• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mas86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2018
    Noblesville
    I am looking into getting a full size Glock and am looking for recommendations on lights and red dots to use with it. This will be an EDC, I have looked at streamlight and holosun but was wanting to see if anyone had any recommendations / pros and cons for different brands.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    I have trijicon rmr and sro and a holoson. I can acquire targets faster with the holosun.it has the ring and dot, and is " shake awake" . All are great, but these old eyes work best with the holosun. I have shot all3 a bunch, no issues with durability at all. I bet it won't take long for trijicon to come out with a ring+dot like holosun. Can't go wrong with any of them. Don't waste your time and $ going cheap. As for a lite I use a streamlight w/ the laser also. Trijicon supressor height tubes.
    Expensive,yes, but as reliable as possible. Hope that helps.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I have a G34 with a Streamlight and Vortex Venom. Mine is more of a range/competition gun. For EDC I would recommend a shake awake style sight.

Attachments

• a 1        a G34.jpg
      a 1 a G34.jpg
      279.5 KB · Views: 7

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    you should check out seeall open sights. no batteries, tritium and non tritium lit. they have seriously expanded their product line now. they make mounting plates for most major manufacturers.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    RDS: RMR/SRO, Holosun, Leupold DPP

Weapon Light: TLR-1 HL, X300U

IMHO those are the best options / manufacturers for a full size duty gun

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    RDS: RMR/SRO, Holosun, Leupold DPP

Weapon Light: TLR-1 HL, X300U

IMHO those are the best options / manufacturers for a full size duty gun
    Pretty much this.

I'd throw in the Aimpoint ACRO as another RDS option if you want an enclosed emitter. Steiner apparently has a new red dot option out that's supposed to be good, but it's pretty much brand new to the market so not much track record or aftermarket support.

Holosun also is getting into the pistol weapon light game. They have something new that was just released.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I love the competition in the weapon light field becoming available. A lot of this market has been overpriced for it's eternity.

One issue with getting away from the X300 or TRL (or even back and forth between the two,) is that holsters for these get to become an issue. Change lights and you are asking to put the cost of new kydex on top. Consequently, your money is often lost as far as holster resale, especially in a specialty light, let alone a unique light on anything not a Glock. :twocents:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Shameless plug for a gent I don't know in the classy's...

Disclaimer - do your own research. I did NOT.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Sights are personal preference ( what you see well). Lights I can't speak to I don't have a weapon light

That says something in itself. ;)

I train with lights, have a couple x300's and holsters to accommodate. However, I rarely carry with a weapon light away from home.

One of the x300's lives in a Raven Vanguard3 in my truck bag though.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Hard to beat a 507c or 509t and a U-Boat IMHO , if surefire is not your thing I have heard nothing but good things about the new modlight offerings.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... if surefire is not your thing I have heard nothing but good things about the new modlight offerings.

The bad thing...

$319.00​

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    I purchased a g45 that has a tlr-1 on it. Haven't changed yet, and it came with a holster, but the light is longer than the slide. May have as well had a Glock 17 if I'm going to have a constant dent in my trucks leather seat. I see someone posted a tlr-7 that fits a g19, would have been a better option for me. Just something to think about when you figure out what you're getting.

Attachments

• IMG_20220227_075042355.jpg
      IMG_20220227_075042355.jpg
      312.6 KB · Views: 2
    Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I mean a X-300 is $250~ generally , they have been the gold standard for years now.

Oh I know. I think weapon lights as a whole are overvalued. I bought my x300's second hand in the classifieds.

After years of having them, I'm still not convinced that I want one on my pistol any more than occasional dedicated night time duty. Even then, you still have to have and know how use your hand held light.

Do all the folks that carry pricy/bulky weapon lights on their pistols have a retina scorching long throw kubaton capable handheld that is EDC'd daily too?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Oh I know. I think weapon lights as a whole are overvalued. I bought my x300's second hand in the classifieds.

After years of having them, I'm still not convinced that I want one on my pistol any more than occasional dedicated night time duty. Even then, you still have to have and know how use your hand held light.

