indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    WTF is that!?

Turner, you should take a minute to appreciate 'that' is the State of the Art in NRA Highpower Long Range.

Litlratt drops rounds into a 10" circle from 1000 yds with that rig. Not from a bench, not from a rest, but prone with a sling.

Oh, and it's done with iron sights.....

Just sayin'.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Yea money is definetly the big deciding factor for me also. But ive learned that you definetly wanna pay for the good stuff especially if your gonna go out to 1000 yards. So i gotta buy it a piece at a time and build up!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Planning a long range precision rifle myself. I'm going with a Savage in 338 Win Mag. Upgrades and additions will be made as time and money(especially money) allow.

its not a bad thing to buy stuff as you can afford it. whats bad is to buy stuff you will have to upgrade. thats where you lose all your money. just make sure to buy what you want the first time and it will save you money and headache

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    What does a rig like that cost Litlratt.
    Difficult to say now as it was built a few years ago.
    Rem 700 action trued and glued by Bill Wylde. He also put the custom bolt handle on it. He also fabbed the 11 degree cant sight base that sits on the rail (no longer on the rifle)
    30" Krieger barrel chambered and installed by Bill Wylde.
    Anschutz trigger with Briley hanger.
    Tubb pistol grip replaced with a Magpul MIAD.
    Charland rear stock assembly.
    Warner rear sight with a Gehman 530n aperture on a Lipski base.
    Madesha front sight base with RPA front sight and Gehman adjustable aperture.
    Leupold QD rings.
    Leupold 8.5X25 scope was replaced with a Nightforce 5.5X22.
    MAK tubegun kit.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I have a questions about mils.... What exactly are they? Do they have a specific size? The scope im looking at is FFP so the mil will always be the same no matter what magnifcation. But im still not sure what the exact measurement of a mil is. Maybe im overthinking this

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have a questions about mils.... What exactly are they? Do they have a specific size? The scope im looking at is FFP so the mil will always be the same no matter what magnifcation. But im still not sure what the exact measurement of a mil is. Maybe im overthinking this

there is always a big debate of whats better mils or moa. and the bottom line is it doesn't matter. they are both units of measurement. moa is 1.047 inches at 100 yds (shooters moa is 1 inch at 100 yds) a mill is 3.6 inches at 100 yds. each will be used to determine range of a known size traget and it will be used for corrections. for me its easier mathmatically to use moa. i can use mills but i have to think about it a little longer. on a ffp scope no matter what the power setting at 1000 yds if you have 1 shooters moa hash marks the distance between will be 10 inches. if you have a mil scope the distance between the center of 1 mil to the center of the next will be 36 inches. usually mils are adjusted in 1/10th of a mill (.36 inches). moa is adjusted in 1/4 moa (.25 inches) or 1/8th moa for a target scope (.125 inches). the military uses mils so most shooters who learned how to shoot in the military are usto mils.

mil stands for millionth. moa is minute of angle so the dirrection you are looking is 0 degrees. straight behind you is 180 degrees. to your right is 90 degrees and to your left is 270 degrees. if you take 1 degree and break it down to 60 that is a minute. so as you go further out the pie gets bigger meaning its 1 inch at 100 yds and 2 inches at 200yds and 30 at 3000 yds. the .047 throws off the math a little but most folks use the shooters moa i mentioned further. its kind of hard to explain in type. give me a call if you have questions. 765-580-0986

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    there is always a big debate of whats better mils or moa. and the bottom line is it doesn't matter. they are both units of measurement. moa is 1.047 inches at 100 yds (shooters moa is 1 inch at 100 yds) a mill is 3.6 inches at 100 yds. each will be used to determine range of a known size traget and it will be used for corrections. for me its easier mathmatically to use moa. i can use mills but i have to think about it a little longer. on a ffp scope no matter what the power setting at 1000 yds if you have 1 shooters moa hash marks the distance between will be 10 inches. if you have a mil scope the distance between the center of 1 mil to the center of the next will be 36 inches. usually mils are adjusted in 1/10th of a mill (.36 inches). moa is adjusted in 1/4 moa (.25 inches) or 1/8th moa for a target scope (.125 inches). the military uses mils so most shooters who learned how to shoot in the military are usto mils.

mil stands for millionth. moa is minute of angle so the dirrection you are looking is 0 degrees. straight behind you is 180 degrees. to your right is 90 degrees and to your left is 270 degrees. if you take 1 degree and break it down to 60 that is a minute. so as you go further out the pie gets bigger meaning its 1 inch at 100 yds and 2 inches at 200yds and 30 at 3000 yds. the .047 throws off the math a little but most folks use the shooters moa i mentioned further. its kind of hard to explain in type. give me a call if you have questions. 765-580-0986

I think you did an exceptional job of explaining the difference.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN

so at 1000 yards every mill will be appx 4"? same thing at 100 and so on? and i thought you did a really nice job and desribing that. im sure we'll talk more on it before i buy that scope :D

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    so at 1000 yards every mill will be appx 4"? same thing at 100 and so on? and i thought you did a really nice job and desribing that. im sure we'll talk more on it before i buy that scope :D

Now if you really want to get confused, get a scope with the TMR reticle (Tactical Milling Reticle) and MOA adjustment knobs. I use the TRM hash marks to range objects and determine size, but I use MOA adjustments because the math is easier for me. I have the Leupold MK IV 8.5 X 25 with Front Focal Plane set up that way.

A nice feature of the TMR reticle is that you can count hash marks and use them instead of the cross hairs and you don't have to dial in MOA adjustments. On my AR010T in .308, I have the scope set 1" high at 100 yards, it is dead on at 200 yards. I hold one hash below the cross hairs at 300 yards, 3 hash marks below at 400 yards and 6 hash marks below at 500 yards. I can shoot any distance from 0 to 500 yards without touching the elevation knob.

Last edited:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Now if you really want to get confused, get a scope with the TMR reticle (Tactical Milling Reticle) and MOA adjustment knobs. I use the TRM hash marks to range objects and determine size, but I use MOA adjustments because the math is easier for me. I have the Leupold MK IV 8.5 X 25 with Front Focal Plane set up that way.

A nice feature of the TMR reticle is that you can count hash marks and use them instead of the cross hairs and you don't have to dial in MOA adjustments. On my AR010T in .308, I have the scope set 1" high at 100 yards, it is dead on at 200 yards. I hold one hash below the cross hairs at 300 yards, 3 hash marks below at 400 yards and 6 hash marks below at 500 yards. I can shoot any distance from 0 to 500 yards without touching the elevation knob.

Damn you! Now you have gave me something else to think about looking into lol. But that kinda of scope actually makes sense. I could see myself using something like that. Do you have a link to some scopes like that or information on them.

Top Bottom