• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    So this is open to anyone? And is it prone, 3 position or what?

Nate and Sloughfoot have given you some good advice here. I'm not 100% sure all of your questions have been answered though....what exactly are you wanting to shoot? Did I read right that you've got a scoped 6.5 Creedmoor?

With the electronic targets, if you've got a good 100 yard zero, you're good to go at any yardline. I'd suggest starting off with a mid-range match if possible vs. straight into 1000 yards, but it can be done. The e-targets give you immediate feedback and adjustments needed to get to the center. Even if you're "off paper" it'll give you a general direction. If it comes to it, someone can watch your trace in a spotting scope and get you lined out in short order. It ain't rocket surgery (to get on paper anyway).

There's really 3 versions of shooting that CIHPRS does at Atterbury (with some different flavors within the 3 main types).....F-class, prone/sling, and across-the-course.

F-class open (which I believe is what you're looking at....if you're not shooting a .308 or .223, you're in open) is usually shot from a front rest (bipod is fine too) and rear bag. You'll shoot 20 rnds per relay at midrange distances (300, 500, or 600 yards), or at long range (typically 1000 yards....some matches at 800 and 900). The x-ring is 1/2 MOA, 10 ring is 1 moa, 9 ring 2 moa, etc. Decent rifles can hold the 10 ring for 20 shots. Competitive rifles can hold the x-ring. The real competition comes after you've got a rifle and ammo capable of shooting perfect scores....almost everything on the line is capable of that. What separates the winners from the also-rans is the ability to read and adjust for the wind. That 1/2 moa x-ring is very unforgiving.

Like Nate said, some of the F-class guys in the area are sure 'nuff top dogs in the sport. They're all helpful if you bring a good attitude.

Sling/Prone is similar to F-class, but shot with only a sling (no rest....rifle isn't touching the ground). Some flavors of sling are shot with scopes, some with iron sights. Some with basically any caliber, some with .308 or .223 only. The targets are different than F-class (1 moa x-ring, 2 moa 10 ring). There's a bit more emphasis on mechanical shooting skill (pointing the rifle at the x-ring) than in F-class, but it's still wind reading/compensating that decides the winners. After you've shot a little bit with a sling, you can hold 2 MOA. After you've shot a lot with a sling, you can hold 1 MOA. There's a couple of prone/sling shooters at Atterbury that could put up decent scores on an F-class target.

Across the course is what a lot of people think of when they hear "high power rifle competition." Service Rifle is shot with what's supposed to represent an M-16 that the military uses, and uses .223/5.56. Match rifle is more open, and you'll see highly modified AR-15/AR-10 platforms, along with some purpose-built bolt actions. A mag-fed bolt action would fall into the match rifle category.

You shoot 200 yards offhand slow fire (20 rounds in 20 mins), 200 yards sitting rapid-fire (2 strings of 10 rounds in 60 seconds), 300 yards prone rapid-fire (2 strings of 10 rounds in 70 seconds), and 500 or 600 yards prone slow fire (20 rounds in 20 mins). Shooting good aggregate scores requires good scores in 3 positions, not just prone. There's a lot of people that can shoot knots prone, but are barely on paper offhand. There's some shooters that will drop more points in slow prone than on their feet. There's some shooters that won't drop a point all day at any yardline.

It got it's hooks in me pretty deep this year, and I had a bit of success with it. I started out shooting Appleseeds/Revere's Riders a few years ago, and jumped into matches this year with both feet. Ended up collecting 22/30 points for the distinguished badge, winning a couple of local matches, and earning my "master" classification card. That being said, I'm just scratching the surface. The wind picks up to 15-20 mph, and I want to curl up in the fetal position. I go from shooting low 190's offhand to low 180's. Sitting got worse as my year went on. The more you shoot, the more you realize that there's SO much to learn and SO much work to put in as you progress though the classifications and start looking harder at the upper level scores. Shooting a good score happens from time to time. Shooting consistent good scores is a different animal. Raising your average score closer to 800 comes with more and more experience, effort, practice, dry-fire, and mental preparation. Each one is extremely rewarding, however.

Let us know if you've got more questions....the only way to find out is to ask, and to go out and do it. It's not nearly as intimidating as it first appears, that's for sure.

bowler299

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2017
    elwood
    Nate and Sloughfoot have given you some good advice here. I'm not 100% sure all of your questions have been answered though....what exactly are you wanting to shoot? Did I read right that you've got a scoped 6.5 Creedmoor?

With the electronic targets, if you've got a good 100 yard zero, you're good to go at any yardline. I'd suggest starting off with a mid-range match if possible vs. straight into 1000 yards, but it can be done. The e-targets give you immediate feedback and adjustments needed to get to the center. Even if you're "off paper" it'll give you a general direction. If it comes to it, someone can watch your trace in a spotting scope and get you lined out in short order. It ain't rocket surgery (to get on paper anyway).

