• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Ideally looking for something that has a full size and compact/subcompact model that way I could get both a full size with a threaded barrel and compact model.

Models that have an optics ready variant a big plus. Reliability is king.

Any suggestions?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Taurus TX22 has quite a few variations. I have the full size, it's been pretty reliable so far, but only had it a week.
    I had excellent service from a couple of TX22s and still have a competition model that is my favorite plinker/target pistol. Taurus is also making a smaller version of the TX that is a great pistol.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Taurus TX-22 compact can be had optic cut and is a great gun from my experience.

The full size TX-22 is also a great pistol, but haven't seen an optic cut version yet on it that I'm aware of.

There is the competition model but it's a bit different in the way the optic mounts.

I have both the optic cut compact (with a holosun 407k mounted), and the full size. They can share the same mags that come with the full size. Both have eaten an ammo I've tried.

Last edited:

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    As others have said the Taurus TX looks really cool but I have not shot one. The Ruger Marks are reliable and great shooters. My daughter has a Ruger 22/45 which is a lot like a Mark and is nice. It is not optics ready and is more of a target gun than a defense piece.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    SIG Mosquito, now the GSG Firefly. It is kind of half way between full and compact, has a threaded barrel. Some people complained about having to run the hot stuff to get it to cycle for the first 500 or so. I love mine and now it doesn't care what I feed it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    TX22 you cannot go wrong with them.
    Reliable, 16+1, and made in the United States. :patriot:

10rd mags :(
    $200

1696116148115.png

$254
    Free shipping if you order before midnight
    No sales tax
    However, it takes them 4 weeks to ship it.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've had a Ruger Mark series Hunter and 2 x SR-22's, 2 x Taurus TX-22's, and ultimately sold all of them in favor of a Beretta 92 in .22lr...and it's been our family's favorite for the past 3+ years ever since the kids have grown enough to comfortably handle the larger Beretta grip.
    From a fun viewpoint the Beretta is, hands down, the most accurate of all the .22lr semi-auto pistols I have ever owned! I would highly recommend the Beretta...they're around $400 for a .22lr model!

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If you're going to suppress it then the only Ruger MK series to get is the IV. It's WAY easier to take down and clean. 22lr is dirty and running them suppressed will get extremely filthy quicker. And the Sig Mosquito is a terrible pistol. Most of them can't get through a mag without malfunctions.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If you're going to suppress it then the only Ruger MK series to get is the IV. It's WAY easier to take down and clean. 22lr is dirty and running them suppressed will get extremely filthy quicker. And the Sig Mosquito is a terrible pistol. Most of them can't get through a mag without malfunctions.

Ruger MK4 is always the answer when the question is "what .22lr pistol to get"

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I myself would recoment any of the Ruger 22 pistols or a Browning Buckmark.

And I will add that when they first came out, I bought my sons a Sig Mosquito and the other a Walther P22, we have never had any issues with either of them. Ours are kid tested for sure.

Top Bottom