• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville
    I love to listen to music...lotta blues music and guitar greats.
    My mom had an album collection that I listened to as a kid.
    Pink Floyd Ummagumma was the first I chose to listen to.
    Been on Pink Floyd since. David Gilmour is one of my favorite guitarist.
    Now at 56 years young I pretty much still listen to the same things ..If you haven't heard of Joe Bonamassa give him a listen.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Mp3’s Are digital audio. Digital audio has the ability to sound as good as records or cd’s and exceed them.

Streaming media is hollow and compressed.

I like most all mentioned here. I would throw in Toto Peter Frampton with Frampton comes alive. The black Metallica album. Miles Davis. Dire straights. Soundgarden and about all well recorded grunge rock.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Mp3’s Are digital audio. Digital audio has the ability to sound as good as records or cd’s and exceed them.

I like most all mentioned here. I would throw in Toto Peter Frampton with Frampton comes alive. The black Metallica album. Miles Davis. Dire straights. Soundgarden and about all well recorded grunge rock.

MP3 is a compression algorithm (as is MP4). Perhaps you are confusing it with WAV or AIFF or FLAC, there are always losses during compression. Its the same reason professional photographers often work in RAW format

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Go all the way back with Frampton.......Humble Pie. 30 Days in the hole.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I wish i could listen to some music at a decent volume. Having a Marantz stereo and klipsch speakers i am lucky to get to play it for 30 minutes a month. Sadly the record player has become more of a decoration:(

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wish i could listen to some music at a decent volume. Having a Marantz stereo and klipsch speakers i am lucky to get to play it for 30 minutes a month. Sadly the record player has become more of a decoration:(

I have a Sony Quartz Lock that I have not used in years. Needs a needle/cartridge.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Flak and other loss less music is digital audio. This is what I was getting at. Mp3’s done correctly don’t make a tremendous downturn in quality of today’s EDM style music. It is recorded wrong. Compression does cut quality but most stuff in modern music one would be very hard pressed to tell the difference. Now add in concert or classical music recorded live that has range where you could tell. It starts out real low level with say kettle drums light and ends in the whole orchestra at volume. Some jazz and progressive rock

truth is most people can’t tell or understand the difference. Those of us who can tell have good ears and good equipment. 96/16 is becoming pretty common HD Audio format.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Flak and other loss less music is digital audio. This is what I was getting at. Mp3’s done correctly don’t make a tremendous downturn in quality of today’s EDM style music. It is recorded wrong. Compression does cut quality but most stuff in modern music one would be very hard pressed to tell the difference. Now add in concert or classical music recorded live that has range where you could tell. It starts out real low level with say kettle drums light and ends in the whole orchestra at volume. Some jazz and progressive rock

truth is most people can’t tell or understand the difference. Those of us who can tell have good ears and good equipment. 96/16 is becoming pretty common HD Audio format.

I don't understand how the digital music works, but I have around 17,000 songs in my iTunes library on my laptop. On a lot of these songs have I ended up with more than one version. I go to play a song, and it sounds wrong, flat somehow. So I click on the next version of the same song, and it sounds wonderful, full and clear. I have went through them and done my playlists to include all the best versions. Haven't had a turntable in over 25 years. Some songs (albums) I have bought over on iTunes or new CDs as I have found remastered versions. These sound great.

Every song I play these days is on my laptop or phone. The laptop has Bose Companion 5 speakers, and they sound great. The iphone plays Bose headphones, Bose SoundLink II bluetooth speaker, my car stereo (Kenwod headunit, JL Audio everything else), and the garage stereo (Denon AVR 1000 reciever, Pioneer HPM 1100 speakers).

Problem is that when CDs first came out, I had a buddy get a CD player, and he played me Bob Seger Like A Rock. It was so crisp and clear.... I was in love. I went out and got a CD player. Of course the first CD I got had to be Floyd, but I couldn't find a Dark Side, so I got The Wall. Same experience though... Very crisp clear playback compared to my turntable. Didn't take long before I went completely digital...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't understand how the digital music works, but I have around 17,000 songs in my iTunes library on my laptop. On a lot of these songs have I ended up with more than one version. I go to play a song, and it sounds wrong, flat somehow. So I click on the next version of the same song, and it sounds wonderful, full and clear. I have went through them and done my playlists to include all the best versions. Haven't had a turntable in over 25 years.

