• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I took both the Ruger 10/22 & Precision rifles back to the 75' range (Point Blank/Greenwood) b/c my regular 50' range was closed b/c of moving.

I got the 10/22 dialed in again after moving the scope forward b/c I had it all the back too much.
    Then, I started on the Precision (which I really love the feel/weight of it), after turning the cantilever rings around to be able to bring the scope back some more for my neck.

Hilarious, b/c I had it on it's highest magnification, but then couldn't fine tune it to see the target w/o losing the visual of the crosshairs in the scope???
    I finally figured out that if I decreased the setting of magnification, then I could fine tune the crosshairs back in.
    I'm sure there is a way to have the largest magnification & see the crosshairs (never was a problem on the 10/22 & both Nikons), but perhaps that involves positioning the scope differently on the rings?
    I'm very inexperienced with scope adjustments, so it might take me awhile to figure it out. :dunno:

Since I was on an hour limit with a pass, and not at my regular range where I could take all the time I wanted, I ran out of time to get the Precision dialed in correctly.

I did have time to find out that the Remington Golden HV (1400 FPS)Bullets, don't group as well as the CCI SV in either rifle.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Hv regularly groups poorly. I'm happy if I can keep them 1" at 50 for squirrels, but for groups i regularly see standard and faster subs holding the best patterns

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hv regularly groups poorly. I'm happy if I can keep them 1" at 50 for squirrels, but for groups i regularly see standard and faster subs holding the best patterns

Hey, Ggreen!
    Lesson learned!
    I was just using it for the 1st round of tuning, since I have 30k rounds of HV since I thought faster was better and only bought it for 2 yrs. :dunno:
    When I bought my Smith 41 is when I found out that it needed SV & I should quit using the HV when others told me to "Stop it!" :laugh:

TargetSportsUSA had CCI SV for sale at $240/5000 rds. & I ordered it since I'm under 10k rds. now. :ar15:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Hey, Ggreen!
    Lesson learned!
    I was just using it for the 1st round of tuning, since I have 30k rounds of HV since I thought faster was better and only bought it for 2 yrs. :dunno:
    When I bought my Smith 41 is when I found out that it needed SV & I should quit using the HV when others told me to "Stop it!" :laugh:

TargetSportsUSA had CCI SV for sale at $240/5000 rds. & I ordered it since I'm under 10k rds. now. :ar15:

My ruger american rimfire target puts federal gold medal match in the same hole at 20yards. Just another to try out. weighing and washing rounds is big in all the precision rimfire groups I lurk in. I rarely have that kind of time, but it can really even out magazines.

Side note, most guys get better groups out of the rpr using standard 10 Rd magazines as well.

I really think you'll end up liking rifles as much or more than pistols. Especially once you get into learning to use a scope, building a dope card and dialing shots rather than holding over. Your detail and data collecting/analysis lens itself to precision shooting well.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My ruger american rimfire target puts federal gold medal match in the same hole at 20yards. Just another to try out. weighing and washing rounds is big in all the precision rimfire groups I lurk in. I rarely have that kind of time, but it can really even out magazines.
    Side note, most guys get better groups out of the rpr using standard 10 Rd magazines as well.
    I really think you'll end up liking rifles as much or more than pistols. Especially once you get into learning to use a scope, building a dope card and dialing shots rather than holding over. Your detail and data collecting/analysis lens itself to precision shooting well.

Great follow up, thanks so much! :thumbsup:
    What great tips for someone like me who has virtually no experience except what I read here. :coffee:
    I wrote it all down in my planner that I carry with me.
    I had to google: "dope card," & "holding over." :dunno:
    The tip about using the 10 rd mags in the RPR was worth the price of admission this am: thanks again! :)

I have wondered about that as well (the preferring rifles to pistols), since I am having so much fun with them.
    Since I did buy a 3rd rifle to experience a bolt action, and I like is even better than the semi-auto (Ruger 10/22) b/c it seems to fit even better.

I've even wondered about keeping the 2nd rifle I bought (Henry Golden Boy lever action), if it doesn't sell right away, of trying to work with it and giving it another opportunity, to "grow" on me since I do love it for all the reasons I bought it, I would just have to spend another $100+ to get some cantilever rings (like I have with the other 2) to bring the scope back and up so it's not such a strain on the neck, and I'd have to get get used to the lever action.

