Licensed gun owner aids Illinois cops in shootout with suspect; 1 officer injure

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    At least on IMPD, we do address it via training. Since making sergeant, I've been on two situations where the suspect had just fired shots at someone. One was contained and we were just going to hold for SWAT. The other was in the open and we were going to do a take down. In both situations I designated one officer to be the only one giving voice commands. It reduces the confusion on the other end, and it also frees up the other officers mental tasking to do other things. If I'm running the show, I'm never going to be the talker since talking and listening takes up more computing power then you'd think.

I'd also set the default verbal command to "don't move" since it applies in basically any situation, once things slow down and the person is compliant you can get into specifics of disarming them, moving them, etc.

The old saying KISS, keep it simple stupid. I’m glad to here this about IMPD.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My favorite line,

Can an officer make more accurate decisions in the new wild-west environment with so many good guys with guns? They’ll have to.

Well... "new" and "wild west" are mutually exclusive.
    Next, officers all over seem to be able to make those decisions. Maybe if they're worried, they should train their officers.
    Maybe they could take some pointers from Indiana.

It's always "the blood will run in the streets".

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison

And of course the study they are referring to is a Blumberg funded study, performed by an anti-gun organization.

I'd like to see a little more information about those statistics showing gun violence increases in the years following RTC. They claim it is 10% more than projected, but what are the projections based on? How does the violence in RTC areas compare to the violence in non-RTC areas? Are we talking 10% per capita, or 10% in absolute numbers?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    And of course the study they are referring to is a Blumberg funded study, performed by an anti-gun organization.

I'd like to see a little more information about those statistics showing gun violence increases in the years following RTC. They claim it is 10% more than projected, but what are the projections based on? How does the violence in RTC areas compare to the violence in non-RTC areas? Are we talking 10% per capita, or 10% in absolute numbers?

I hope they rinsed those numbers off before using them, since where they likely pulled them from isn't known for being particularly sanitary.

I'm skeptical to the point of cynicism on most of these "studies", as they all have an agenda and there's SOOOOOO many variables. I could probably tie ownership of Subarus to lower crime rates.

Top Bottom