Every song I play these days is on my laptop or phone. The laptop has Bose Companion 5 speakers, and they sound great. The iphone plays Bose headphones, Bose SoundLink II bluetooth speaker, my car stereo (Kenwod headunit, JL Audio everything else), and the garage stereo (Denon AVR 1000 reciever, Pioneer HPM 1100 speakers).

Problem is that when CDs first came out, I had a buddy get a CD player, and he played me Bob Seger Like A Rock. It was so crisp and clear.... I was in love. I went out and got a CD player. Of course the first CD I got had to be Floyd, but I couldn't find a Dark Side, so I got The Wall. Same experience though... Very crisp clear playback compared to my turntable. Didn't take long before I went completely digital...

I sometimes miss the tape hiss that was in the background of the album. It was just part of the experience.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I sometimes miss the tape hiss that was in the background of the album. It was just part of the experience.

That was one of the things I wanted to get away from... I wanted to hear the instruments, or the silence in between, but not the hiss of the tape or pop of the needle.

You know, the little things like when a guitar player is changing the position of his fingers and you can hear them rub on the strings...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That was one of the things I wanted to get away from... I wanted to hear the instruments, or the silence, but not the hiss of the tape or pop of the needle.

Granted but I grew up with the sounds. I really heard them with my 1st set of really decent speakers. Probably 73 or so. They had HPM tweeters and you could hear the hiss.
    We went through stages building up towards the CD era. Including a graphic equalizer to filter out those sounds. I still have the equalizer. We still use it.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I think it was Zeppelin II that had tangerine on it, the first time I heard it on a CD, you can hear footsteps on a creaky wood floor as the song begins! I’d listened to that song hundreds of times before on vinyl and never heard that. I never had really high end gear before that, so I assume it was always there, just not apparent to me until I went digital. That being said, I have an old 70s Akai receiver hooked to a set of even earlier 70s Utah speakers in my garage, and listening to something like the Allman brothers Fillmore shows from my IPod are absolutely amazing, way beyond any car audio system I’ve ever had access to, or even the high end headphones that my son has.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I have a friend who has a Large collection of Master albums.They go back to the Beatles.They were made from a special low friction vinyl which did not produce static.To this day,nothing sounds as natural as those recordings.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Anything with a lot of overtones (in the acoustic sense) always sounds degraded to me in a lossy format. Acoustic piano (including upright), High quality musicians on high quality guitars (esp 12 string), violinists, as well as multi-player music such as string quartets, chamber orchestra and of course symphony orchestra. The overproduced popstar flavor of the month, not so much

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    .mp3 at 128KHz is close enough for government work vs an uncompressed CD, but if you have the ear for it you can hear the difference. First CD player I bought, I first bought a few CDs that I knew down to the musical subtleties. I tried a few passages on different decks and even with CDs I could hear differences, so I wound up with the Denon. No digital format can be truly equal to the pure analog of a needle on vinyl, though by throwing bits and CPU cycles at it, you can approach equivalence. I have many GB of .mp3s, mostly at 128KHz. The Amarok player has a decent 10 band filter and I'm plugged into a crappy 2+1 amplified speaker system. I look forward to getting my stereo stacked back up and dropping the needle on vinyl for the first time in about 15 years. I have fresh belts etc,

When I'm listening to listen:

Yes
    King Crimson
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    Cake, El Oso, Crowbar, Beck, Van Halen, NIN, whatever catches my fancy
    I have a directory of Bluegrass
    Another of Bossa Nova and such
    Jimi Hendrix
    The Who
    Moody Blues
    Selections from ELO
    Albinoni Adagio in G Minor
    Sarasate
    Beethoven 6th, 9th, other stuff
    Rossini
    Bach

Sometimes I just go on a tear through all the .mp3s and play random [bad word] you'd never think of.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom