• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That's funny, I was just watching that. I just discovered their channel a week or so ago and they have absolutely the best light testing content I have ever seen. I would say it is light years ahead of anyone else.

Yeah, me too. Impressive content for someone you never heard of, eh?

I was looking at Olight weapon lights, specifically for the simplicity of recharging. These guys are one of the few making holsters for the Olights. Ironically, the Olight they tested did poorly.

Mas86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2018
    Noblesville
    THIS ^^^ is a great point too and one often overlooked. The further you get away from Surefire or Streamlight rail mounted weapon lights, the harder it is to find holsters.
    That is something I have also been looking at is pricing out what its like to have holsters made. I am not a big fan of kydex and have almost always used leather, so it looks like im going to have to have one custom made especially because I am left handed to.

Mas86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2018
    Noblesville
    A lot of it is influencers I feel like, a comped gun with a X-300 or Modlight is the current hotness on Instagram TBH. Lights generally limit your holster availability severely , and honestly I feel personally don't offer much use to myself personally outside of a HD role generally. But I don't spend a lot of time outside in the dark either.
    I am usually out all the time on the weekend's night and day thats why I was looking into them. I carry a pocket light for simple stuff but would prefer to have something mounted to my firearm so I don't have to mess with trying to hold a flashlight in one hand and trying to aim with the other if that scenario ever arises which I hope and pray it doesn't but i would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Mas86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2018
    Noblesville
    How often will a CCer actually use a WML in a self-defense capacity? I don't know. It's probably less likely than having to actually draw the gun, but I've never had to do that either.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. If I do need to light something up and potentially shoot it, I'd rather be able to keep two hands on the gun than try and hold a flashlight and shoot.

Of course there are entire threads dedicated just to this topic, so I'll leave it at that for now.
    Thats how i was thinking would i use it most likely not and hopefully not but just like you said i would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it

Mas86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2018
    Noblesville
    You don't know me, but I’ll still share my stance for the sake of context: A handgun is not ready to carry until it has a light and night sights, and the red dot is user choice, and with a dot is the only way I carry, these days. I carry every minute I am awake. I stay up late and my wife talks me into nighttime neighborhood walks, and those include our sub 1 year old child. I'm 250 pounds and drive a tight-fitting car. If I still drove a full size pick up without bolstered seats, I would likely carry differently.

By "full size" I would imagine you mean G17 or larger. That puts you into the SureFire X300 or Streamlight TLR-1 categories. The SureFire's are often faked, so pay attention to that. The SureFire is rock solid. The TLR-1 feels awesome mounted to the gun, but the switching is not to the same level as the SureFire. If someone is obsessed with carrying a SureFire X300, they should go direclty to the G34. When you start talking holsters, why not have as much light and gun as you can carry. No reason for one to be longer than the other. I have the G17 w/X300 and wish it was a G34.

A G19 or G45 with Streamlight TLR-7a is an amazing setup. Flush on the end of the gun and matches my opinion that lights and guns of the same length are the best way to maximize holster space. I have owned four SureFire XC-1b lights and all four of those have become TLR-7a lights.

I carry pretty much every moment I am awake and that is often until midnight. Most of my errands are run later in the day and it is Indiana so we have plenty of days where it is dark at 5pm or 6pm.

For red dot sights, decide if you like to buy American and government contract priced, or if you are okay buying foreign. American is Trijicon RMR, and foreign is Holosun.

I avoid MOS guns from Glock and send everything to BattleWerx, where the RMR/Holosun cut is maybe $130 by the time you are done with shipping. I use black primer spray paint over the machining and have not seen a sign of a problem

If you want to know anything about red dot sights, go to youtube and look up SAGE Dynamics for everything you need to know. There will be no reason to look for other reviews.

