunno. To post a snippet without more detail IMHO is a bit misleading. If it's wrong for Leupold to do it, then it's wrong for others as well.

Its not that I didn't copy and paste all the info, That last part was not on the page I copy and pasted from. I should have put where I copy and pasted from.
    Frequently Asked Questions | Leupold

Keep in mind my problem with the company is not where they are made even though thats where this thread has turned. My problem with the company is the price they demand for the quality they produce, and how they treat there customers when there is a issue with their product. Anything man made can fail, its how you treat the customer if that happens that separates companies.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My latest scope is a Leupold MK AR MOD 1, which is a 1.5-4x one inch scope. It definitely isn't one of Leupold's costlier products. It has click adjustments. They are very fine adjustments and the click isn't easy to hear.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've had 2 new Leupolds with issues. One was replaced within 4 weeks, the other repaired in lesser time.
    No charge either one.
    I find that acceptable customer service.

Having a scope bad on a hunt and making a frantic call.............anybody can claim that. Standard business practice I think would be to require "sending it in". It keeps liars from getting new scopes (or loaners) and then Leupold having to fight to get stuff back.

Real simple: take a backup rifle or a backup scope (previously zeroed) in rings.

Glass in aluminum tubes..............even the best can get dropped, land on a rock and be toast. Plan accordingly.

Last edited:

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I have 15 Leupold scopes in my safe mounted on various rifles. I have owned Leupold for over 50 years. I've hunted high and low in the US. I've abused my scopes at times during the hunt. Never had one fail in the field. I have returned two Leupolds over the years to the factory. One for a parallex change and another one I purchased used that was not clear. My customer service was stellar. I shoot probably 10,000 rounds a year through my various guns - they are for the most part not safe queens. I have shot some competition and my scopes were Leupold. They zeroed fine and held zero. My 1000 yard gun has a Leupold MK 4 and holds zero and tracks perfectly. I have a few other scopes in use and they serve their intended purpose quite well also. I also own Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, Tasco, Bushnell, and Burris optics. I would own a Nightforce but they are also a bit spendy.

I am not affiliated with Leupold or any other manufacture. Just my experience. My Zeiss and Swarovski"s are brighter than my older Leupolds but their price is substantially higher also. I have a range at home and have hosted a plethora of shooters with all manner of scopes over the years. Leupold has always been a trusted name on the range.
    Leupold is manufactured in the US with the exception the the rifleman series of scopes according to their customer service department. By the way, I drive a Chevy truck and Toyota car. I'll bet someone will chime in that they are both junk also. Good shooting

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I had a bushnell elite 1500 rangefinder that could easily range my non reflective steel target out to at least 750 yards... BUT I thought I needed something nicer so I spent the extra money on what I thought would be a great product. Not only would it not range the broadside of a barn at the same distance, but here are some pictures I took of it where it clearly says made in china. Needless to say I am less than a fan of leupolds.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    I never stated or implied the entire scope was made over seas. I'm saying over 50% of the parts are imported (why they cant be labeled made in the USA) and they are ASSEMBLED in the USA. The ones that do say "Made in the usa" have 51% of the parts being made here. To me 51% is not american made. The Hamiltons (ones who started Vortex) lived in Indianapolis until 1981. They moved to Wisconsin to expand their optics dealership. At that point and time they were a big fish in the bird watching community, and did a lot of the development for a lot of companies. They were not satisfied with the lack of quality most companies wanted to ship to America, so they started their own company. Its not like they because involved with optics in 2004, they have been a Huge fish in the industry since the mid 80's. They are very honest about how their product gets to the market, and where the parts come from. They don't make marketing ploys like "american optics authority" when they are not completely a american company. They are a company that the profits go to their american workers.

This is copied and pasted from the Leupold FAQ

By internet, gunshow, gunshop wisdom all products are made in the USA. If that was the case why wouldnt they answer the question "where are my binos made" with a big proud USA? Its because they have spent many years, and many hours keeping the consumer in the dark about the actual origin.

