Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I do.
    Factory trigger w spring swap.

Bet most hunters do too.

Well.... I learned something.
    I've just never kept any stock for too long.

Same thing with buying a new (back in the 80s) Colt 1911s.
    First thing I do is take them to my smith for..... everything. I did buy a Colt Officers once and shoot it stock. Some people told me the brass tends to eject all over the place and I wanted to see it for myself. I took it to a local field and shot a few standing next to my car at the front bumper. It spit a few shells on my hood so I went to the right of the car. Wasn't bad but a couple went wild and hit my car again. One chipped the paint. So I walked away from anything. First shot the shell came back and nailed me in the forehead.

I packed it up and went straight the my smith. :(

Those people were right.

I've always been one of those "always looking for a way to improve it" kinda people. And no my name is not Buba.

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I have a variety of rifles, and I treat them all with respect, but I don't shoot or know a lot about the 700; hence my question, since I had heard about the issue/non-issue. I prefer my Winchester 670 in 243, or my CZ's in 22 Hornet and .204. The 670 could use some trigger help, but the CZ's are good to go out of the box with a little tuning. Thanks for the responses, gentlemen. I agree with safe handling methods outlined above.

Unfortunately people want a rifle designed for folks that treat it with all the respect of a tennis racket.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The 700 is the most popular bolt action centerfire rifle in the USA. That probably means the world, too. I suspect this isn't by accident. Every custom gun builder learns 700s first because that's what people largely expect a custom bolt gun to be.

Big Green these days is not the company that built the reputation they are now destroying, IMO. With so many compelling options from rivals, my personal search for a bolt gun has not included a single Rem 700 variant.

Instead, I'm looking at Savage, Howa, Bargara, and Tikka.

I wanted the CZ 527 but had to rule it out because 1) the factory twist is too slow in .243 and 2) I don't think I can replace the barrel myself.

Last edited:

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    The 700 is the most popular bolt action centerfire rifle in the USA. That probably means the world, too. I suspect this isn't by accident. Every custom gun builder learns 700s first because that's what people largely expect a custom bolt gun to be.

Big Green these days is not the company that built the reputation they are now destroying, IMO. With so many compelling options from rivals, my personal search for a bolt gun has not included a single Rem 700 variant.

Instead, I'm looking at Savage, Howa, Bargara, and Tikka.

I wanted the CZ 527 but had to rule it out because 1) the factory twist is too slow in .243 and 2) I don't think I can replace the barrel myself.

The CZ in the .243 is the 550 model. I have a full-stock that I've never shot yet. I have several of the 527 in 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet, .222 and .204, and for me, they're perfect. The set trigger is as nice as I'll ever need, and adjustable if you want to go really light. The non-set mode is adjustable too, but I havn't touched any of mine. I don't tinker to much with my CF rifles, so changing a barrel is not a problem for me.

Also, I get that the Rem 700 is one of the most popular rifles on the planet, I just never had much experience with them. The one I have is 30-06, and I just don't shoot 30-06. I'm mostly rimfire and varmint shooting, only out to 100-250 yards normally, hence the Hornets. The CZ Hornets are very accurate in my experience.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The CZ in the .243 is the 550 model. I have a full-stock that I've never shot yet. I have several of the 527 in 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet, .222 and .204, and for me, they're perfect. The set trigger is as nice as I'll ever need, and adjustable if you want to go really light. The non-set mode is adjustable too, but I havn't touched any of mine. I don't tinker to much with my CF rifles, so changing a barrel is not a problem for me.

You are correct that previous CZ model in .243 was the 550 but the current CZ in .243 is the Model 557 which is a cheaper, push feed model lacking the single set trigger option. CZ has apparently discontinued the 550 models except for magnum and Safari models.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Well.... I learned something.
    I've just never kept any stock for too long.

Same thing with buying a new (back in the 80s) Colt 1911s.
    First thing I do is take them to my smith for..... everything. I did buy a Colt Officers once and shoot it stock. Some people told me the brass tends to eject all over the place and I wanted to see it for myself. I took it to a local field and shot a few standing next to my car at the front bumper. It spit a few shells on my hood so I went to the right of the car. Wasn't bad but a couple went wild and hit my car again. One chipped the paint. So I walked away from anything. First shot the shell came back and nailed me in the forehead.

