• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gutpile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    i am Considering a Glock 20SF. i had a 10 mm delta long ago....... my questions are this I am considering LWD barrels and in 9mm (cheap practice and competition) 40S&W and 357 sig barrels for play and carry. are the conversions dependable ?

thanks
    Gutpile

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The .40 barrel is pretty dependable, though if you are using light loads and keep the stock spring it may not cycle reliably. I have it for my G20 and 29. Can't speak to the others, and until a short time ago they didn't even offer the 9x19, I see they recommend an 11lb spring and +p ammo, and they only have ot in 6" bbl that I saw.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Good question. the "general" consensus is that they are 95-99% reliable, so for carry, stick to OEM. (I'm sure you've seen this already if you've looked on the internet, reviews, etc.).
    BUT.... I would generally feel quite comfortable carrying a 10mm that's shooting .40 or .357 Sig (based on case diameter which needs no conversion/off-centering/etc to fit/fire/eject, except of course the different chamber/neck specs). Of course, I would want to run through some ammo (say 500 FMJ, and maybe 100 SD) in my chosen conversion before I really felt comfortable with it. One more thing to consider is the slide wt and spring strength. If you leave the spring as stock, it may be very strong against .40 or .357 Sig, but if you lower it, it may slow cycling which can lead to a whole new set of *potential* problems.
    I would NOT however consider carrying a 10mm or .40 converted to 9mm. Range practice - yes! Carry - no!

Also, in competition be aware that using aftermarket barrels and conversions may put you in a class that you don't want to be in (against much better guns), depending on the sport.

MAybe just buying a .40 would fit your needs better (still have the options of .357Sig and 9mm)? The 10mm is a very cool cartridge though, just pricey

iunderpressure

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2014
    Corydon
    I would not carry with a replacement barrel. I also shoot several round of what I plan to carry through my carry gun to make sure there isn't a cycling problem.

10mm is great. Check out Double Tap ammunition. They are known for their 10mm. It's cheaper than their other loadings too.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I would not carry with a replacement barrel. I also shoot several round of what I plan to carry through my carry gun to make sure there isn't a cycling problem.

10mm is great. Check out Double Tap ammunition. They are known for their 10mm. It's cheaper than their other loadings too.
    Double Tap is known for misrepresenting their velocities in 10mm ammunition!! I feel the best full power 10mm ammo maker (and believe it or not, one of the least expensive!) is Underwood. Amazing loadings, great price, and wonderful customer service.
    Underwood Ammo - 10mm Auto

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

Nor would I, for .40sw conversion. I'd consider .357Sig as the feeding is reliable.

My LWD .40 conversion barrel runs pretty well if it's clean, but I've had far too many hang ups (FTC) to trust it for carry. The chamber is just too tight.

I've yet to find out how you can make a 9mm conversion work in a G20. mags are wrong, extractor is wrong, recoil spring is wrong. If anyone pulls it off, I'd love to see it.

btw-- any fan of Doubletap should be shooting Underwood ;)

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    i am Considering a Glock 20SF. i had a 10 mm delta long ago....... my questions are this I am considering LWD barrels and in 9mm (cheap practice and competition) 40S&W and 357 sig barrels for play and carry. are the conversions dependable ?

thanks
    Gutpile

I think mine is. I have the LW 40SW barrel for my 20SF. I even added a 22lb recoil spring/guide rod(for hotter 10mm loads). With the stock spring/guide rod I haven't had any issues. Now I only use this at the range, if you are going to carry the 20sf stick with the 10mm.

The 40SW barrel and the 22lb recoil spring is a hoot to shoot. The gun cycles but you cannot limp wrist it all, with a good hold it cycles and shoots better than my 17.

wjmcvicker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2014
    Martinez
    The unanswered/unanswerable question.

Originally Posted by aaron580

Which mag would one even use for a 9mm conversion? The 357 sig and 40 are easy…but I don't think there is a mag to support a 9mm for large frame glocks??
    The unanswered/unanswerable question.

According to Justin Hansel at LWD you use the Glock 20 magazines and an 11# recoil spring with +p ammo. I have seen another post on a forum where a man said his had no trouble cycling regular 9mm loads.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    SO we're supposed to believe 9mm will feed reliably from a 10mm mag and with a 10mm extractor?