Im done with this thread. You think your right, and thats fine. some people cant believe facts when they see them. Good day to you sir.

Facts?! What facts?! I've seen nothing presented on your part to prove a Chinese/Philippines Vortex is a better quality scope than currently made USA Leupold's. All you have posted are biased, personal opinions and unsubstantiated stories from long, long ago. Leupold scopes may indeed have some parts sourced from other countries, but a Vortex is 100% foreign made.

I think most of your posts should be restricted to the Classified WTS area, as this is "Indiana Gun Owners", not "Vortex-R-Us".

Last edited:

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    I had a bushnell elite 1500 rangefinder that could easily range my non reflective steel target out to at least 750 yards... BUT I thought I needed something nicer so I spent the extra money on what I thought would be a great product. Not only would it not range the broadside of a barn at the same distance, but here are some pictures I took of it where it clearly says made in china. Needless to say I am less than a fan of leupolds.

I believe the conversation was about Leupold Scopes.

But, thank you for your contribution anyway.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Facts?! What facts?! I've seen nothing presented on your part to prove a Chinese/Philippines Vortex is a better quality scope than currently made USA Leupold's. All you have posted are biased, personal opinions and unsubstantiated stories from long, long ago. Leupold scopes may indeed have some parts sourced from other countries, but a Vortex is 100% foriegn made.

I think most of your posts should be restricted to the Classified WTS area, as this is "Indiana Gun Owners", not "Vortex-R-Us".

You should probably pull back on the argument a little. Allen is a well respected member and vendor on here. He gave an honest assessment of things and didn't ask for you to go on a diatribe of why you think Leupolds are better. I own two leups myself. Anyway, you can do what you want, just know you are picking a fight with a guy that has probably forgotten more about optics than you ever knew.:)

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    You should probably pull back on the argument a little. Allen is a well respected member and vendor on here. He gave an honest assessment of things and didn't ask for you to go on a diatribe of why you think Leupolds are better. I own two leups myself. Anyway, you can do what you want, just know you are picking a fight with a guy that has probably forgotten more about optics than you ever knew.:)

I think you have it backwards, Allen was on a "diatribe" of why he thinks Vortex is better! I do not think he gave an honest assessment of anything at all.
    Allen may well be a respected member and vendor but that does not make his opinions right and my opinions wrong.
    And lastly, you do not know me, so how can you judge what I know or don't know?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    OK, I keep saying I'm done with this thread, but I'm not real good staying out of it, and I had no desire to make this Vortex vs leupold, I wanted to make this Leupold vs everyone not trying to screw the consumer (Sightron, Weaver, Vortex, SWFA, and a host of others). So lets do a direct comparison as I have don't hundreds of times on gun show tables. I usto carry a leupold MK4 4.5-14x50 with me to gun shows and do this comparison, but I quite because I get so tired of arguing with folks when in real life I am trying to help them see MODERN light. The Mk4 series is the absolute best technology available in the 90's but technology has come a long way. Keep in mind the Leupold's street price is 1350ish, and the Vortex (because I know there brand better, but not because they are the only one that wears leupold out it quality for the dollar) 4-16x50 PST SFP who has a street price of 699.

Zoom range

The leupold is built on a 3x erector, the Vortex is built on a 4x erector. So the Vortex has the Leupold beat on both the top, and the bottom of the scale Winner Vortex

Warranty
    The Leupold claims to have a life time warranty to original owner for manufacturers defects. The Vortex carry's a unlimited life time warranty to the 1st owner to the 50th owner. It also covers user error. I had a customer leave their bino's on the car and drive off. Vortex sent him a brand new pair no questions ask. HUGE WINNER VORTEX.

Adjustments

This can be broke down into 2 segments. 1 being feel of turret, and the other being the right adjustments. The Vortex is way more positive and audible than the mushy leupold turrets. This is not opinion it is absolute fact. Winner Vortex.

