• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ok, Doddg, I was thinking you couldn’t go to the side - your issue is forward for the eye relief.

Yep. Some type of eer scope. Don’t give up on this. A solution exists. Just post your CC# and shipping address, we will get some things headed your way.

Let me just put my bank account number as well, and members can just Pay Pal money there for me to go shopping. :rofl:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’m going to feel pretty safe guessing the Exemplar isn’t a real option in this case given it’s cost. Cool pistol, but other routes exists without spending a grand.

I have a 2 pistols that I have over a grand, and I'm not looking to add another in the rifle department, for sure.
    Since I have never had optics till recently, I am surprised at how the rails, rings and scopes/red dots can quickly ad up, and that is just in the lower priced materials.
    This is why I've tried to buy my rifles with everything already done, but I'm finding out that they won't "fit" me b/c noone else needs the scope as high as I do.
    At least the issue was ameliorated with the Ruger 10/22 I bought off a member here :ingo:, but that could cost $200 to duplicate on another rifle.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I have a 2 pistols that I have over a grand, and I'm not looking to add another in the rifle department, for sure.
    Since I have never had optics till recently, I am surprised at how the rails, rings and scopes/red dots can quickly ad up, and that is just in the lower priced materials.
    This is why I've tried to buy my rifles with everything already done, but I'm finding out that they won't "fit" me b/c noone else needs the scope as high as I do.
    At least the issue was ameliorated with the Ruger 10/22 I bought off a member here :ingo:, but that could cost $200 to duplicate on another rifle.

Great word ! :yesway:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    EER scopes....

I prefer the look of those w a bell objective.
    While my 2x Leupold worked great it just didnt look right.

The TC japanese made 2.5-7x is good, had a couple....they tend to be pricey new and used.

Proly end up w a Leupold 4x. Or a TC Japanese one.

Am happy w my japanese Bushnell Trophy 2x.
    Obsolete....cant fix if it goes south.

So far its handled the jolt of the 35 rem fine. Mint, like new....50 bucks. Took 2 yrs to find a good one.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO everybody needs one decent .22.....be it handgun or rifle.

Even if it sits in the safe a lot, eventually it will get dug out and enjoyed, esp if grandkids or other new family members happen.

Yeah, i have a 1022. But it aint stock.
    A good 22 need not be expensive, but it usually works out that they aint cheap.

However, i kill clays and critters w cheap used Remington field guns and it doesnt bother me at all.

A nice .22 lr is a gentlemans thing. And as such worthy of passing to the next generation.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I did some experimenting today measuring and practicing bringing up both rifles for my cheek and stock to meet then lining up my eye to the respective scopes.
    One of the reasons the Ruger 10/22 does better for me is b/c the scope is 1.75 inches higher than the receiver, while the Henry is only .75 inches higher.
    Plus, the Ruger scope is back 2 inches more (approximately, I didn't measure it).
    I actually have to move it up a "notch" or two from when I put it on all the way the rear of the rail that I could.

The killing difference with the Henry set-up is that I have to take my head/neck/eye not only to the right a little (not too bad), but I have to force it forward and down and to the right: killer combination.
    It take away anything related to not fun in just 1 tube of shooting.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've been searching for other options since the Henry scope/rings didn't work out for me b/c of my arthritic neck issues.
    I could have spent money fixing addressing that with different scopes and rings, but I didn't want to go that direction.
    I discovered I didn't like the lever action, and I preferred using magazines instead of loading the tube.
    Go figure: I didn't see that one coming.
    I focused on the Ruger Precision Rifle, it being a bolt action (even held a couple of Savage Mark 2 AccuTriggers).
    I found one here from a member that I'd bought my 1st CZ from 2 summers ago, but it didn't have any optics.
    Another member wanted to trade, that I'd sold to before, but none of my 4 trade offers worked for him.
    There was one on another site ($500), nearly new in box with a nice $170 Nikon scope and cantilever rings ($100), which gave me hope it would work.
    When I went to check the rifle out and held it up to my cheek, I could tell it was close to a "fit."
    This type of rings is what tuned my Ruger 10/22 to where I could use it.

Range trip was wonderful, exceeding my expectations and I was thrilled, elated, relieved & thankful!
    It simply was easy to shoot, and shot better than even my Ruger 10/22.
    Not perfect, but I can turn the rings around the other direction so the scope can back closer to my eye/head/neck to relieve some neck strain.

The pic shows a bipod; I didn't get it, that was a $300 option.
    oOZfnM2.png

I shot the targets in the order they are numbered dialing it in for the 50' I had available.
    The groups just kept getting a little tighter each target.
    I came with a 15 round, but from my 10/22 I have 10 rd. x3; 15 & a 25 rd.
    J9NJm7V.jpg

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Glad to hear this. That stock is adjustable for both length of pull and comb height, so be sure to adjust those before messing with the scope.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Glad to hear this. That stock is adjustable for both length of pull and comb height, so be sure to adjust those before messing with the scope.