Seems specious.

wjmcvicker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2014
    Martinez
    SO we're supposed to believe 9mm will feed reliably from a 10mm mag and with a 10mm extractor?

Seems specious.

Maybe. All we can do is go on other's accounts until we buy it and try it! I plan on getting one. Naturally it would not be ideal to use anything but a stock barrel in a defensive gun, but having conversion barrels would give you options if you ever found the need.
    The man who posted about his in the other forum claimed that the only problem he experienced with the mags was that the slide would lock open with one round left in the magazine every time. I could live with that. Hope these show up:
    http://www.use.com/images/s_5/sorted/2013_11_28_319_a3db382d9e1fd282a5f6.jpg

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/attachments/g20-target-jpg.74252/

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Seems specious.

Well, I dunno about feeding reliably since I don't have a 9mm bbl and no intentions of getting one, but it is somewhat timely as I was sorting through some range brass last night and came across a 9mm that had been shot in a .40. The mouth of the case was belled out and the primer was struck well off center (I was surprised it fired that off center). I can see the primer being struck on center with the conversion because it is held in place by the bbl. I can see the extractor not being a real issue as most Glocks will shoot ok without one. Apparently a .40 magazine will feed a 9mm: since I am curious I'm going to load one of my G20 mags with 9mm and hand cycle it to see.

As far as I am concerned, a 9mm conversion for a 10mm isn't a great idea, but apparently there's a demand.

wjmcvicker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2014
    Martinez
    Well, I dunno about feeding reliably since I don't have a 9mm bbl and no intentions of getting one, but it is somewhat timely as I was sorting through some range brass last night and came across a 9mm that had been shot in a .40. The mouth of the case was belled out and the primer was struck well off center (I was surprised it fired that off center). I can see the primer being struck on center with the conversion because it is held in place by the bbl. I can see the extractor not being a real issue as most Glocks will shoot ok without one. Apparently a .40 magazine will feed a 9mm: since I am curious I'm going to load one of my G20 mags with 9mm and hand cycle it to see.

As far as I am concerned, a 9mm conversion for a 10mm isn't a great idea, but apparently there's a demand.

Decided to to put my money where my mouth is since there is so little information about this conversion on the web. Mine should be here by the end of next week. I'll test it and post the results. Any one have any requests for the test?

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I stuck a few rounds of 9mm in a 20 mag. They did cycle and eject when hand cycled. The 9mm barely stays in the mag due to the case shape, can't see how this would be reliable in the slightest.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm interested to hear of a shooting test.

probably want to do +P or +P+ if you can to help it cycle.

Jbow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Muncie
    Done some reaserch on these two. Was planning on converting my 23 with one. Seen a lot of good stuff online about them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Seems specious.

Dunno about the 10mm, but Lone Wolf at least USED to advertise that to use a conversion barrel you needed to change to an appropriate mag. (maybe you missed the fine print, or didnt look at the product page on their website?)

In my case, my G23 with a 9mm barrel required me to get G19 mags to go with it. If you only checked places like Brownells, Midway, etc they may not list the mag requirement.

And I know its not a reliable sample size, but I ran a whole box of 9mm through my conversion barrel and not so much as a hint of a hiccup. I still probably wouldnt carry with it installed.

wjmcvicker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2014
    Martinez
    Dunno about the 10mm, but Lone Wolf at least USED to advertise that to use a conversion barrel you needed to change to an appropriate mag. (maybe you missed the fine print, or didnt look at the product page on their website?)

In my case, my G23 with a 9mm barrel required me to get G19 mags to go with it. If you only checked places like Brownells, Midway, etc they may not list the mag requirement.

And I know its not a reliable sample size, but I ran a whole box of 9mm through my conversion barrel and not so much as a hint of a hiccup. I still probably wouldnt carry with it installed.

image.jpg
    Package came in today!! Haven't fired yet, but after borrowing some 9mm from my neighbor, steel jacketed no less, I can report that 18 rounds fit in the Glock 20 OEM 15 round mags, and that with only the force of me hand cycling them, they did eject w/o any issue. I too experienced the slide locking open with still one round in the mag as I mentioned another did too. Can't wait to get to the range!

Top Bottom