• ...and so much more!
  • cue7467

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Westfield Indiana
    Fort Liberty Firearms In Avon

I stopped in at a new store in the Avon area today. It is on Rockville Road just east of Dan Jones. It was Fort Libert Firearms. They had a small selection of long guns and a decent selection of pistols. Prices were average on guns and ammo. The service just plain sucked. I was in there for nearly 15-20 minutes and neither of the 2 guys working cared to ask me if I need help. Yes I am a young guy and even look younger then I am, but seriously can I get some help? I was actually looking at buying some ammo 1000-2000 rounds.

Has anyone else been to this place? I don't think this is a good way to start a business. The other kicker was a guy brought in a gun (looked like a Beretta) to get looked at and the guy behind the counter obviously had no clue how to take down the gun. He even locked the slide back and tried to unscew the guide rod:dunno:. If you don't know how a to take down a gun just freaking tell the customer. It made him look very unreliable and unprofessional to me. Then the guy took the gun in the back room and I think he got on the computer to look up how to take it apart....LOL

Last edited:

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I bought an XD 45 from them at the last 1500 for $500 brand new. Cheaper than I had found elsewhere. Have not been in the store. I was thinking of checking it out, but may have second thoughts now.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've been there twice. The first time they seemed ok. Nice little shop with a fair selection of different things. Prices varied widely from good to OMG where did they come up with that price! They even offered me popcorn! Shop is very nice with a western atmosphere and very clean.

The second time was a different story. I was just browsing and saw a few things I was interested in. I couldn't really buy anything so I didn't want to waste their time by asking to see a lot of stuff. There were 2 things I was pretty interested in though and I do have some nice things to trade so I asked to look at them. When the guy got the gun out and handed it to me I checked the chamber first to make sure it was unloaded, you never know, and out of the corner of my eye I saw the guy roll his eyes and snicker at the guy he was talking to. I'm a lil paranoid so I didn't think much of it. I asked to see the other piece and when I looked at it the guy did the same thing and this time it was more exaggerated. I'm not new to guns by any means and have owned and shot a wide variety of weapons. I've seen loaded guns in stores before and safety should never be taken for granted. Every gun is loaded to me until I make sure it's unloaded. I just got the impression that they are the type of shop where they know everything and that I know nothing. The final straw was when the guy started telling me a bunch of stuff about a military rifle that I know was wrong. I hate to bash a shop and realize that everybody has a bad day, but I doubt I'll return to that shop.

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    no one should roll their eyes at some one being cautious and prudent. i wouldn't go back either, if i were you. and if i am ever down that way, i will intentionally avoid this place, lol.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    When the guy got the gun out and handed it to me I checked the chamber first to make sure it was unloaded, you never know, and out of the corner of my eye I saw the guy roll his eyes and snicker at the guy he was talking to. I'm a lil paranoid so I didn't think much of it. I asked to see the other piece and when I looked at it the guy did the same thing and this time it was more exaggerated.

Unbelievable! My hubby and I just went to a gunshop near Mooresville the other day. I was looking at revolvers. Every time the guy pulled one out of the glass case, he opened the chamber and checked it before handing it to me. If he didn't (he got sidetracked and forgot to check one), I did it myself. It was... well... expected. Unbelievable.

You should have called the guy out. Sometimes the stupid ones need to be told when they're being stupid. How does he know some moron didn't slip a round in just for sh!ts and giggles while he wasn't looking?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Unbelievable! My hubby and I just went to a gunshop near Mooresville the other day. I was looking at revolvers. Every time the guy pulled one out of the glass case, he opened the chamber and checked it before handing it to me. If he didn't (he got sidetracked and forgot to check one), I did it myself. It was... well... expected. Unbelievable.

You should have called the guy out. Sometimes the stupid ones need to be told when they're being stupid. How does he know some moron didn't slip a round in just for sh!ts and giggles while he wasn't looking?

