• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • forthehousew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    indy
    What is the lightest 1911 currently available, that is reliable. I think the 1911 is 100 years old and wanted to get one that can be a ccw, anyonwe have suggestions or concerns with going too light.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You want the weight, helps recoil absorption and shooting from positions of distress (e.g. on your back left handed at the Wal-mart parking lot as you are being kicked).

You want to focus on a proper holster AND belt from the same maker. Look for something that sucks the platform up against you.

Seek training, allow software to select your hardware.

YouTube - More Concealed Carry Options

YouTube - Concealed Carry Options CCW

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Colt XSE, S&W 1911PD Scandium?

Didnt Kimber make a composite 1911?

The XSE feels like the perfect balance between heavy and light...just right.

God bless
    -Shred

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II that weighs in at 23.5 oz empty. It is a very accurate and easy to carry gun. Not what you want for an all day range gun but it is very manageable.

The best gun is one that you will learn to shoot well and carry with you. I have some 1911's pushing 40 oz empty that I like really well but I wouldn't want to conceal carry them all day everyday.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Not 100% certain, but I am pretty sure the Smith and Wesson Scandium frame 1911PD is the lightest at 33.4 ounces. Thats the 5" full size with rail I'm quoting.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    The lightest 1911 is the one you don't have on you when you need it because you left it at home thinking that a full-size steel frame 1911 is just too heavy.

Other than that, scandium is pretty light.

SW.Ecks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    LaPorte
    I EDC my SW1911 steel frame 5" bbl, I don't see what the problem is with the weight. It's not even noticable to me unless I'm running or jumping, all you need is a good belt to support a good holster for a good gun ;)

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    Aluminum frames and parts are utilized to reduce weight, but as Kirk mentioned when considering the 1911 platform weight is a good thing (to an extent). Why exactly are you looking at the 1911 for ccw? Not to imply that folks don't utilize them for concealed carry (some won't leave home without a 1911). Its just that you could select a gun that better fits the criteria of lighter weight and concealability than the 1911 platform. Joshua

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    My lightweight colt commander is 27 oz.

I wont leave home without my 1911, and would not carry the heavier version.

To say that a lightweight 1911 commander is difficult to shoot well FOR ME, is false. I shoot this gun just as good or better as my full size.

By better I mean its faster to point, quicker from the holster and easier to transition.

Lightweight, is BETTER for me from a CCW standpoint. From a shooting sport standpoint the frame wont last long enough, but for CCW its perfect.

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    i carry a colt defender and its as accurate to 25yards as my 5in 1911 i love it super light aswell for a carry gun get a aluminum frame if you plan to shoot it alot then look at steel framed guns

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My favorite for CC is the Kimber Ultra Carry. With a set of thin grips, it is very easy to CC and can be carried IWB all day without a problem. I don't find the lack of weight to be a problem when shooting it at all. It's accurate and the recoil is very manageble even when shooting +P ammo.

Kirk is spot on with the holster suggestion. No matter what type of gun you end up with, you will like carrying it more in a good holster designed to fit it. What fits me nicely are the Kramer Scabbards. Expensive, but worth it, especially in horsehide.

picture.php

Last edited:

forthehousew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    indy
    Light is nice

Thanks. Good feedback, will look for Kimber Ultra Carry and the S&W 1911 in Scandium. Both good brands. These seem hard to find. Maybe because they are so good they fly off the shelf or they cost their weight in gold, so they are scarce. Well dollar is getting lighter as inflation starts. Currently have a S&W Airweight pocket revolver so I am spoiled with light weight but feel the .45 1911 is better if (hope never) I need it.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Ive carried many 1911s over the years, and with a good belt and holster a fullsize is doable. But the lightweights and aluminum framed models are the way to go.

Personally I dont care for 1911s shorter than the 4" barreled 1911s.... my Kimber Pro CDP (pre series I) is just 28oz, 4" barrel and uses full sized mags (47Ds) and it feels as light as my G19 on my side.

Top Bottom