Do all the folks that carry pricy/bulky weapon lights on their pistols have a retina scorching long throw kubaton capable handheld that is EDC'd daily too?

A lot of it is influencers I feel like, a comped gun with a X-300 or Modlight is the current hotness on Instagram TBH. Lights generally limit your holster availability severely , and honestly I feel personally don't offer much use to myself personally outside of a HD role generally. But I don't spend a lot of time outside in the dark either.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    One issue with getting away from the X300 or TRL (or even back and forth between the two,) is that holsters for these get to become an issue. Change lights and you are asking to put the cost of new kydex on top. Consequently, your money is often lost as far as holster resale, especially in a specialty light, let alone a unique light on anything not a Glock. :twocents:
    THIS ^^^ is a great point too and one often overlooked. The further you get away from Surefire or Streamlight rail mounted weapon lights, the harder it is to find holsters.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    A lot of it is influencers I feel like, a comped gun with a X-300 or Modlight is the current hotness on Instagram TBH. Lights generally limit your holster availability severely , and honestly I feel personally don't offer much use to myself personally outside of a HD role generally. But I don't spend a lot of time outside in the dark either.
    How often will a CCer actually use a WML in a self-defense capacity? I don't know. It's probably less likely than having to actually draw the gun, but I've never had to do that either.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. If I do need to light something up and potentially shoot it, I'd rather be able to keep two hands on the gun than try and hold a flashlight and shoot.

Of course there are entire threads dedicated just to this topic, so I'll leave it at that for now.

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    You don't know me, but I’ll still share my stance for the sake of context: A handgun is not ready to carry until it has a light and night sights, and the red dot is user choice, and with a dot is the only way I carry, these days. I carry every minute I am awake. I stay up late and my wife talks me into nighttime neighborhood walks, and those include our sub 1 year old child. I'm 250 pounds and drive a tight-fitting car. If I still drove a full size pick up without bolstered seats, I would likely carry differently.

By "full size" I would imagine you mean G17 or larger. That puts you into the SureFire X300 or Streamlight TLR-1 categories. The SureFire's are often faked, so pay attention to that. The SureFire is rock solid. The TLR-1 feels awesome mounted to the gun, but the switching is not to the same level as the SureFire. If someone is obsessed with carrying a SureFire X300, they should go direclty to the G34. When you start talking holsters, why not have as much light and gun as you can carry. No reason for one to be longer than the other. I have the G17 w/X300 and wish it was a G34.

A G19 or G45 with Streamlight TLR-7a is an amazing setup. Flush on the end of the gun and matches my opinion that lights and guns of the same length are the best way to maximize holster space. I have owned four SureFire XC-1b lights and all four of those have become TLR-7a lights.

I carry pretty much every moment I am awake and that is often until midnight. Most of my errands are run later in the day and it is Indiana so we have plenty of days where it is dark at 5pm or 6pm.

For red dot sights, decide if you like to buy American and government contract priced, or if you are okay buying foreign. American is Trijicon RMR, and foreign is Holosun.

I avoid MOS guns from Glock and send everything to BattleWerx, where the RMR/Holosun cut is maybe $130 by the time you are done with shipping. I use black primer spray paint over the machining and have not seen a sign of a problem

If you want to know anything about red dot sights, go to youtube and look up SAGE Dynamics for everything you need to know. There will be no reason to look for other reviews.

Holsters matter to me. I have had zero issue finding holsters for G19/45/17 with the X300, TLR-1, TLR-7a, and XC-1b. More context, this is with the G17 and long lights, and the g19/45 with the short lights.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Yes to your last question for me, but I do not use a WML on any handguns except my nightstand gun. All of my rifles have them. I don't see the need for a WML for armed citizens. Heck, Tom Givens even argues you don't need night sights and his students encounters would back that up. Part of me is still tempted but being a lefty finding holsters can already be problematic then add a light. If I was going to mount one it would probably be a smaller one like a TLR7.

Top Bottom