• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Still have my carver tube pre amp and amp. Have an old turntable works well but the mid’s Are to warm and my denon sounds just as good. Never would have believed that. The tubes do have that nice warmth to them but when you get out a meter and look not hear (hearing goes so much as we age) the denon reproduces very well. Headphones in the 300 and up range are where to go for listening pleasure on a chair. We don’t spend enough money to shape the room for sound (wives hate these sound dampen items)

i tunes can get nasty if you have ripped music from other rippers and then added iTunes and did the search. I have had to redo it a few times to get the four copies of a song to go away. Found my networked backup drives more than once also. There is also one little check mark place to make the tunes lossless that is not check by default you need to hit before it does the search. That check mark changes things up so you don’t get optimized for an IPod device to fit 10k songs. I think iTunes adds a folder and if reran autofind makes another folder inside the iTunes folder causing several of the same songs to show up. Apple stuff works well for those who don’t need to do much but becomes harder and harder the more you want it to do for you. Jrivers is a nice player.

There is some newer music out that the kids like. I must be stuck pre 1999.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    .mp3 at 128KHz is close enough for government work vs an uncompressed CD, but if you have the ear for it you can hear the difference. First CD player I bought, I first bought a few CDs that I knew down to the musical subtleties. I tried a few passages on different decks and even with CDs I could hear differences, so I wound up with the Denon. No digital format can be truly equal to the pure analog of a needle on vinyl, though by throwing bits and CPU cycles at it, you can approach equivalence. I have many GB of .mp3s, mostly at 128KHz. The Amarok player has a decent 10 band filter and I'm plugged into a crappy 2+1 amplified speaker system. I look forward to getting my stereo stacked back up and dropping the needle on vinyl for the first time in about 15 years. I have fresh belts etc,

When I'm listening to listen:

Yes
    King Crimson
    Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    Cake, El Oso, Crowbar, Beck, Van Halen, NIN, whatever catches my fancy
    I have a directory of Bluegrass
    Another of Bossa Nova and such
    Jimi Hendrix
    The Who
    Moody Blues
    Selections from ELO
    Albinoni Adagio in G Minor
    Sarasate
    Beethoven 6th, 9th, other stuff
    Rossini
    Bach

Sometimes I just go on a tear through all the .mp3s and play random [bad word] you'd never think of.

Hall of the Crimson King.....memories there.
    Hendrix changed the way I look at musicians and music.
    The Blues. We were just looking at replacing some of the lost vinyl with CD's.
    I have everything Yes produced.

My ears are beat the hell up from years and years of abuse. I can still hang for a while but higher volumes for long periods takes a toll.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have a friend who has a Large collection of Master albums.They go back to the Beatles.They were made from a special low friction vinyl which did not produce static.To this day,nothing sounds as natural as those recordings.

These must be what the serious audiophile are talking about. I'd like to heard one of these one time. All my albums were just what I got at the PX, or, record store, or Walmart...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    These must be what the serious audiophile are talking about. I'd like to heard one of these one time. All my albums were just what I got at the PX, or, record store, or Walmart...

There was a day when my 1st stop on payday was Obidiahs music store. 1 or 2 selections came home with me every week. They were cleaned with a good anti static cloth and recorded onto a good metal tape. Once recorded the were put into a good sleeve and stored. Some were recorded in total and then select tunes put onto other tapes as in travel music. Party mood music etc. We had a serious collection of music.
    Our van was stolen and a large chunk of the tapes were lost along with the killer sounds we had installed in it. That hurt. Then we were robbed of the rest of the tapes when our house was broken into while we were away for the weekend at the lake. That really hurt. CD's were really coming to be the next great thing so we opted to go that route. I gave away my vinyl to friends that were deeply involved. I still have the turntable but no use for it. It is a decent unit and still runs. Needs a needle/cartridge. I would give it to someone if they would use it.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I actually bought my first CD before I owned a player to play it in! I don’t remember the exact year in the 80s I bought it, but it was at the time that radio stations were switching over to CDs, and a lot of artists/albums weren’t even available yet on CD. I still have the CD, Jimi Hendrix Live at Winterland, released by Rykodisk. I didn’t buy a player until another month or so later, a JVC unit that I’m sure I still have somewhere in the garage.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yes, but not much of it has as much soul as the older music. Many of the newer artists are taking a different approach. Those that are doing good stuff now are far fewer in number.

What general genre do you like, maybe we can offer you some recommendations to get you "over the hump"

Another way to hear some good stuff is to just pick a random starting page in "What are you listening to now" and just play anything embedded that looks interesting

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The early cd players were not able to truly follow the cd audio format set in the Japanese version IEEE standards.
    The ones that followed the true standard were expensive ones. It took almost two years before the new CD players you bought actually followed the standard they set for them and were affordable. I thought no Sony and Panasonic took 90 cents a cd back then also.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I get on youtube and look for something I know, and often find remixes or remakes by some good bands. Also there are often totally random songs and bands in the list on the right margin.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    What general genre do you like, maybe we can offer you some recommendations to get you "over the hump"

Another way to hear some good stuff is to just pick a random starting page in "What are you listening to now" and just play anything embedded that looks interesting

I will listen to a mixture of types depending on my mood, but easily 90% of what I'm playing is your standard motown, disco, or rock from the mid 60s through the mid 80s.