I thought about it, but that has not worked out so well in the past. I just have learned over time to agree with whatever the shop owner says and stick to my own safety practices and knowledge base. I don't want to slam the shop per se, just relate my experiences there. I don't know everything but I do know a fair amount after 30 years of handling weapons from .22s to the M61 Vulcan that the A7Es carried that I worked on for Uncle Sam. :patriot:

cue7467

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Westfield Indiana
    It just plain blows my mind the way I was treated. Hell, I have been treated better at Don's Guns. My mom owns a gun shop, but I often stop at other shops to see what they may have in that is used. (I am actually looking for a Bren Ten 10mm) Sometimes I buy some ammo or something to support the small shops such as my moms. I can deal with a little higher price at them to but I just can't deal with rudeness or know it all's.......

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    It just plain blows my mind the way I was treated. Hell, I have been treated better at Don's Guns. My mom owns a gun shop, but I often stop at other shops to see what they may have in that is used. (I am actually looking for a Bren Ten 10mm) Sometimes I buy some ammo or something to support the small shops such as my moms. I can deal with a little higher price at them to but I just can't deal with rudeness or know it all's.......

I worked my way through college at a friends gun shop. I heard EVERYTHING imaginable there as it was an inner city shop!! I still treated everybody with respect, well except the guy who wanted to know if he could still buy a gun if he was convicted of rape? "I didn't really rape her, I just tried to rape her". I shuffled him outta there so fast b/c the owner was reaching for the shop shotgun!!!
    As I was saying I wanted to ask some people how they could be so stupid, but on the other hand there were some customers that came in with a vast amount of knowledge. I learned a great deal from some of those customers and remember some of them to this day.
    I did buy a box of ammo from them on the way out, even though I was tempted not to.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I went in there recently and was disappointed as well. no customer service, shopkeeps were too busy looking at magazines and talking to eachother to even give me a simple hello when I walked in. I was the only shopper in the store at the time.

Their selection was pretty disappointing as well. just like 5 of each of the few handguns they carried, a few long guns and even fewer shot guns.

I will take my money elsewhere (cough plainfield shooting supplies cough)

gfry12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have been in there twice both time I was treated very well, didn't buy anything but still treated well. I guess every store has it's good and bad days.

BulletSponge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indy.
    I have gone to the shop three times and bought something each time. I have found them to be helpful and very down to earth people. I always try to keep in mind that all gun loving are people are friends of mine although they my not know it or be up to speed on everything. I have worked at three gun shops in Indy and greenwood plus I also had a firearms business (FCS Firearms Consulting & Sales) for nine years and did every gun show in the state. Believe me that I have seen all kinds of (so called gun nuts) do some super stupid things with guns. The older man at the shop is not a hard core gun guy and I have spoke with him and found hem to be a nice person and helpful. I think he is helping the owner out more than making a living buy working in the shop. I bought six Glock 19 13-Rd. mags and every other Glock related thing they had, all the 12-GA. OO/buckshot they had, a bag of rubber AR mag covers, 2009 FNH USA gun mat and some other things. All the time the owner was willing to help and the older men ask me over and over if he could help me. They let me get my hands on anything they had in the shop and if you go to gun a lot of shops this is something that some of them are not happy about letting you do. I like Fort Liberty Firearms and I will be back about every three months. They also told me that they will be a full line Blackhawk dealer soon and if you know how hard it is to find Blackhawk stuff around Indy then this should be a big help to us all. Just my 2 cents.

kimbld89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I will say I am not happy with their service either. The only way I could get a conversation out of any of them is to start talking cash money. It is ridiculous and their selection is weak. Plainfield Shooting Supplies is the place to be.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    Fort Liberty has several partners and some are better to deal with than others. I have been treated very well most of the time. They gave me a deal on a used unfired Glock 26, $429, two weeks ago.

