• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I am reading that a Bushmaster AR was in the trunk of the shooters car. I'm wondering why it didn't jump out of the trunk and start killing people...how stupid could I be...it is probably a Lexus and the glow in the dark emergency trunk release broke when the AR tried to get out to do its killing.

Just owning one of those EBR turns a person into a killer.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I'm a member of a few different internet boards, and there's been a discussion on one of them concerning this tragedy.

I will say this - the other board of speaking of has nothing to do with guns (except for one little corner of it). The board is, honestly, pretty liberal when it comes to most subjects.

Reading through the comments of the story, there were a few that spouted the whole "Ban Guns Now!" agenda, but a larger percentage ranted differently. Rants about "When will we do something about the mental health crisis in the US?!"

One statement caught my attention, where the person said basically "We need to get this socialized healthcare established, and make sure it allows for the treatment of mental illness, and remove the social stigmata associated with treatment for it. Make it as easy as possible for people to get help for this kind of illness, to keep this kind of thing from happening again!"

Now, I know the whole socialized healthcare thing is a touchy subject on this board, but I'll go ahead and play devil's advocate here. Say it came down to a choice, one or the other. Which would you support? Would you rather face a massive, permanent gun grab; or would you rather pay a higher tax rate so mentally ill people were more able and likely to get treatment? :dunno:

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Now, I know the whole socialized healthcare thing is a touchy subject on this board, but I'll go ahead and play devil's advocate here. Say it came down to a choice, one or the other. Which would you support? Would you rather face a massive, permanent gun grab; or would you rather pay a higher tax rate so mentally ill people were more able and likely to get treatment? :dunno:

I rather face the gun grab. I can fight that. In your question, regarding the health care act, just how will this work? Will everyone have an annual psych evaluation? Will combat veterans automatically forced into treatment as mentally unstable? You won't need a permanent gun grab, eventually everyone will just be declared unfit to own a firearm.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I rather face the gun grab. I can fight that. In your question, regarding the health care act, just how will this work? Will everyone have an annual psych evaluation? Will combat veterans automatically forced into treatment as mentally unstable? You won't need a permanent gun grab, eventually everyone will just be declared unfit to own a firearm.

I'm not advocating mandatory psych evaluations for all, but I do want to try and come up with a solution that's amicable for all. As I said, it was more a devil's advocate thing to get people thinking.

More gun laws isn't going to solve anything. If we agree that this guy was mentally unstable, how do we work on that? Assuming that we all have to live in this country together, what measures can conservatives and liberals come together on to try and prevent this kind of thing from happening again?

If they can't come up with anything more than, "BAN THE GUNS!" I think we need to propose something that actually has a snowball's chance of working, that all can agree on.

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Don't you guys know the needs of the few, outweighs the needs of the many? Laws and regulations almost always screw over in some fashion the guy who always does the right thing. Just get ready to perform a preemptive bending over, cause it feels like its about to get real for us (and you all know what I'm talking about.)

futurefrogman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    It's no coincidence that the majority of these shooters are all under 30 years old. When did we start taking God out of schools again? This is a problem rooted in the moral degradation of society. We reap what we sow, in this case, tragically.

RolanNRA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    Hammond
    It is because Speaking of God is almost a crime nowadays. Its no coincidence that atheist professors who rose to prominence in colleges in the sixties. While at the same time Godlessness and drug use and all manner of perversion rose during this time as well

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I got to thinking and a question popped up in my mind.

Everyone, including gun owners are concerned about the increase of mass shootings in schools and workplaces. So I began looking at this historically. There are virtually none prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968 except for Charles Whitman in the University of Texas tower shooting. In this case a bolt action rifle was used. Police credited local citizen assistance as being helpful in stopping this event.

Is it safe to assume that the increase in mass shootings is related to the passing of the GCA of 1968, and accelerating with each major federal law and effort to control violence via passing laws restricting guns and gun ownership? As I've thought about this overnight this is could be a contributory cause. With gun control being implemented personal responsibility and familiarization with guns has declined. People have transferred danger to guns and not where it belongs the individual.

Working from the above hypotheses I would suggest the vilification and revulsion towards firearms owners is what caused more irresponsible and violent use of firearms.

Mark-of-Scotland

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is because Speaking of God is almost a crime nowadays. Its no coincidence that atheist professors who rose to prominence in colleges in the sixties. While at the same time Godlessness and drug use and all manner of perversion rose during this time as well

It has more to do with the Rise of the 60's counter-culture hippie movement and the Marxism inspired indoctrination and so called "teachings" in the school system that promote reckless, morally bankrupt and deviant behaviour while professing no personal accountability "It's all societies fault, the TV made him do it, video games turned him into a killer, sex on TV made him a serial rapist and such bull****"

Atheism by itself is harmless, indeed it's much less harmful than fervent religious conviction. As a religious person myself i don't experience cognitive dissonance when i say this.

A person does not need religion in their life to lead a moral life. I myself am not a christian and have not been one for many years (when i did attend church it was with family and i didn't believe even then so whether or not i have ever actually been a christian is up for debate) yet i lead a much more moral life of mutual respect, forgiveness and being an all round kind person than many of the devoutly religious people i know.

upalot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    PAWNEE
    I think it all comes down to the fact that children are not raised by there parents anymore. Every child today spends more waking hours with daycare and sitters than they do with there family, do these sitters give the child what they need to grow up knowing right from wrong, all they want is to get them through the day so mom or dad can pick them up and pay her/him for taking "good" care of there child.
    When I was a child in the 50's most homes still had a stay at home mom that cared for her children. Somtimes I think a crash of our economy would be a good thing, kinda like resetting the clock.
    Gun control isn't the answer, child control is.

Hajisc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   1
    Oct 11, 2012
    Westville,In.
    Am I reading the news right? They are all on the bandwagon about this guy and his assault rifle,But the rifle was in his car??????????????
    My prayers go out to all the parents of the children that were killed or injured as well as the teachers .

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    It's time for the NRA and responsible gun owners to accept the difference between perception and reality. Whether or not more gun restrictions will really solve the problem is not the issue. The perception of many Americans, possibly a majority, is that gun owners are wackos and the NRA is an obstructionist organization; both of which are part of the problem rather than being part of the solution. The reality of that viewpoint DOES NOT MATTER - get over it, and get over it now. It will not change in the near future unless we act intelligently, and digging in our heels is not acting intelligently.

The NRA and responsible gun owners need to be viewed as part of the solution. Those who loudly promote "no restrictions", "it's our right", etc. simply do not understand the hole they are digging for themselves. They have spent so much time in an echo chamber of their own ideas that they are tone deaf regarding how they are viewed by a large slice of Americans.

Compromising on things like mandatory training, waiting periods, limits on ammunition purchases, etc. will go a long way toward preventing greater restrictions. At the same time, educational steps can be taken that promote the logic of responsible gun ownership.

Taking a hard line and continuing to insist on a full loaf may well result in having none.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    People talk about mental disorders, like it is something that can be detected and diagnosed like any other illness. What if it isn't necessarily a mental illness, what if it is hate...rage...evil? What if there really is good and evil? Something can happen to a person to cause their heart to grow with hate for something, or maybe someone in this case. This kind of stuff won't stop, they're not going to be able to detect the issues with all of these people.

I have a friend who is a counselor, and sees lots of angry, messed-up people. He's also a hunter and handgun enthusiast. He firmly believes that some people are just evil or possessed by evil.

Top Bottom