• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lemmitt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    New Albany
    I am looking to pick up a good range gun that will shoot well out to 500 yards, but also be a good gun for big game hunts. Not looking for all the bells and whistles, looking more for opinions on what caliber or gun you would suggest and why. Thanks in advance for your advice, you guys rule:ingo:

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I did lot's of reserch on this topic several years ago anf ended up choosing a Ruger M77 in 300 Win Mag....one of the best rifle decisons I made....it will match the requirements you outlined to a T:rockwoot:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    please define big game. Some folks consider whitetail outside of indiana big game wich would warrant a completly diffrent caliber than brown bear in alaska,

Mad Dog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    White Co.
    please define big game. Some folks consider whitetail outside of indiana big game wich would warrant a completly diffrent caliber than brown bear in alaska,

Agree completely. If you are looking at deer, antelope, varmints, etc., then a 25-06, 270, and judicious handloading will be fine. But if elk, moose, sheep, big bears are on the menu, then you need to step up some. ie: various 300 mags, 338, etc.

Mad Dog

Lemmitt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    New Albany
    I'm looking at moose, elk and bear...I have been researching for a while, but don't have the chance to shoot all the different rifles to compare

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    Don't forget to add the cost to feed it. Just went with a Surgeon in .308, even then it's roughly $1.80-2.15 per round. But nothing beats being able to reach out to 6-800 meters.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    Did a lot of hunting with a 700 bdl in 7mm magnum and was real happy with the results. I tried 30-06 and 308 but loved the flat shooting 7 mm mag.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Don't forget to add the cost to feed it. Just went with a Surgeon in .308, even then it's roughly $1.80-2.15 per round. But nothing beats being able to reach out to 6-800 meters.

Your paying 1.80-2.15 for 308 ammo to shoot 6-800 meters :dunno:

OP there are a ton of calibers that will fit your bill. If it were me I would pick somthing in the 30 caliber options. Ballistacially the 300 rum is probably top of the heap, but ammos not cheap (1.50-2.00 a shot), and its not easy on the sholder

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My vote is that the 30-06 is a pretty good choice. Easier to find and cheaper to shoot than many of the more specialized calibers. It does give up a little to some of the magnums. That did not stop us from winning wars with it, as well as a hundred years of successful hunting.

I only owned one propietory caliber, the .340 Weatherby, it was a nice rifle, but costly. For my money, I will stay with calibers that are more widely produced.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If one is going to chase bear, moose and elk, then they can most probably afford to buy multiple rifles.
    But like Leo said, the .30-06 seems to be a good all arounder.
    But it's boring.
    So get a group of rifles based on that case!

Get a 700 classic in .35-06 for big stuff (250 grainers)
    A 7600 .30-06 for general deer hunting, backup rig for the above
    and a 700 Sendero in .25-06 for backup to the above and also varminting

:)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I really liked my 7mm Rem mag 700 BDL.
    Shot good, wasn't the kicker I had read about.
    Got it from a bud, 160 grainers as hot as we could push 'em, 1.20" 5 shot groups one after another @ 100 yds.
    Groups didn't shift POI either.
    Plenty good enough for me.

But like an idiot I sold it to get a .300, and then sold that to get something bigger, and ended up going out for elk in MZ........and only made one trip.

My sis lives in CO now.

I'd gladly plow an elk with a .30-06 in her back yard.

Yup, only been once, will get out again one of these days. I think the gun/cartridge fun stuff to talk about, but really not as important as being in shape, having cooperative weather, the funds to make more than one trip, and of course, being where the critters are.

Lemmitt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    New Albany
    Would it work? Yes

Is it the best? I dont think so, but its in the argument.

Are we talking black bear? or brown bear?

Honestly I really want the option for whatever I want, idk if that helps. I am looking to buy one gun so ill have a good fun range gun but in the next year or two ill have a good gun to take on a trip to moose, elk or any other kind of bear. I don't have anything particular in mind hunt wise, but want something that can do the job

Top Bottom