Today I went in and they had one .22LR conversion kit for an AR. It was priced at $219. When I mentioned Brownells had the same kit at $199, they lowered the price and even let me put it in lay-away.

They had a Rock River AR and several AKs. In addition they had about four .380 Bursas starting at $229. They also have several glocks including the 26, 30, and 19 as well as others I can't remember.

They are small but they are trying to stock the more popular firearms. I will continue to shop at PSS and Bradis, but I will also check out Ft Liberty and give them business when they have what I need. T

Brandan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    West Side
    I've been there twice. The first time they seemed ok. Nice little shop with a fair selection of different things. Prices varied widely from good to OMG where did they come up with that price! They even offered me popcorn! Shop is very nice with a western atmosphere and very clean.

The second time was a different story. I was just browsing and saw a few things I was interested in. I couldn't really buy anything so I didn't want to waste their time by asking to see a lot of stuff. There were 2 things I was pretty interested in though and I do have some nice things to trade so I asked to look at them. When the guy got the gun out and handed it to me I checked the chamber first to make sure it was unloaded, you never know, and out of the corner of my eye I saw the guy roll his eyes and snicker at the guy he was talking to. I'm a lil paranoid so I didn't think much of it. I asked to see the other piece and when I looked at it the guy did the same thing and this time it was more exaggerated. I'm not new to guns by any means and have owned and shot a wide variety of weapons. I've seen loaded guns in stores before and safety should never be taken for granted. Every gun is loaded to me until I make sure it's unloaded. I just got the impression that they are the type of shop where they know everything and that I know nothing. The final straw was when the guy started telling me a bunch of stuff about a military rifle that I know was wrong. I hate to bash a shop and realize that everybody has a bad day, but I doubt I'll return to that shop.

I bought my 870 there months ago. I went in there a few weeks ago on a lunch break with a few friends from work. The gentleman behind the counter did not care to check the chamber on anything he handed to any of us. My rule number one is "Never point at something you do not plan to hurt", my number to is "Never assume". This goes for ANYTHING with firearms. He assumed that the chamber was empty and he assumed that no one would mind being pointed at with a .380 Kel-Tec. The gentleman broke both of my rules in a matter of 15mins that we were in the store. Very rude if you ask me. Unfortunately I hate to say that I do not plan to spend any more money with them.

fire1035

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    I am new to the AR scene and went in because the one I bought is a flat top. I needed a carry handle. I explained that I knew nothing about my rifle and asked if they had anything in stock. I was handed a catalog and told "go to their (the catalog company's) website you'll find what you need there." I again explained that I had no idea what I was looking for. I will not go in again. I would rather drive farther to a different shop and pay a little more than to not receive any service.

crosby841

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    I am new to the AR scene and went in because the one I bought is a flat top. I needed a carry handle. I explained that I knew nothing about my rifle and asked if they had anything in stock. I was handed a catalog and told "go to their (the catalog company's) website you'll find what you need there." I again explained that I had no idea what I was looking for. I will not go in again. I would rather drive farther to a different shop and pay a little more than to not receive any service.

So they didn't have what you needed but still tried to lead you in the right direction? You people are silly:horse:

fire1035

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    So they didn't have what you needed but still tried to lead you in the right direction? You people are silly:horse:
    If you consider handing someone who is ignorant on the subject a catalog and telling them to go find what they need "leading them in the right direction" then yes that is exactly what they did. A more helpful approach, and one to help win customers, would have been to ask what kind of rail is on the gun? Here are the options available to you. Their customer service is useless. I expected better out of another fireman.

LS!&*DUBB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I understand CUE's disappointment with Fort Liberty Firearms in Avon. Small shop. Few selections. IIUC, they are a spin-off/partners splitting, from AAC. Few shops I go to are really interested in what I need or inquire. I can say that there are a select few at Fort Liberty Firearms that have great knowledge when it comes to gunsmithing. It is what it is. I check in from time to time. You never know what you might find.

Top Bottom