• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Does anybody know of any good DVD's or website that focus just on long range shooting? Something that would cover up to if not over 1000 yards. I plan on building my gun here in the next few months so i want to start reading on what all goes into it and start researching and learning as much as i can. Any information for spotters would be appreciated also.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I plan on building my gun here in the next few months so i want to start reading on what all goes into it and start researching and learning as much as i can. Any information for spotters would be appreciated also.

Find a long distance range and start talking to the guys who are shooting there. Look at their equipment and ask them why they chose a particular rifle, stock or scope. Most guys will let you sit behind the rifle, look through the scope and get a feel of the stock. Explore your options before you start the build. For distances out to 1,000 yards, a .243, 6mm or .308 would be fine. Beyond that, the rounds and equipment start to get more expensive and places to shoot beyond 1,000 yards are hard to come by in this state.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN

Thanks for the links! Now i have some reading material

you might try "Snipers Hide" web site/forum...
    Sniper Central is a good websight also.

I will be looking into those sites tomorow for sure!

Find a long distance range and start talking to the guys who are shooting there. Look at their equipment and ask them why they chose a particular rifle, stock or scope. Most guys will let you sit behind the rifle, look through the scope and get a feel of the stock. Explore your options before you start the build. For distances out to 1,000 yards, a .243, 6mm or .308 would be fine. Beyond that, the rounds and equipment start to get more expensive and places to shoot beyond 1,000 yards are hard to come by in this state.

Right now i have my mind set on 308 just because of ammo availability and id want to reload for that. I do plan on buying a can when i purchase my rifle so i want to make up some nice subsonic rounds of my own for it. Thats another thing i wanna start researching also. My family has a decent sized farm and we have a 1000 yard range i might be able to push it to 1200 maybe... but it has a nice big dirt backstop and plenty of empty woods behind it. So thats as far as id want to take my shooting. If i can do that ill be happy.

Please tell me that is out right now!

dennymac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    La Grange, KY
    If you want real Long Range Shooting Information, come out to some of our Long Range Practice Days, and then attend a few of our Long Range Matches. Actually, our LR matches are Mid Range matches. We have a 500 yard range at the Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club, and we use it. The first Saturday of each month, March through December, we hold a 500 yard practice day. This is the first year and there is no charge. You do not have to be a club member to attend, or to shoot in our matches. We can help you get on target and stay on target. We run it in a match format. We form squads and half of the folks go to the pits and half remain on the line to fire. After a predetermined amount of time they trade places. It is good fun, good entertainment, and good information. Real life happening, while you wait. Contact me for more information. DennyMac aguy@dennymac.com

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    If you want real Long Range Shooting Information, come out to some of our Long Range Practice Days, and then attend a few of our Long Range Matches. Actually, our LR matches are Mid Range matches. We have a 500 yard range at the Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club, and we use it. The first Saturday of each month, March through December, we hold a 500 yard practice day. This is the first year and there is no charge. You do not have to be a club member to attend, or to shoot in our matches. We can help you get on target and stay on target. We run it in a match format. We form squads and half of the folks go to the pits and half remain on the line to fire. After a predetermined amount of time they trade places. It is good fun, good entertainment, and good information. Real life happening, while you wait. Contact me for more information. DennyMac aguy@dennymac.com

Sounds interesting. Im definetly gonna look into it

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Good thread forming here.

+1 on Snipershide. I may look into that Southern IN idea. I'm from the Indy area. I tend to go up to Bass & Bucks when I can to work on my skills (newbie) and try to learn. Not many to assist when I go. The Southern club idea sounds great. I will try to make it.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Good thread forming here.

+1 on Snipershide. I may look into that Southern IN idea. I'm from the Indy area. I tend to go up to Bass & Bucks when I can to work on my skills (newbie) and try to learn. Not many to assist when I go. The Southern club idea sounds great. I will try to make it.

I just moved down to Indy a month ago but my house where i grew up is about 10min from Bass and Bucks. Ive never been shooting there before lol. Picked up some reloading supplies...but never shot there

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I like B&B. I tend to go on weekdays when it is not busy. Nice folks in the store, they pretty well leave you alone to shoot. $15 for a day is cheap, (well add gas mileage to the cost)

I've met an older guy named Ray that is real nice. Good shooter as well. He's been helpful to me. He's about the only regular I've seen.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I currently dont have a longrange bolt action right now, My last AR I built kind of took its place. But im looking to get back into a Savage Model 10 next summer(If I could stop buying other guns I find).

PrecisionAR.jpg

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Anybody want to show your long range setup? I can use all the ideas i can get. And any tips are always helpful also.

Here's the .308 I built last year.

700after.jpg

I started with a 700 SPS Varmint with the 26" heavy barrel. I pulled the factory stock and installed the Accuracy International 1.5 stock. The base is a 20 MOA NightForce direct mount base and the scope is an 8 X 32 NightForce NSX with the MilDot reticle. In this photo I had a Harris bi-pod but since then I have added the Atlas bi-pod.

The barrel and action are still factory original. When I replace the barrel in a year or two, I'll have the bolt and action trued up. The biggest improvement in accuracy resulted from replacing the factory trigger with a Jewell 1 1/2 ounce to 3 lb. trigger. The trigger came preset to 1 lb. and that's where I left it. Here's a photo of a 5 shot group at 500 yards taken this summer:

onethirdmoa.jpg

The group measures 1.496" or .33 MOA. My best 5 shot group at 1,000 yards is 4.25", but I'm still working on that.

BTW, I'm shooting 168 gr A-Max bullets with Varget powder, FGMM primers and Prvi Partizan brass.

Top Bottom