There's really 3 versions of shooting that CIHPRS does at Atterbury (with some different flavors within the 3 main types).....F-class, prone/sling, and across-the-course.

F-class open (which I believe is what you're looking at....if you're not shooting a .308 or .223, you're in open) is usually shot from a front rest (bipod is fine too) and rear bag. You'll shoot 20 rnds per relay at midrange distances (300, 500, or 600 yards), or at long range (typically 1000 yards....some matches at 800 and 900). The x-ring is 1/2 MOA, 10 ring is 1 moa, 9 ring 2 moa, etc. Decent rifles can hold the 10 ring for 20 shots. Competitive rifles can hold the x-ring. The real competition comes after you've got a rifle and ammo capable of shooting perfect scores....almost everything on the line is capable of that. What separates the winners from the also-rans is the ability to read and adjust for the wind. That 1/2 moa x-ring is very unforgiving.

Like Nate said, some of the F-class guys in the area are sure 'nuff top dogs in the sport. They're all helpful if you bring a good attitude.

Sling/Prone is similar to F-class, but shot with only a sling (no rest....rifle isn't touching the ground). Some flavors of sling are shot with scopes, some with iron sights. Some with basically any caliber, some with .308 or .223 only. The targets are different than F-class (1 moa x-ring, 2 moa 10 ring). There's a bit more emphasis on mechanical shooting skill (pointing the rifle at the x-ring) than in F-class, but it's still wind reading/compensating that decides the winners. After you've shot a little bit with a sling, you can hold 2 MOA. After you've shot a lot with a sling, you can hold 1 MOA. There's a couple of prone/sling shooters at Atterbury that could put up decent scores on an F-class target.

Across the course is what a lot of people think of when they hear "high power rifle competition." Service Rifle is shot with what's supposed to represent an M-16 that the military uses, and uses .223/5.56. Match rifle is more open, and you'll see highly modified AR-15/AR-10 platforms, along with some purpose-built bolt actions. A mag-fed bolt action would fall into the match rifle category.

You shoot 200 yards offhand slow fire (20 rounds in 20 mins), 200 yards sitting rapid-fire (2 strings of 10 rounds in 60 seconds), 300 yards prone rapid-fire (2 strings of 10 rounds in 70 seconds), and 500 or 600 yards prone slow fire (20 rounds in 20 mins). Shooting good aggregate scores requires good scores in 3 positions, not just prone. There's a lot of people that can shoot knots prone, but are barely on paper offhand. There's some shooters that will drop more points in slow prone than on their feet. There's some shooters that won't drop a point all day at any yardline.

It got it's hooks in me pretty deep this year, and I had a bit of success with it. I started out shooting Appleseeds/Revere's Riders a few years ago, and jumped into matches this year with both feet. Ended up collecting 22/30 points for the distinguished badge, winning a couple of local matches, and earning my "master" classification card. That being said, I'm just scratching the surface. The wind picks up to 15-20 mph, and I want to curl up in the fetal position. I go from shooting low 190's offhand to low 180's. Sitting got worse as my year went on. The more you shoot, the more you realize that there's SO much to learn and SO much work to put in as you progress though the classifications and start looking harder at the upper level scores. Shooting a good score happens from time to time. Shooting consistent good scores is a different animal. Raising your average score closer to 800 comes with more and more experience, effort, practice, dry-fire, and mental preparation. Each one is extremely rewarding, however.

Let us know if you've got more questions....the only way to find out is to ask, and to go out and do it. It's not nearly as intimidating as it first appears, that's for sure.
    Thanks. Everyone has been great! Yes I intend to use my scoped 6.5 CM. Intend to try mid range"F" class 3/10/18. I have 2 major concerns. One being protocol. If I go bowling, regionally or nationally, I know the tournament process. So with no opportunity to watch a match first would like to form an image of how to go about this. Another thing that I think about is glare on tablets. Is the image bright enough or is some form of shroud needed?

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    have no fear. These events are very low pressure. I highly recommend you arrive and shoot instead of arrive and watch.
    a dark shroud can be useful but not nessecary. a spare battery for it may be needed depending on how fast your tablet chews your battery up.
    Bring 100 rounds of ammo, a shooting mat, a rear bag, and your rifle with a bipod. Never hurts to have tools, spares, & extras.
    These guys have never turned down the opportunity to help someone.
    we look forward to seeing you there.

BTW Great post JRH^^

Last edited:

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Sorry I'm just now seeing this. I've been traveling for work.

Like others have said, just come out and shoot. Theyll squad you with someone who's shot there before, and they'll show you the ropes. Seriously, just sign up, bring your stuff, and I guarantee you'll be fine. Tell Shawn you're new.

Bring any smart phone, tablet, or laptop. You'll be fine. Having a spare battery or way to charge might be helpful, but you'll probably be ok.

Top Bottom