Pink Floyd
    Bachman Turner Overdrive
    The Eagles
    Bob Seger
    Rush
    Credence Clearwater Revival
    Three Dog Night
    Sam Cooke
    .38 Special
    Moody Blues
    Fleetwood Mac
    Electric Light Orchestra
    Toto
    Alan Parsons Project

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Roses are red
    violets are blue
    when I listen to Metallica
    my neighbors do too.

But I don’t have any neighbors for the most part. (Nobody to complain at least)

Steely dan
    dire straights (music well recorded. )
    Miles davis
    traffic
    gov’ment mule (live recordings)
    Frank Zappa (once again mostly live recordings)
    cake
    the outlaws (nothing like an army of guitars)
    The talking heads (stop making sense is the best concert movie by far)
    social distortion
    Sound garden
    Funkadelic ( got to get in the ship)
    the string cheese incident (live)
    The Who
    the Red Hot Chili Peppers
    and RUSH (thinking mans rock)

i think i hit at least one band from the 1950-2010. Several styles funk punk rock jazz and jam band. I seem to trend to live
    performances as I attended tons of concerts before they priced me out of the market.

Getting a new USB/DSP soon. Lately been driving the kids crazy with new grass music.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    [video=youtube_share;v4QbEcVVBHM]https://youtu.be/v4QbEcVVBHM[/video]

a little taste of something done in one take on tape in an old house of worship with some great players. Jack white Ricky Skaggs Ashley Monroe ect.

[video=youtube_share;yckGkBAobJA]https://youtu.be/yckGkBAobJA[/video]

a taste of new grass. Nirvana done well different.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Stop Making Sense, hehe I've often wondered... I would've been slapped or richly rewarded. I went to see it in the afternoon matinee (I don't get on well with theaters) and there were these two chicks working there. One noticed my walkperson that happened to have a record jack, and asked if I planned to pirate the audio. Reckon I should've asked if one of them wanted to sit with me and keep me "out of" trouble... well, fortune favors the bold, but Asperger's doesn't.

I've been wanting to fill in my Big Band knowledge. I grew up listening to the Mills Brothers, Ink Spots, that kind of thing. OOH AS A KID I GOT TO SEE THE MILLS BROTHERS LIVE AT STARLIGHT! That was most cromulent. Right this moment I'm listening to Dread Zeppelin. Picture a white reggae band, fronted by an Elvis impersonator that really hams it up, and covering Led Zeppelin songs.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I will listen to a mixture of types depending on my mood, but easily 90% of what I'm playing is your standard motown, disco, or rock from the mid 60s through the mid 80s.

Pink Floyd
    Bachman Turner Overdrive
    The Eagles
    Bob Seger
    Rush
    Credence Clearwater Revival
    Three Dog Night
    Sam Cooke
    .38 Special
    Moody Blues
    Fleetwood Mac
    Electric Light Orchestra
    Toto
    Alan Parsons Project

I must admit, I'm struggling a bit because I infer a preference for guitar driven music, which is becoming less common; as well as the sort of intricate music one can really immerse oneself in. Let me know if any of these "strike a chord"

[video=youtube;2tN875A3Bj8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tN875A3Bj8[/video]

[video=youtube;8SGVRcJARxQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SGVRcJARxQ[/video]

[video=youtube;S3fTw_D3l10]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3fTw_D3l10[/video]

[video=youtube;2q7qjFJKOXs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q7qjFJKOXs[/video]

[video=youtube;0-7IHOXkiV8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-7IHOXkiV8[/video]

[video=youtube;xqMWXV5Dkog]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqMWXV5Dkog[/video]

[video=youtube;G6R1piAm1Ts]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6R1piAm1Ts&list=PLLMz6fhGDaM5ZlNfcY5CNVTU ewNUrz_mY[/video]

[video=youtube;OoO_EYPjh6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoO_EYPjh6o[/video]

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I once had over 800 CDs of rock and pop from the 60's to the 90's. I really enjoyed making party CDs and other mixes to listen to in the car. I've always seemed to have a long commute wherever I've lived. I was in the Navy for many, many years so having some CDs on the ship was a good way to unwind and keep the stress at bay. I got tired of lugging the boxes of CDs around and went through a period where I wasn't listening at all and I finally sold the collection to a DJ and used the money to buy a gun ;). The Allman Brothers were one of the first bands I really connected with and with Gregg's recent passing I started to acquire a lot of their music again. There is so much more available now than there was in the 90's when I was putting most of my collection together. So I have between 250-300 ABB CDs with all of their studio recordings and many live shows. Recently I have had some health issues and for some reason this made me start gathering in the music of my youth and beyond. I've been burning up Ebay acquiring a lot of the music I had before in better compilations and many remasters. I love to make my own version of greatest hits CDs as may taste in songs rarely matches up with whoever puts out the GH Cds the record companies make available. My taste runs all over. Of course I have dozens of Allman Brothers mix CDs but I also listen to everything from Bread and the Carpenters to Led Zeppelin, the Who, the Police, the Cars, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Uriah Heep, old REO Speedwagon, Kansas, Boston, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Garbage, Cat Stevens, Heart, Tom Petty, ELO, Pearl Jam, James Taylor, Queen, Elvis Costello, UFO, Starz, Fleetwood Mac (with and without Peter Green), Hendrix, Poco, Linda Ronstadt, the Eagles, Van Halen, the Tedeschi Trucks Band, Veruca Salt, Gov't Mule, Aerosmith, Collective Soul, Soul Asylum, Firefall, etc. You get the idea.

Top Bottom