• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Most Ar's shoot pretty nice. I had a special AR built in 30WSM for long distance competition. They guaranteed it to shoot 7" at 1000 yards. I bought it to hunt with. But after I had it built I forgot to ask how much it would weigh. It was almost 26 pounds. Way to much to drag around while hunting.
    the main thing is to find the bullet that an AR shoots really well. And most will shoot diffrenet bullets better than others.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Well i was reading in the page you sent me and it said my 1:7 twist rate would take up to 90gr bullets? I dont plan on putting them through that but 69gr or 80gr would work well wouldnt they?

As far as glass goes....Im gonna try what we have already and see how it works. When i get some more cash i may upgrade to a nikon or vortex. Im a big fan of vortex lately.

So man decisons....so little money :(

Yea thats correct a 1:7 is good up to 90gr bullet. It should do good for the 80gr bullets, I dont know how well it would stabalize the 69gr but should do ok. I went with a 1:8 barrel as kind of median between 1:7 and 1:9. Just try it and see how it does.

And yes way to many decisons, it took me about 8 months to figure out what all I wanted to use on my build:D

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    One of those days Ill get my stuff ordered and we'll see how far I can get it to go. After reading some i think im gonna try and save up for a 20" maybe even a 24". And as far as rounds go i think im going with 70 to 80 grain match bullets with Varget.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    One of those days Ill get my stuff ordered and we'll see how far I can get it to go. After reading some i think im gonna try and save up for a 20" maybe even a 24". And as far as rounds go i think im going with 70 to 80 grain match bullets with Varget.

I have a 24" barrel on mine( just be warned its HEAVY, mine is strckly a bench gun so it dont matter). I use the 69gr Sierra Matchking with 25gr of Varget powder. Real nice results out of that load.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    I started out planning on replacing the barrel, but the more I thought about, I decided to build a whole new rifle. I would suggest at least getting a new upper. It isn't going to be cheaper, but you will have a second upper. Almost like having two guns.....different uppers for different purposes.
    I will add that you should get a good quality barrel. Do the research and figure out what you want out of a barrel and go from there.

I would suggest that you check out IMR 8208XBR for a powder as well. I'm getting great results out of that powder and 77g SMK's. For me, better groups than Varget.

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    Take your barrel off and add a 20" Wilson air gauged barrel and a free float rail and you are in business. WAG barrels are guaranteed 1 hole accuracy. You'll need a descent scope as well. Im a leupold fan myself.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Take your barrel off and add a 20" Wilson air gauged barrel and a free float rail and you are in business. WAG barrels are guaranteed 1 hole accuracy. You'll need a descent scope as well. Im a leupold fan myself.

Isn't that basically what the Rock River Varmint A4 uses? I've been drouling over those for a long time.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN

And the price on one of this is? :dunno:

I am on a budget you have to remember. It may be nice having all that stuff but if i can get a MOA group at 100 ill be happy

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    And the price on one of this is? :dunno:

I am on a budget you have to remember. It may be nice having all that stuff but if i can get a MOA group at 100 ill be happy

I would try some match grade ammo in the gun with its current configuration and just see how it does, just may surprise you.

Do you have a heavy barrel on your AR or just a regular barrel? I dont think I have herd you say, or I just read over it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Then you should see a noticable improvement right off the bat. Try some black hills 69gr ammo. I think you'll see your groups size go down quite a bit from that alone.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I think im gonna leave my gun as it is...and a free float rail and bipod are on my christmas list!!

Ill order some black hills ammo to test out. whats another good ammo?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If you already have a heavy barrel, you should be able to get MOA or better at 100yrds with good ammo, no problem. Put free float rail an your bipod I think you'll have a nice little set-up, for not alot of money. But I think you will be happy with the results the way it is.

If AIM has any left I had real nice results from the 69gr Privi Match

Top Bottom