Too late for that since I went straight to the range to see if it was going to work for me.
    I shot it before even before experimenting with it, then adjusted to all the way back to see if it made it better or worse, but the cheek rest didn't follow all the way back with the butt of the stock, and I ended up with the cheek rest in front of my cheek. :(
    I look forward to figuring out which position will be for my neck's advantage.
    I do know what you mean, though, b/c it did make a difference in the focus when I played with it in a couple of positions.
    I'm going to have to turn the cantilever rings around facing the rear position instead of forward like they are now, which will give me a more relaxed neck position and will better determine the pull & comb adjustments will be.
    I'll have to redial it in again after that, but I enjoy the process anyway.
    It's one of the reasons it drives me nuts to own a gun that doesn't have rear adjustable sights and shoots low, and/or another direction, as well.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Too late for that since I went straight to the range to see if it was going to work for me.
    I shot it before even before experimenting with it, then adjusted to all the way back to see if it made it better or worse, but the cheek rest didn't follow all the way back with the butt of the stock, and I ended up with the cheek rest in front of my cheek. :(
    I look forward to figuring out which position will be for my neck's advantage.
    I do know what you mean, though, b/c it did make a difference in the focus when I played with it in a couple of positions.
    I'm going to have to turn the cantilever rings around facing the rear position instead of forward like they are now, which will give me a more relaxed neck position and will better determine the pull & comb adjustments will be.
    I'll have to redial it in again after that, but I enjoy the process anyway.
    It's one of the reasons it drives me nuts to own a gun that doesn't have rear adjustable sights and shoots low, and/or another direction, as well.

You're getting old enough to back the eye relief adjustment almost all the way out. "Old Man Eye Relief" I was told it was called. Just give it a try and it might help relax those neck muscles

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You're getting old enough to back the eye relief adjustment almost all the way out. "Old Man Eye Relief" I was told it was called. Just give it a try and it might help relax those neck muscles

Never had a scope until just a few weeks ago, and I quickly learned about backing it out further.
    All the way out is too far, since I'm so young :oldwise:, but the headed that way!

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    doddg, if you want to add an adjustable stock to your 10/22 it won't be cheap. But, if you end up liking semi-automatic action rather than bolt action you can build up the Ruger factory stock or buy an aftermarket stock. Here's one from Boyds ... [FONT=&amp]https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/gunstocks/at-one-ruger-10-22-3z2681w74zz , and another from Magpul ... [/FONT][FONT=&amp]https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-x-22-stock-ruger-10-22?ProductColor=VO343

What it seems you need is a ton of comb adjustment to allow your head to engage the stock without aggravating your neck. This may be the limiting factor in whatever stock you settle into.

Keep after it and you will eventually find the perfect combination. Then all the searching and experimenting will provide you with a smile each time you pull the trigger.
    [/FONT]

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg, if you want to add an adjustable stock to your 10/22 it won't be cheap. But, if you end up liking semi-automatic action rather than bolt action you can build up the Ruger factory stock or buy an aftermarket stock. Here's one from Boyds ... [FONT=&amp]https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/gunstocks/at-one-ruger-10-22-3z2681w74zz , and another from Magpul ... [/FONT][FONT=&amp]https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-x-22-stock-ruger-10-22?ProductColor=VO343
    What it seems you need is a ton of comb adjustment to allow your head to engage the stock without aggravating your neck. This may be the limiting factor in whatever stock you settle into.
    Keep after it and you will eventually find the perfect combination. Then all the searching and experimenting will provide you with a smile each time you pull the trigger.
    [/FONT]

I was elated yesterday! A good start! :rockwoot:
    I don't want to reinvent the wheel and pour $$ into the "perfect" set up.
    It's just for fun, a hobby, so I must constrain myself (or at least that is what I tell the wife :laugh: ).
    I almost bought a Savage with a Boyd's stock months ago as my 1st rifle, but I bought a Ruger 10/22) from a member.
    I looked at the Boyd stock long and hard (loved it), and if it would have come with optics I would have bought it, but it would have been priced over my "budget."

I was wanting to get into a rifle in the $300-$400 range, but of course, my last 2 rifles have been $500.
    The 1st rifle I bought this past year (Ruger Mannlicher 10/22) was $350, but I ended up getting $120 cantilever rings to "tune" it to fit me (got lucky and found used).
    I realize like everything else in the world that if it is a level above the average: it costs more than you intend to spend. :dunno:.
    If I shot the "perfect" ultimate, that would put that attitude to the test: it's happened before.
    That's how I ended up with a CZ Shadow 2 with $1200+ in it, when I had a perfectly good CZ for $500ish (don't remember).
    A friend let me shoot his Shadow 2 at the range: it was the ultimate, the best, and of course, I found a "deal" on a used one. :rockwoot:
    The Precision bolt action was enjoyable, but no preference as of yet between it and the semi-auto after just 1 range trip.
    I remember thinking yesterday that the Precision could replace the 10/22, but I don't have to make a decision about that too quick: I'll enjoy both at least for awhile.
    It will be my mission for next range trips to test both rifles out against each other.
    I'm trying to sell 1 gun per week to trim the safe, but I can't face selling anything more right now after selling 5 guns in the past 3 weeks.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I did a little work on the optics of both the Ruger 10/22 & the Ruger Precision Rifles this pm.
    I had put the scope all the way back on the rings, after I put the new cantilever rings on it, which was too far: I edged those forward a little.
    So it will be even easier on the neck (hopefully). :rockwoot:

On the Precision, I took off the cantilever rings and reversed their direction on the rail so that would allow the scope to come back toward my eye/head/neck (like I did the 10/22).
    Since I also had the stock to adjust, and after putting the scope where I wanted it, I'll be able to fine tune it with the stock adjustment in or out.
    I'm very pleased with it.
    I can't wait to dial-in both scopes: my idea of fun!