I did have someone who wanted to buy it this week, but they didn't need the scope, so I recommended that since there is $325 of accessories with it (bringing the price up to $500 for the rifle), just go buy a $300 stock used one. (I had one over a year ago: another story). I'm not much of a salesman. :dunno:

This am I'm hoping to take both Rugers to finish dialing them in this am.
    Not going to change the Henry's 50 yard dialing in perfection the previous owner did, since whoever buys it will probably want that.
    If it doesn't sell, I'll dial it in for my purposes later, and think about getting the different rings (if I can get over the lever being "in the way," :dunno:).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Once time allows we should go to Hoosier hills and ring the 200 yard steel.

That would be awesome!
    I can't imagine I'll be able to do it, but if I bring enough ammo......................... :laugh:
    Just pm me & I'll give you my cell #.
    I still have you in my cell if you're the same Green that I bought my 1st CZ from (I ended up having 8 total).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Had a chance to dial in the the Rugers today, but at only 50'.
    The Nikon Prostaff on the 10/22 seems easier for my eyes to work with than the optic on the Precision.

50' (16.6 yrds.) At this range: the same accuracy.
    10 rounds each target.
    w00yuJv.jpg

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    That would be awesome!
    I can't imagine I'll be able to do it, but if I bring enough ammo......................... :laugh:
    Just pm me & I'll give you my cell #.
    I still have you in my cell if you're the same Green that I bought my 1st CZ from (I ended up having 8 total).
    Just because you've never shot 200+ doesn't mean you can't do it.
    Everyone was a virgin.... once.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Silhouettes at 200 are really easy on a calm day.
    https://youtu.be/9Cq9yC4DV58

200 yds. is truly incredible! :wow:
    I've never been slow at admitting I don't even know what I don't know. :dunno:
    This is just another example.
    I was looking forward to going beyond the 25 yds. that I've experienced at Point Blank by doing 50 yds. somewhere.
    Then after that 100 yds. was to be the "ultimate." :rockwoot:
    Now, 200 yds. is the gauntlet. :ugh:
    I haven't even figured yet out how to get my scopes to the highest magnification and keep my crosshairs visible. :laugh: :facepalm:
    I know I shouldn't admit such ignorance but I love the learning curve this hobby provides, since I know most everything about most everything else (since I'm old :oldwise:). :rofl:
    My dry humor doesn't show up well in print (I've been told), so I'm laughing to myself on what the critcs reading this :coffee: are thinking.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You keep stretching out your distances and soon your going to be buying a centerfire rifle... :whistle:

I'm not interested in stretching out too much at this point, just to experience it.
    I would have to outgrow my pleasure of accuracy with the .22LR, that will that will probably never happen since I'm not looking for another level of addiction. :laugh:

Just like I wanted & intended to start the Steel Matches when I retired in June, but I've been so distracted by other pursuits that I haven't.
    I even sold a gun I bought from a member here that was already set up for it (5 mags & a red dot).
    I also I wanted to get an outdoor range lined up, and there are a couple around, but I didn't jump through the hoops that some require, maybe next summer. :)

But, I'm still having so much fun with the hobby!

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If I can get some time off to meet up at hhrp the first magazine is on me... Stretching out is addictive... 22lr is a gateway cartridge.

20190723152603.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If I can get some time off to meet up at hhrp the first magazine is on me... Stretching out is addictive... 22lr is a gateway cartridge.
    20190723152603.jpg

If you are referring to this place, it is about an hour from my house:
    Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club
    Address: 400-698 Camp Moneto Rd, Nashville, IN 47448

I'd be delighted to do the drive and get an introduction to long-range shooting 101. :thumbsup:
    Just looking through that scope would be enough to make my day!
    PM me or if you still have my number, text or call and we can work out a time & day whenever you are free.
    I have only a few appts. during the week.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If you are referring to this place, it is about an hour from my house:
    Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club
    Address: 400-698 Camp Moneto Rd, Nashville, IN 47448

I'd be delighted to do the drive and get an introduction to long-range shooting 101. :thumbsup:
    Just looking through that scope would be enough to make my day!
    PM me or if you still have my number, text or call and we can work out a time & day whenever you are free.
    I have only a few appts. during the week.

I've got your number. I've got a week off coming up mid November. I also have 2 kids under 2 lol.

Top Bottom