• ...and so much more!
  • Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    New to long guns. Was looking at the remington 700. Was curious if that was a good firearm and what peoples experiences with them.
    As stated previously, your intentions on what you will use it for could lead to more accurate advice/suggestions.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    700s seem to respond favorable to tweaks.
    Usually shoot decent without.
    Ruger 77 can be problematic. Esp the old ones. Seen some turds.
    They sure look nice though.
    Saw a newer Hawkeye at shop.............but in .270 :(

The old Rugers, the walnut, had that reddish amber tone, aged...........they are super pretty.
    I'd like a killer figured #1 stock like that.
    My #1 is an '85 and while redpad, is brown w zippo figure. Why I got it cheap.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Aye Matees, I hope you'll be kind to this ignorant 700 owner. Is there absolutely nothing to be worried about with the older triggers and bolt group? I have an older 700 in 30-06 that I inherited. I doubt it's been fine tuned as per trigger weight. I shot it a couple times and it seemed to do fine, but I keep reading about the potential safety issues. Plus, I read about the replacement triggers having their own issues. I don't anticipate actually using the 30-06 for hunting myself, and would really like to sell it, or give it to family members who might actually use it. Can anyone shed any light on this to an ignorant Hoosier? Thanks in advance.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    700s seem to respond favorable to tweaks.
    Usually shoot decent without.
    Ruger 77 can be problematic. Esp the old ones. Seen some turds.
    They sure look nice though.
    Saw a newer Hawkeye at shop.............but in .270 :(

The old Rugers, the walnut, had that reddish amber tone, aged...........they are super pretty.
    I'd like a killer figured #1 stock like that.
    My #1 is an '85 and while redpad, is brown w zippo figure. Why I got it cheap.
    If I may ask, what issues do they generally experience? It cycles very smooth, has a crisp trigger, holds decent group.

Picked this one up from a co-worker for under. $200
    85c5e2f1d85ecddb0bcd510aec1854a0.jpg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Aye Matees, I hope you'll be kind to this ignorant 700 owner. Is there absolutely nothing to be worried about with the older triggers and bolt group? I have an older 700 in 30-06 that I inherited. I doubt it's been fine tuned as per trigger weight. I shot it a couple times and it seemed to do fine, but I keep reading about the potential safety issues. Plus, I read about the replacement triggers having their own issues. I don't anticipate actually using the 30-06 for hunting myself, and would really like to sell it, or give it to family members who might actually use it. Can anyone shed any light on this to an ignorant Hoosier? Thanks in advance.

Please reread what Hookeye and I wrote about that.

There were some lawyers and reporters that made some money on the "Remington 700 DANGER", yet nearly ALL of the incidents with the 'triggers' had some amount of doubt as to whether safety rules had been followed.

This, despite nearly every law enforcement agency AND their respective attorneys and FOP's feeling like the trigger is safe enough to cover hostages.

-Nate

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Nate, I read the whole thread, and re-read what you and Hookeye wrote. And I'm not trying to argue with you. But you and Hookeye didn't address (in this thread) the supposed recall from Remington, etc... At least not the details. So I guess I'll need to do some research. Again, I'm not arguing, but I thought there was more to it than "the 700 trigger is rock solid if you use it correctly"
    All due respect,

Please reread what Hookeye and I wrote about that.

There were some lawyers and reporters that made some money on the "Remington 700 DANGER", yet nearly ALL of the incidents with the 'triggers' had some amount of doubt as to whether safety rules had been followed.

This, despite nearly every law enforcement agency AND their respective attorneys and FOP's feeling like the trigger is safe enough to cover hostages.

-Nate

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If one watched the CNBC show you could see how it was set up to give the impression they wanted.
    Emotion over logic, spin, leading statements, editing..............less than honest across the board.
    But many hunters and shooters didn't see it (that to me is more scary than the psuedo trigger problem).

Anyway, here is Big Green's response

[video=youtube_share;YjmOSAZDpfU]https://youtu.be/YjmOSAZDpfU[/video]

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    With the popularity of tactical rifles and sniper shows.....no doubt CNBC tried to demonize bolt rigs..........and with that the most popular............the 700.
    They failed against the AR15............and they failed against the 700.

Praise the Lord.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    It is like anything else mechanical, it can't defend itself.
    I have found the main mechanical failure in motorcycles is the nut that connects the handle bars to the seat...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Again,a hunter of experience.........SWORE he didn't have his finger on my 600's trigger (when checking pull weight-known empty) and it clicked.
    I was watching and he worked the bolt with his finger on the side of the trigger.
    But he thought he had finger off the trigger, and OUT of trigger guard.
    Nope, he had it laid on side with some rearward pressure.

I was watching for the oops.

And saw it.

Wonder how many people record incidents incorrectly, or flat out lie about stuff.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    As per the "Remington 700 Recalled Triggers"

I have one Rem 700 to build on my list. It's been in my safe for years after I bought it brand spankin new. Is it on the recall list? I don't know.... maybe? I don't care. I'm not planning to shoot it until it's done being built. The trigger is one of many things that is being replaced.

