• Loaded Round Indicator

• Total voters

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    INyooper beat me to it in reference to the Glock loaded chamber indicator. :rockwoot:

ESRice mentioned the fact of being able to detect if you have a loaded firearm in the dark. You can feel in the dark to tell if a Glock is loaded.

I do like being able to see the round on the Smith and Wesson M&P, but would not want to turn on a flashlight to verify at night.

Loaded chamber indicators are practical in my opinion. :twocents: I

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    I don't own a firearm with a "loaded chamber indicator." However I could see the benefit. I don't believe it's intended purpose is for verifying an empty chamber, but instead to provide a visual indicator that it IS loaded. I realize that a bit of crud could give a false reading (I like the fact that the glock puts it on the extractor), but when it's working as intended, it could have some tactical advantage in some scenarios.

I've caught myself checking my chamber before if I was in an especially bad neighborhood, or if I hear something suspicious outside. Yes my carry pistol is always loaded, but sometimes ya just want to know for sure. In the end, it's not a deal breaker either way if I'm purchasing a firearm.

Packrat67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    My XD9 has one and I like it. Not to see if chamber is empty or not, rack it to find out for sure. It is just a nice safety feature If somebody else is handeling the weapon.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I voted don't care.

I for sure do not love them, I would never trust it nor use it, but I can't really say I hate them.

If a gun has one, no big deal, I just wont use it. It doesn't have any impact on whether I will purchase the gun or not.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Press and check method is the only way to go. Move the slide just enough to feel with the tip of your finger.

You can't visually check if you're in the darkness. And there are times when you dont have enough time to use your flashlight to check.

I've gotten in the habit of "pressing and checking" everytime I shoot my Glock.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I don't care one way or the other.

But I'm not going to trust it one way or the other either.

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I voted nice feature, but I still manually check or clear the gun if needed. I would never just look through the hole and then pull the trigger. That is just stupid.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For a rimfire, it's dangerous. Ruger used to install steel LCI's on the Mark III until someone realized that if that LCI gets hit with enough force it's possible to detonate the primer. They replaced it with a plastic piece that's suppose to break before transferring enough impulse force. FYI, there's a guy in WI that sells replacements for the Mk. III, well worth the money, PM me for the name.

I think it just another cranny to attract dirt and then jam up.

After a day at the range and a good cleaning, my carry piece gets loaded. Always. I know it's loaded so I don't need a doo-hickey to tell me this. I've never experience a loaded gun unloading itself (Glocks self-firing excluded).

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    EVERY GUN IS LOADED!:yesway:

Only way to be sure is to manually inspect...if there is one on any of my guns I ignore them.....

:dunno:

We read all the time about all sorts of other gun malfunctions and you want to trust your life or have a major accident relying on some spring loaded mechanical device that is subject to failure????

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    i like it on the opposite end. when tearing down, or otherwise messing with the firearm, it is ignored and manually checked. after cleaning multiple firearms (i keep my m&p loaded as it is my edc) its nice to be able to pick it up and look at the top and go "yes i did chamber a round, or no i did not chamber a round, guess i should do that then add another to the magazine). it saves me from taking the magazine out and racking the slide only to watch a round get tossed out and have to reload it again.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Every gun is assumed to be loaded at all times, regardless of any mechanical device. It is your responsibility to visually check the chamber every time you pick up the pistol. Even then, it does not relieve you from following the basic safety rules.

Top Bottom