The other section is adjustments. The Vortex comes in MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL. The Leupold comes with MOA turrets, and MIL reticle. That's the stupidest thing of all time. Any real long range shooter will tell you it doesn't matter what unit of measurement you choice (MIL or MOA) but pick one. When you have a reticle in MIL, and a Turret in MOA now you have to do math in your head on the fly to utilize the information your reticle has provided. Winner Vortex.

Glass quality

The glass quality is equal. For all their faults Leupold's glass quality is not one of them. tie.

Parallax adjustment

The Vortex give you actual numbers so you can get close in a hurry, and find tune from there. The Leupold doesn't give you a way to determind what is 300 yds, and what is 800 yds without getting behind the scope. Winner Vortex.

Zero stops

When your actually shooting long range Zero stops are worth their weight in gold. Vortex has them, Leupold doesn't Winner Vortex

Detented zoom ring.

On a SFP scope if your not on max power the units of measurement in your reticle are not accurate without doing a little math. Leupold figures since the reticle and turrets don't match there is no point in making that possible. Vortex detents the zoom ring, and give you the multiplication table on the back side of your turrets so its easier for folks who don't do this for a living a way to do the math. Winner Vortex.

Illumination

The leupold doesnt have it, the Vortex does winner Vortex.

Construction

This is a area where leupold does a good job. Seeing either break under abuse is rare, so I would call it a wash, but since Leupold is so far behind here we will give them a little handy cap and call them the winner. WINNER LEUPOLD

Keep in mind folks this is the exact scope they send to the sand box. Our government doesn't necessarily pick the absolute best for our soldiers. They pick the product that meets their standards, and costs the joe blow tax payer the least, and requires the least training.

So to summarize, the leupold is just south of 2x the cost, and only won in 1 category. The Vortex is 1/2 the price and won in 8 categories, and we had one tie. Sure sounds like 650 extra dollars well spent to me. The problem with Leupold is not the country or origin. I have a problem with there advertising methods making everyone think everything is made in the USA, but that's not a deal breaker, and Leupold doesn't make a bad product, they are just entirely to proud of their product. Will a 4.5-14 MK4 work for long range shooting? It absolutely will, but if you use value as a way of determining price that scope should run about 600 bucks not 1350 because the PST series, Weaver tactical, Sightron SIII series all do a better job at a whole lot less expense.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    Leupold Golden Ring Full Lifetime Guarantee is a repair or replace for Free even if you are not the original owner, no warranty card needed, no time limit.

Your categories do not mean much me as a hunter.

I certainly do not want a multiplication table on my scope.
    I have never had the need to adjust and fiddle with parallax once the scope was set up.
    MOA adjustments work great for me.
    I do not need a zero stop.
    I have a illuminated Leupold.
    I have looked at and compared many, many different brands and types of scopes.
    The quality of build and optical clarity are more important than "high tec" gizmos and dials.
    USA manufacture is very important to me.

So for me the winner is: Leupold!!:rockwoot:

Thank you.

Last edited:

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county

I believe the conversation was about Leupold Scopes.

But, thank you for your contribution anyway.
    ah dude leupold is leupold it does not matter what product they made, it has there name on it. but i see no reason in debating with you on this cause you got your mind set, and it wouldn't matter if the lord himself told you that you were wrong.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I could do the same comparison with other leupolds and Vortex's that have more hunting features, but it would do no good as you would't admit it by now if you knew for a fact you were wrong. So I guess Ill leave you with Welcome to INGO, and congrats on your 50th post (some point in this thread) Enjoy the classifieds, and since its been about a month since we last had this debate ill see talk to you octoberish.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    I could do the same comparison with other leupolds and Vortex's that have more hunting features, but it would do no good as you would't admit it by now if you knew for a fact you were wrong. So I guess Ill leave you with Welcome to INGO, and congrats on your 50th post (some point in this thread) Enjoy the classifieds, and since its been about a month since we last had this debate ill see talk to you octoberish.

Remember, I said I didn't care about high tec features? I know this for a fact: I like Leupolds better than your favorite brand.
    I don't care too much about the classifieds, but thanks anyway.

Wish you well.

Top Bottom