• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Depends on what the purpose of the gun is for a person, IMO.
    It's a great gun, but it's not the only game in town, and definitely not for every purpose.
    Besides the looks….? Curious what role tx22 or the others can do that the mk4 couldn’t??? (Genuinely asking non snarky questions I can’t think of anything they can do better?)

Unless we’re talking about the pocket 22’s those have a special role but tx22 doesn’t do that any better than the ruger

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Besides the looks….? Curious what role tx22 or the others can do that the mk4 couldn’t??? (Genuinely asking non snarky questions I can’t think of anything they can do better?)

Unless we’re talking about the pocket 22’s those have a special role but tx22 doesn’t do that any better than the ruger
    Trainer for a carry striker fired gun, especially the compact model.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The M&P 22 Compact is also a quite good little pistol. Pairs well with either a Shield, Shield Plus, or the 9c as a "trainer".

Similarly, the G44 could also scratch that itch.

MY experience: a Ruger Mk II 22/45 with a PacLite Upper on it has been the bee's knees. 2-3 different Walther P22 pistols were also quite fun when I had them - but were always trade fodder. Neat guns, though. And I never had any real issues with them other than what plagues every .22 (They get dirty and start to get sticky and then bulk pack ammo starts having issues feeding and firing).

I've also owned at least 1x M&P 22 compact. Neat little gun. Never any issues, other than the fact that I didn't ever want to pony up the $ for more mags. I'm pretty sure I also once owned the older/larger M&P 22 pistol. The larger one was striker fired and is generally thought of as less reliable than the smaller internal-hammer-fired compact.

A buddy has a TX22 of some flavor. I don't think it's the comp one as his doesn't look goofy. That I know of - no issues.

I don't have any time behind the Brownings - though I'd sure like a few of them. Same with the other offerings from S&W. Their SW22 intrigues me; and I'd LOVE a model 41. But, you know...$$$.

And if I had my way; I'd like a Ruger Mk IV of some kind. With the threaded aluminum upper. But I can't justify the cost. I wouldn't get much for my Mk II... And I have like 13 mags for that sucker. Duplicating the mags would cost me at least $25/per. Which isn't a whole lot until you want to have 10+ of them.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    As others have said the Taurus TX looks really cool but I have not shot one. The Ruger Marks are reliable and great shooters. My daughter has a Ruger 22/45 which is a lot like a Mark and is nice. It is not optics ready and is more of a target gun than a defense piece.
    22 could be considered for self defense but training and accuracy becomes even more important, if that's possible, than with a larger caliber. I sold my original TXs because mounting an optic was a pain and found that the Sig 322 was IMHO just as good as the TX and comes optic ready and has a 20 round mag. I use the 322 for my students when I teach private lessons but also use it for my own training. Recently picked up a TX compact and it's my understanding that, like the 322 they are all optic ready. Taking the TX compact to the range today for it's maiden voyage.
    For a plinker I enjoy a MKIV 22/45 lite but if you want something for training and possible carry the TX and 322 are both great values.

Jont22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 24, 2019
    Morgan County
    My P322 is great... for malfunction clearing practice. Especially with the 25 round mags.

I only have the 20rd mags, but my experience is much different. Malfunctions so infrequent I don’t specifically remember any. Shoot mostly suppressed…not sure it that helps with function. Makes the gun very dirty…lol

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I only have the 20rd mags, but my experience is much different. Malfunctions so infrequent I don’t specifically remember any. Shoot mostly suppressed…not sure it that helps with function. Makes the gun very dirty…lol
    Mine is probably an ammo issue, I need to run a few hundred mini mags through it and see if things improve. However, the springs in the 25 round mags seem too weak and don't present the rounds correctly until it gets down to 10 or less rounds.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    If it is a 22 handgun I probably have it or have had it. I have kept my Rugers to include MK I, II, III,IV and 22/45. I still keep a Glock 44 for teaching and training. I have 2 P322's and have ran the 20 and 25 rd mags suppressed and unsuppressed with no issues.

I've had the Taurus(gone) Smith Victory(Gone) and some I don't even remember.

I buy based on mag availability, aftermarket support and Product support by the manufacturer.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    And the Sig Mosquito is a terrible pistol. Most of them can't get through a mag without malfunctions.
    I have the GSG Firefly. When Sig had the Mosquito I think it was outsourced to GSG, but I never shot one. The Firefly has been a rock for me. I broke it in with a couple hundred rounds of minimags and have never had an issue with it. Not one single error of any type. I have a form 4 working and will add the suppressor maybe by July, fingers crossed.

The gun works great, but at some point I'll upgrade the trigger for sure.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Mine is probably an ammo issue, I need to run a few hundred mini mags through it and see if things improve. However, the springs in the 25 round mags seem too weak and don't present the rounds correctly until it gets down to 10 or less rounds.
    TX22 has no ammo issues.
    Mine ran Stingers, Eley Force, Winchester M22, Aguila Super Extra, Winchester White box. Federal Auto Match, Mini Mags, Federal Punch, Norma Tac 22, Winchester Super X, and CCI SV.

It ran so good I even tried Aguila Super Colibri:lmfao:. It failed to run it ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Maybe a newer shooter benefits more from a trainer .22lr.
    Plus there's a cost savings.

People learn things differently and have varied abilities.

Having grown up shooting and being OK at it, never subscribed to trainer handguns or rifles.
    Not needed.
    .22lr for me is target and hunting so want better sights/triggers.

Carry gun practice....is with actual carry gun.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Ruger MK IV - have put thousands of rounds through mine suppressed and unsuppressed and it's run like a champ. As other's have pointed out, much improved takedown vs prior models. Not that those were hard but the MK IV's takedown is much simpler.

DirtRoadEvan

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Another vote for the Ruger MK IV here, just can't beat the proven track record of reliabilty and shooting a tiny round out of a heavy gun is way to fun.

That being said the mechanics are different enough from most carry guns that you don't get as much crossover as some other options. I have a friend with the TX22 and I have been very impressed.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Another vote for the Rugers. My MkII was better out of the box, but my MkIV is awesome after some polishing and a bundle of parts from Volquartsen. I like them both, but definitely have more money invested in the MkIV.

53196737517_a9769e079b_b.jpg

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    I’d wholeheartedly recommend a Glock 44 or a Ruger MK4. Both are available with threaded barrels. I love .22 LR pistols. It doesn’t get much more fun! Have fun with whatever you decide on!

Top Bottom