The first time I shot the Precision it seemed to have the edge, but I could just have been having a good day. :dunno:
    I want to shoot both of them back to back a few times to see if they are identical in accuracy, or if it depends on the day, which will indicate me as the X factor, of course.
    If one is the clear leader, the other could be trimmed, unless I'm loving the difference like in some of my handguns.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The rpr should edge out the 1022 in accuracy, once you find the right round. There are highly accurate 1022s but most get exotic barrels and free floated stocks before they compete with the rpr or the rart.

The real fun in a bolt action 22 is testing different ammo, magazines, and eventually doping out to 200 yards. For me it's a different experience than shooting my xring. I have a dedicated notebook that stays with my rart with ammo notes wind and distance.

A cheap way of getting highly accurate 22lr is to weigh out each round. I've had good results even with armscor by shooting ammo that weighs nearly identically. You can also shoot standard or subsonic rounds in a bolt gun that seem to produce tighter groups without worrying about cycling problems.

I can't imagine a safe without a good bolt action 22 and a 1022 of some sort.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The rpr should edge out the 1022 in accuracy, once you find the right round. There are highly accurate 1022s but most get exotic barrels and free floated stocks before they compete with the rpr or the rart.

The real fun in a bolt action 22 is testing different ammo, magazines, and eventually doping out to 200 yards. For me it's a different experience than shooting my xring. I have a dedicated notebook that stays with my rart with ammo notes wind and distance.

A cheap way of getting highly accurate 22lr is to weigh out each round. I've had good results even with armscor by shooting ammo that weighs nearly identically. You can also shoot standard or subsonic rounds in a bolt gun that seem to produce tighter groups without worrying about cycling problems.

I can't imagine a safe without a good bolt action 22 and a 1022 of some sort.

That last comment did make me smile! :thumbsup:
    I would have twice the guns in the safe if I allowed myself.
    I could have more rifles if I'm not careful, now that I've discovered scopes.
    I have been denying myself many different rifles over the last few months, and I'm hoping this Precision will abate those desired.
    But, I'm still looking. :dunno:

About the ammo, I have about 6 different types of ammo, and I do want to try them all out and see which performs better, just for fun.
    I cannot imagine shooting 200 yds. I don't think I have the scopes for it.
    I do want to try 50 yrs. sometime and 100 yds just to see how bad I'd be.
    I can't shoot 1/2" groups at 50" (16.6 yds.)
    I've read about someone who went to alot of trouble weighing their ammo to do exactly what you are saying (maybe that was you!).
    Thanks for the feedback Ggreen, I hope a good trade works out for your item.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    That was me that weighed my ammo and it didn't work out for me. Not saying it doesn't work, just didn't see any improvement with the ammo I tried.

My RPR shot just under 0.5" at 50 yards with the factory barrel and just under 0.25" with a Green Mountain barrel using CCI SV. That was with a $130 Hawke 4-12x40 scope. I have since upgraded the glass to a 6-24x50 Vortex HST and will be sighting the rifle in soon to see if I can improve any, then begin to stretch it's legs a little out to 300 yards eventually.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That was me that weighed my ammo and it didn't work out for me. Not saying it doesn't work, just didn't see any improvement with the ammo I tried.

My RPR shot just under 0.5" at 50 yards with the factory barrel and just under 0.25" with a Green Mountain barrel using CCI SV. That was with a $130 Hawke 4-12x40 scope. I have since upgraded the glass to a 6-24x50 Vortex HST and will be sighting the rifle in soon to see if I can improve any, then begin to stretch it's legs a little out to 300 yards eventually.

Impressive! :thumbsup:
    I cannot imagine. :dunno:
    The range close to my house (:10), moved 1 mile away to a bigger place, and they intend to put in a 45 yd. range.
    I hope they are able to do it, that will be more fun than the 50' in the old building or the 75' at Point Blank (using some free passes there).

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Impressive! :thumbsup:
    I cannot imagine. :dunno:
    The range close to my house (:10), moved 1 mile away to a bigger place, and they intend to put in a 45 yd. range.
    I hope they are able to do it, that will be more fun than the 50' in the old building or the 75' at Point Blank (using some free passes there).
    When you're shooting at these ranges that you go to, I'm assuming you're shooting from a bench directly in front of you with no side support for your elbow? If so, you'll find shooting from a bench made for rifle shooting to be more comfortable and more stable as well. Which equates to better accuracy.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom