• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kuting

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    MSG2 - Frankfort
    I've been planning out an AR for my girlfriend for training and home defense. Reliable, lightweight, and low cost are the main objectives, in that order. The main idea right now is a lightweight midlength 14.5" w/permanently attached muzzle device or a 16" barrel, MOE stock, grip, and handguard, G2X in an offset mount, MBUS, and a red dot of some sort.

Current ideas and questions;

Lower - The polymer lowers like the Plumb Crazy are extremely low cost ($119 for a complete lower) and are much lighter than a standard lower, but I can't find much on the net about them. Does anyone have experience with them? Weight savings and a lower price tag isn't worth something that's going to crap the bed in 500 rounds.

Barrel - Looking for a lightweight midlength 14.5" or 16". Still trying to decide if a BCM or DD barrel will be worth it or not. I'm not too concerned about the 1:9, because she won't be shooting anything other than 55 or 62g ammo. If it's not a CHF barrel I don't think it'd be a huge issue either, because I can't afford to shoot out a barrel, and if she ends up at the range more than me there's something wrong. RRA makes what I'm looking for, for about $250 for the complete barrel assembly, versus $350+ for a BCM or DD. As to the length, how much will soldering run, roughly, to attach the FH if I go with the 14.5, and how much weight will 1.5" of a .625" barrel save? Thoughts?

Optics - I'd like to get her used to irons before I put a red dot on the gun, but I'm also looking around for a red dot of some sort. I've heard good things about the micro clones from Primary Arms as far as durability and holding a zero. She's not going to be scuba diving with the rifle or using night vision, so I can't justify dropping the funds on an Aimpoint for something that may get shot every few months. What are other options, like the Sig red dot or others? Something around $100 seems reasonable for the purpose of the weapon.

I've already got the stripped upper, and I'm going to get a BCM BCG and Gunfighter CH when I get the upper put together. I don't mind spending money for quality, but I'm also considering what this will be used for. You don't need a super duty pickup to get groceries and travel across town, so why pay for it? If I can stay under $1000 I'll be happy.

Kut

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    you should be able to stay under $1000 easy. go with the standard lower-medium grade parts from RRA, bushmaster, dpms, stag.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I would say you could save on a few parts if it is just for fun. IMHO no need for a Gunfighter CH on a fun gun, if she needs to take a sec to look down and charge it at the range its no big deal, its not a gun fight. As far as numbers for the weight dif on the 14.5 and 16 in barrels I would just suggest it might just be easier to stick with the 16". Also I did some pricing and it seemed to be cheaper to buy a Del-Ton lower already assembled than I could build one after paying for all the other parts and the stripped lower. Just some ideas. Good luck with the build.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I bought the following light weight setup for my son

DD 14.5 mid - Lightweight barrel $256
    Spikes Complete Lower $179
    Spikes Upper $125
    Gunfighter Charging $45
    Flash Hider $55
    VTAC 13" LW rail $185
    Buffer Tube $35
    Low Profile Gas block and tube $48
    SPieks BCG $124
    Total = $1052

This Spikes is complete and a nice rifle for $809

ST-15 Mid-Length LE Carbine [STR5035-MLS] - $809.95 : Spikes Tactical

Last edited:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have to live up to my motto,
    "if you're gonna cheap out, stay home and save up for what you really want"

or something like that:n00b:

Your guns are good Larry, your mottos......

Leave a little bit to be desired. I wouldnt go into motivational speaking anytime soon :)

sonrider657

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    Consider a Cav Arms lower while they can still be found.

magpul 2.jpg

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I've been planning out an AR for my girlfriend for training and home defense. Reliable, lightweight, and low cost are the main objectives, in that order. The main idea right now is a lightweight midlength 14.5" w/permanently attached muzzle device or a 16" barrel, MOE stock, grip, and handguard, G2X in an offset mount, MBUS, and a red dot of some sort.

Current ideas and questions;

Lower - The polymer lowers like the Plumb Crazy are extremely low cost ($119 for a complete lower) and are much lighter than a standard lower, but I can't find much on the net about them. Does anyone have experience with them? Weight savings and a lower price tag isn't worth something that's going to crap the bed in 500 rounds.

Barrel - Looking for a lightweight midlength 14.5" or 16". Still trying to decide if a BCM or DD barrel will be worth it or not. I'm not too concerned about the 1:9, because she won't be shooting anything other than 55 or 62g ammo. If it's not a CHF barrel I don't think it'd be a huge issue either, because I can't afford to shoot out a barrel, and if she ends up at the range more than me there's something wrong. RRA makes what I'm looking for, for about $250 for the complete barrel assembly, versus $350+ for a BCM or DD. As to the length, how much will soldering run, roughly, to attach the FH if I go with the 14.5, and how much weight will 1.5" of a .625" barrel save? Thoughts?

Optics - I'd like to get her used to irons before I put a red dot on the gun, but I'm also looking around for a red dot of some sort. I've heard good things about the micro clones from Primary Arms as far as durability and holding a zero. She's not going to be scuba diving with the rifle or using night vision, so I can't justify dropping the funds on an Aimpoint for something that may get shot every few months. What are other options, like the Sig red dot or others? Something around $100 seems reasonable for the purpose of the weapon.

I've already got the stripped upper, and I'm going to get a BCM BCG and Gunfighter CH when I get the upper put together. I don't mind spending money for quality, but I'm also considering what this will be used for. You don't need a super duty pickup to get groceries and travel across town, so why pay for it? If I can stay under $1000 I'll be happy.

Kut

First off if you dont know a barrel less then 16in is a sbr and requires a tax stamp some paperwork with the gov and a lonnnnnnggg wait.

Under a thousand should be really easy. Get a standard pensil barrel if you trying to keep the weight down. I would make it a good barrel though. Palmetto has complete lower build kits with magpul gear for around $150 and kit with upper graded triggers more. They also have nice barrels for what your looking for. moe stuff is really light and not to bad on the pocket. plammetto also hase the new moe gen2 sights. Th mi sights are really nice but will run you 200 for both as opposed to the moe at around 100 for both. yhm makes some really nice and nicly priced 4rail forarms that are really light as well. Oh and duracoat can make it pink,blue, or what ever color she could desire. :D

Kuting

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    MSG2 - Frankfort
    First off if you dont know a barrel less then 16in is a sbr and requires a tax stamp some paperwork with the gov and a lonnnnnnggg wait.

14.5 with a perm attached A2X FH brings the OAL to 16.1" The length of the actual barrel doesn't matter as long as the entire barrel assembly is a permanent 16"+. Hence the 11.5's with perm attached 5.5" FH's (Which has never made sense to me... Why on Earth would you want a shorter gas system, lower muzzle velocity, more wear on the BCG, AND a 17" barrel length???)

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    14.5 with a perm attached A2X FH brings the OAL to 16.1" The length of the actual barrel doesn't matter as long as the entire barrel assembly is a permanent 16"+. Hence the 11.5's with perm attached 5.5" FH's (Which has never made sense to me... Why on Earth would you want a shorter gas system, lower muzzle velocity, more wear on the BCG, AND a 17" barrel length???)

The above is all very true. I stated it the way I did in case he had an idea well doing so. Also depending on what he has at the time the parts are not yet welded togather he could still fall prey to the alphabets. Granted not likely but yet very possible and with whos currently in charge its best to take no chances.

Top Bottom