Who keeps their stock triggers anyway. :dunno:
    Do people actually buy stock 700s and shoot them as they are?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Alas, my next bolt rig proly a Mk V in .257, just because I want one.

It's OK to be picky, but sometimes things are "good enough".

My 700 wears the X mark Pro. Its OK for as much as it gets used.
    The factiory stock has been modified slightly, works great.
    But I might go lighter, and stiffer and get the HS.
    More money in a gun that spends most of its time in the safe.

Last coyote hunt I did, I took my Ruger #1 RSI.
    Of course no coyotes showed.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Who keeps their stock triggers anyway. :dunno:
    Do people actually buy stock 700s and shoot them as they are?

Yeah, yeah they do.

Dead Duck, this isn't all directed at you. Fyi.

I am trying to think of any other way I can address this.. uh...

Facts:

MOST LE "long rifles" are 700's of one iteration or another. Same for US Military platforms.

MOST OF THOSE are using stock triggers, or stock + smithing.

NEARLY NONE of those Snipers and/or Marksmen are good enough to outshoot their trigger at 3.5 pounds, which I would estimate is about a safe FLOOR for that kind of work.

Granted, not all of those people are that great on a rifle. Seen it. But as an average, it's fair to say they know some things about steel.

With the exception of a few esoteric sports I participate in for the masochism of it, and maybe one or two more I'm sure I'll try later, I'm not 100% certain I can outshoot my best Remington Walker. It's setup exactly the way hookeye and I have been preaching now for 4 pages...

I'm not saying that anybody should NOT go get a TimnJewellTubbBixXtreme aftermarket trigger. I have some.

All I'm saying is that the Walker is as safe as any, as reliable as all (and more than some), and that 99% of shooters on the planet cannot outshoot one. I'm also saying that the same 99% have no business working on a Walker, MUCH LESS anything more complex like the above mentioned units.

To anybody watching: are you pretty sure you're in that 1%?

Hey. If it makes you happy, call Larry Scott and get a Jewell HVR in the mail to you rtfn. It won't ever have been a bad choice.

Either way though...keep your GD boogerhook off the bangswitch until it needs to be there..NEVER trust a mechanical safety...and to clear a Remington 700, you MUST MUST MUST complete a visual and tactile chamber check. I ****younot, you literally need to stuff your pinky in the chamber, or be able to see light coming through the barrel. The lug recess is deep enough that in low light, (like your huntin' rig's domelight at 9pm) a round can be in the chamber and not be visually indicated well enough to honestly say the rifle is safe.

If you don't follow those rules, you're asking for CNBC to cover you next. Because of the size holes most of these CF rifles blow in meat at short range, it is pretty unlikely you're gonna be in mint condition to watch that broadcast.

:blahblah::horse:

Good lord. I have to be done talking about this.

-Nate

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Yeah, yeah they do.

Dead Duck, this isn't all directed at you. Fyi.

I am trying to think of any other way I can address this.. uh...

Facts:

MOST LE "long rifles" are 700's of one iteration or another. Same for US Military platforms.

MOST OF THOSE are using stock triggers, or stock + smithing.

NEARLY NONE of those Snipers and/or Marksmen are good enough to outshoot their trigger at 3.5 pounds, which I would estimate is about a safe FLOOR for that kind of work.

Granted, not all of those people are that great on a rifle. Seen it. But as an average, it's fair to say they know some things about steel.

With the exception of a few esoteric sports I participate in for the masochism of it, and maybe one or two more I'm sure I'll try later, I'm not 100% certain I can outshoot my best Remington Walker. It's setup exactly the way hookeye and I have been preaching now for 4 pages...

I'm not saying that anybody should NOT go get a TimnJewellTubbBixXtreme aftermarket trigger. I have some.

All I'm saying is that the Walker is as safe as any, as reliable as all (and more than some), and that 99% of shooters on the planet cannot outshoot one. I'm also saying that the same 99% have no business working on a Walker, MUCH LESS anything more complex like the above mentioned units.

To anybody watching: are you pretty sure you're in that 1%?

Hey. If it makes you happy, call Larry Scott and get a Jewell HVR in the mail to you rtfn. It won't ever have been a bad choice.

Either way though...keep your GD boogerhook off the bangswitch until it needs to be there..NEVER trust a mechanical safety...and to clear a Remington 700, you MUST MUST MUST complete a visual and tactile chamber check. I ****younot, you literally need to stuff your pinky in the chamber, or be able to see light coming through the barrel. The lug recess is deep enough that in low light, (like your huntin' rig's domelight at 9pm) a round can be in the chamber and not be visually indicated well enough to honestly say the rifle is safe.

If you don't follow those rules, you're asking for CNBC to cover you next. Because of the size holes most of these CF rifles blow in meat at short range, it is pretty unlikely you're gonna be in mint condition to watch that broadcast.

:blahblah::horse:

Good lord. I have to be done talking about this.

-Nate
    I am now smarter for reading that. Thank you. Honestly. But seriously...no touchy no bangy.

Sidenote: is it ok to giggity when I do the stinkypinkychambercheck maneuver?

Top Bottom