Holsters matter to me. I have had zero issue finding holsters for G19/45/17 with the X300, TLR-1, TLR-7a, and XC-1b. More context, this is with the G17 and long lights, and the g19/45 with the short lights.
    Thats very imformative and i appreciate it and yes I have been looking at G17 and G19 mostly, I am most likely looking for something that is going to stay flush with the end of the barrel. I have looked through a few holosuns and like them, and with holster i am most likely going to have one custom made because i am not a big fan of kydex so leather is what i usually go for and im left handed.

Mas86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2018
    Noblesville
    Yes to your last question for me, but I do not use a WML on any handguns except my nightstand gun. All of my rifles have them. I don't see the need for a WML for armed citizens. Heck, Tom Givens even argues you don't need night sights and his students encounters would back that up. Part of me is still tempted but being a lefty finding holsters can already be problematic then add a light. If I was going to mount one it would probably be a smaller one like a TLR7.
    I have the same problem with holster also being left handed and the real kicker is liking leather over kydex so i have come to the conclusion that no matter what set up i go with that i will have a custom made holster to fit what i buy.

Mas86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2018
    Noblesville
    Shameless plug for a gent I don't know in the classy's...

Disclaimer - do your own research. I did NOT.

I will have to look into it thank you

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This thread got me off on a holster tangent because I've been having a tough time finding light bearing holsters for my VP9 that also has an optics cut. I primarily carry OWB these days and the only thing I've found so far that works is a no name Amazon holster that carries and conceals well, but is just on the edge of acceptable retention. It works, but I wouldn't want to wrestle with it on l. It has no way to tighten it down at all.

My search led me to the PHLster Flood Light holsters. It retains the gun based on the specific light, not the pistol and gives you two ways to tighten it or loosen the retention, meaning it accepts multiple models of pistols. As long as you use the same light, it really doesn't matter what gun you're using. You can also reverse all of the hardware making it usable for right or left handed carry.

They have both IWB and OWB options and you can use Safariland QLS attachments, G-code, Bladetech. Lots of ways to reconfigure for types of carry and battle belt set-ups. It seems like a pretty ingenious set-up.

Last edited:

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I agree with a lot of the things discussed.

I believe a full size gun G34 or G17 with a full size WML has a role for beside, hotel room, or other circumstances where you would consider yourself in a "responsive" situation.

An EDC firearm, for me, is "reactive" G45, G19 or G43x size without a WML. I'll use my handheld as needed to supplement the firearm. If you feel a WML is absolutely needed for your EDC firearm go with a compact footprint like the TLR-7

Stick to The Surefire or Streamlight for holster compatibility.

Red dots in the Holosun or Trijicon variety seem to be proven enough. Personally I like options that allow the battery to be changed without removing the sight. I'm keeping my eye on reviews of the ACRO P2.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    +1 for TLR-1 on a full size G22. A lot of support for this combo in holsters due to it's previous agency use. Used to CC, but currently a bedside gun.

As for RDS; currently diving into this on handguns myself for the first time. Chose a Swampfox Liberty as I had an extra off a rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_20210211_153719581~3.jpg
      IMG_20210211_153719581~3.jpg
      206.8 KB · Views: 5

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Philster flood light holsters.
    And made right here in Indiana! Woo!

RE pistol lights:

I'm of a mind like many of other posters. I do not think they're a necessity on a daily carry handgun. At times they can be nice for sure.

And like so many other things in this industry - don't skimp out. You can quickly be a "penny wise but a pound foolish". IE - spending less on a not-quite-adequate WML can lead you spending 3-4x as much on holsters because only one dude in Snohomish, WA will even attempt to make a holster for your Taurus GX-4 SC with a Nebo HD w/ crennelated bezel.

Stick with well known and properly vetted options. Streamlight, Surfire, Modlight, and now Cloud Defensive (Though, honestly, CD doesn't yet have long-term pistol light vetting)

And for ME: IF you're going to put a WML on a life-saving device, I want a great deal many lumens and candela. 1000L minimum for ME - IF I carry a WML at all.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion solely about the pros and cons of a WML, but I can envision several scenarios where I'd want one. Many center around an active shooter threat. Think about trying to engage an active shooter in a dark movie theater or auditorium.

