• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Well...I am more comfortable and have trained more with "target" model 1911 that probably has 3.5-4lb trigger....over my DA/SA Beretta that has an 8lb, mile long trigger pull.

I feel more comfortable carrying my 1911 and keeping it on the nightstand for home protection because I am better with it and more disciplined with it.

The "light" trigger is bone stock(at least its how I got it)....Some would say the 5.5lb trigger on my Colt is light...compared to a S&W 4006...which a trigger scale wouldnt go high enough to measure...probably 14lbs.

Follow the rules, train regularly, be comfortable with your firearm of choice and I dont think you have anything to worry about.

Ive "swept" my house more than once with my light trigger 1911 due to a thump or bump in the night with nerves on edge and never had a shot go off on accident.

In a SD type situation you might have some adrenaline pumping...but it actually slows you down and "sharpens" you...you can/will compute double the scenarios in the same amount of time.

$.02
    God bless
    -Shred

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Burnsy;

Please cite a case, ONE case in which that has happened.

Valid point, I should have used "could" instead of "is". We already established that no one has been able to provide evidence of this happening in the past by posting anything of valid proof in the thread yet.

None the less, I still feel that an unmodified gun takes the chances of a modified trigger causing you problems in the eyes of a jury from possible to not possible. The could that I should have used becomes cannot.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Valid point, I should have used "could" instead of "is". We already established that no one has been able to provide evidence of this happening in the past by posting anything of valid proof in the thread yet.

None the less, I still feel that an unmodified gun takes the chances of a modified trigger causing you problems in the eyes of a jury from possible to not possible. The could that I should have used becomes cannot.
    If you are worried about a Modified Trigger causing you issues...

Those horrible Hollow Points should send shivers up your spine, hell the Military is not even allowed to use them cause they are so inhumane...

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    If you are worried about a Modified Trigger causing you issues...

Those horrible Hollow Points should send shivers up your spine, hell the Military is not even allowed to use them cause they are so inhumane...

Thanks for your tip, I will start carrying ball rounds :)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    House fires have happened, quite frequently.... poor analogy.

The analogy was good enough.

Please cite ONE instance in which someone in a self defense shooting has had an issue with a defensive handgun with a trigger job.
    Honestly, there's no point in arguing with such idiotic though processes. You're right. Because no one can provide a single case where it's ever happened, we're all guaranteed for the rest of eternity that it will NEVER, EVER happen. And none of us should ever be allowed to factor into our considerations our risk aversion to such a happenstance either. :rolleyes:

I have had many discussions with experts who can't.
    Great. Have a cookie.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I believe the issue is stating something as a truth that has no factual basis. The whole argument is based on opinion, but is portrayed as a true fact-
    "If you modify your SD weapon you WILL get into trouble if you have to use it."
    The anti gun crowd does same thing. telling us that we should not own guns because they are too dangerous for us to own, with no facts to base their claim on.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you lose credibility when you try to pass it along as a fact. Perpetuating gun myths is not educating anyone to the truths about gun ownership.
    Just my :twocents:

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I believe the issue is stating something as a truth that has no factual basis. The whole argument is based on opinion, but is portrayed as a true fact-
    "If you modify your SD weapon you WILL get into trouble if you have to use it."
    The anti gun crowd does same thing. telling us that we should not own guns because they are too dangerous for us to own, with no facts to base their claim on.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you lose credibility when you try to pass it along as a fact. Perpetuating gun myths is not educating anyone to the truths about gun ownership.
    Just my :twocents:

If your going to respond, please take the time to read the thread.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    As the original poster, I am pretty much done with the legal arguments. I see it as 2 sides, but not my intent of the question. My intent was more regarding technique, accuracy, and safety for both range and self defense. I have elected to take it back to stock. I will probably ditch the competition parts and either keep it stock or go with a better duty/ carry kit, but for now I am going back to stock.
    My reasoning is that I wish to be safe on the range and off, if I had to. I am less worried about the legal implications of stock versus non-stock in a self defense situation, in that if I have to be pointing a weapon at anyone, it will be condition orange or red, and I am would be defending my life, a loved one, or a really really good reason for someone else.
    At the range with the comp trigger parts, I have had 2 instances of having the gun discharge without my intent. To be clear, my arms were extended with the gun pointing at the target, with finger on the trigger, while in between shoots checking my target, I applied enough pressure to cook a round off. That was bad technique on my part, still following 3 of the safety rules, but I should have taken my finger off of the trigger while looking at the target in between shots (not the gun's fault or the parts/trigger, but my fault).
    That said, shame on me for not taking my finger off the trigger, but I wish to be a tad more safe with a heavier trigger. I will work on my trigger control (both the finger pulling and keeping my finger off of the trigger).
    I understand both sides of the "legal" argument, but I feel that the light trigger is a lesser of an issue if it is a justified shooting (meaning it is truly self defense). Obviously in a situation outside the home this could become more of an issue. I understand that, but I still feel it is less of an issue. Obvioulsy if was an accidental discharge where someone was hurt, that would be a completely different matter, but that goes back to gun safety a bit and whether the setup was reliable.
    Thanks for your input!

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    At the range with the comp trigger parts, I have had 2 instances of having the gun discharge without my intent.

I will probably ditch the competition parts and either keep it stock or go with a better duty/ carry kit, but for now I am going back to stock.

You have made the right choice.

I have changed springs and smoothed a revolver with a VERY heavy trigger (sp 101 ) for me and a friends mother, and I can see the benifit in a trigger job for heavy/grainy DA triggers.

I would never lighten a trigger to a point where I could not control it.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Competition Gun Trigger Question - Glock Talk

Not a court case cite as you requested but as Massad has been an expert witness in who knows how many SD cases and knows a hell of a lot more than me regarding SD case law, I choose to heed his advice.

Jurys are "supposed" to be unbiased. They are "supposed" to be a clean slate which is used to judge a person based on facts and actions alone. Personally, I don't think that happens all that often. I feel that the odds are fairly good that one or two of them might be and anti gun nut that slipped through the system and a few might be pro 2A as well.

That said, if you modify a SD gun the prosecutor is going to jump all over it and bring the fact up. Even if it really made no difference all he has to do is convince the majority of the jury that you are clearly a gun toting maniac who modified his hi cap murder device to kill "better". As long as the jury believes that whether it's true or not has no consequence.

For that reason my EDC will remain stock. I am sure there are many cases where a "light" trigger was used in SD and the user had no problems, but I choose to stack as many odds in my favor as possible.

When it comes down to me dying or living, I am betting and I am not going to cool or calm enough (I am not a trained killer) that a light or stock trigger is going to make much of a difference.
    I did read it. Recurring theme-Taking someones advice/opinion and passing it off to someone else as a genuine fact.

Top Bottom