I packed it up and went straight the my smith. :(

Those people were right.

I've always been one of those "always looking for a way to improve it" kinda people. And no my name is not Buba.

My Combat Commander has a nice trigger...........why I bought it :)
    Wears Pachmayr arched MS housing and Hogue slabs, Wilson guiderod.
    Minor mods IMHO.

Nothing else needed touched.

My dad's GC was an absolute turd, always breaking down. He named it the POS.

My Ruger #1 is stock, my CZ 455 is too. My 1022 is half pimped.
    I did swap out my 700 firing pin assembly to a Gre-Tan.
    Just to ditch that %$#@ locking shroud.

It lightened my already light trigger. So I added a little weight back.
    Coyote rig or backup deer rifle for crappy weather.
    It didn't trip in testing but still seemed too light with the FP assembly swap.

Like a light trigger on a rifle just fine, but that one made me nervous.
    I'm gonna be no bipod shooting under 300 yards.

On 572, 760 and 742, plus 870 deer, I did change or mod sear spring. Helped. Still safe too.
    But nothing like a properly set 700 LOL

Last edited:

Ozo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2018
    Nashville
    A good friend of mine works for KBR (overseas) as a supply train sniper, to guard the shipments.
    Although he has custom work done [by himself and gunsmith], his base rifle of choice is a Remington
    700BDL, and has been for several decades. [his choice is 30-06]
    Not sure currently, but the U.S. military also chose the Remmy 700 for their preferred sniper rifle since 1962.
    Many other rifles have been born since the Remington 700, some very good ones, but the 700 series has an
    awesome track record that stands tall and true......for over 50yrs. Surely nothing to sneeze at.
    Somewhere I have a decent article about the 700's that has a fairly clear description of the ADL-BDL-CDL models.
    I will go fetch it shortly.
    I have several BDL's in different calibers, none will ever be for sale, especially the one from my friend.

Ozo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2018
    Nashville
    No love for the Ruger m77? Have one in 30-06 I intend on hunting with this year.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

One of my top favorites, the M77, and the mauser-style bolt.
    Designed by Jim Sullivan, during his short time at Ruger.
    The beautiful wood/blued M77 in 7mm RemMag was my preferred elk rifle for years,
    topped with Leupold glass.
    My 'most fun' companion is a SS/synth M77/357, that is constantly within my reach these days.
    We go for walks around the property almost daily.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Saw a decent M77 in 7 mag, but it was the non integral scope ring type.
    And I haven't seen a flat bolt for over a decade (aint been searching either, just saying).
    The 700 BDL stock in magnum (old days) had a good pad and fit me great.
    Other rigs seem to bop me harder.

I'd like a stainless ADL in .25-06 in modified black Tupperware (old style stock) or drop it in an HS.
    Think that'd be a dandy deer rifle, for here or out west.
    Alas, think I'd have to get a BDL and swap it over to ADL.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Shame to admit, I haven't hunted geese for almost 20 years.
    I'd still like a minty 1100 Magnum in walnut, just for that. 30" full w Bismuth #2's.
    Have a beater all around 26" Remchoke steel shot bbl on my 1100 SP wearing synth.
    Like a 30" bbl better, and the wood w old style recoil pad I think more comfy.
    Synth def lighter. Mines the older synth, doesn't have the R3 pad. I don't like that squishy thing.
    Might work better but feels funky to me.

The 30" magnum walnut was just perfect for 50 yard honkers.

One thing, after lugging the 1100SP turkey hunting down south, I switched to my 870 supermag turkey gun.
    Much less of a chore up and down the hills.

Fossil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2015
    Fishers
    Remington 700

After you compare the smoothness of the bolt on the Remington to the bolt on a Tikka, you'll know that Tikka is the way to go.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Bolt smoothness is not the reason to choose an action.

It might be ONE, to certain parties and for certain purposes, but it's far from the only concern.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    You are correct that previous CZ model in .243 was the 550 but the current CZ in .243 is the Model 557 which is a cheaper, push feed model lacking the single set trigger option. CZ has apparently discontinued the 550 models except for magnum and Safari models.

Thanks for covering my mistake.

I was actually looking at the 557 Varmint in .243. Twist still too slow, barrel still not user replacement friendly.

Top Bottom