Another potential scenario is one where you arive home at night to find your front door kicked in. You may have ambient light outside but complete darkness inside the house. Even if you're not planning to go in an clear the house (bad idea), you'll probably want to be able to see if there is someone standing there just inside the threshold.

Just some food for thought.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...And for ME: IF you're going to put a WML on a life-saving device, I want a great deal many lumens and candela. 1000L minimum for ME - IF I carry a WML at all.

Something to keep in mind, for WML's and also hand helds (what we should be searching with, rather than gun muzzle.) Crazy bright lights can be blinding to the operator inside the house.

My house is small, with white walls. Much over 500 lumens in the pitch black and the reflection can kill my instant ability to identify the target.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Something to keep in mind, for WML's and also hand helds (what we should be searching with, rather than gun muzzle.) Crazy bright lights can be blinding to the operator inside the house.

My house is small, with white walls. Much over 500 lumens in the pitch black and the reflexion can kill my instant ability to identify the target.

This is easily mitigated by pointing the light at the ceiling or the floor and lighting up the room with the ambient light. I've done plenty of night time low-light room clearing drills at home with both rifles and pistols without much issue. All my walls are white.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This is easily mitigated by pointing the light at the ceiling or the floor and lighting up the room with the ambient light. I've done plenty of night time low-light room clearing drills at home with both rifles and pistols without much issue. All my walls are white.

Thanks. I've heard this before. That brings the next question though.

Even though you can avoid blinding yourself, using ambient light, what happens when you actually have to level your weapon? Do you want to save the blinding for then?

Especially in and around doorways, which are always involved, you aren't really jumping out to expose yourself to separate your leveled weapon from bright reflection. Let alone inadvertent unintentional lighting up of something that is your cover.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Even though you can avoid blinding yourself, using ambient light, what happens when you actually have to level your weapon? Do you want to save the blinding for then?

Especially in and around doorways, which are always involved, you aren't really jumping out to expose yourself to separate your leveled weapon from bright reflection. Let alone inadvertent unintentional lighting up of something that is your cover.
    I know this will fall on mostly deaf ears, if you are going to carry a WML it would really behoove you to take a low light class or two. Even better, low light FOF. (Meant as general you not specific, you).

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

After taking a low light class and practicing in my own home, I honestly consider it a non issue. This idea that you're going to disorient yourself seems to me at least to to be much more internet mythology than reality.

Most homes have some level of ambient light, even at night. The odds of you finding yourself in a gun fight in pitch black conditions is pretty much zero, whether inside or outside. Short of pointing your WML directly into the bathroom mirror from 2 feet away, I just don't think you're going to end up "blinding" yourself. A low ready position with the light on gives you plenty of spill. You're probably going to be fine if you ID a threat and have to point your pistol at it unless the bad guy is Liberace or Elton John.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I know this will fall on mostly deaf ears, if you are going to carry a WML it would really behoove you to take a low light class or two. Even better, low light FOF. (Meant as general you not specific, you).

I whole heartedly agree. Been to both, in multiples.

After your night vision has kicked in, it's a different experience. The older you get, the longer it takes for your night vision to adjust. Needless to say, it takes my eyes a while for night vision to work for me. Around an hour into full darkness, my night vision is running full on. Then, also very susceptible to self blinding.

Nothing compares to the experience of blinding yourself accidently, when under pressure.

Being too close to the white barrel that is your cover. Light on the wrong side for the cover you are behind. Freezing on the light switch or not getting it turned off before accidental blinding. Super bright light pointed to your path, even new white gravel in a range bay can cause a squint. Many many lumens hitting in front of your feet can be a problem. The same with a white ceiling, door or door frame. Not to mention, anything glass.

How much does squinting slow down your target acquisition and engagement?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom