• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    OK, so the latest update in the search for the perfect treerat removal device goes as follows:

Went out to 3 different stores selling guns to look at/fondle different .22's...
    Finally got to feel the difference between the mark iv lite and mark iv target--wow, what a difference!
    Got to feel the difference between the wooden grips (on a mark iv hunter, I believe) and the regular grips--believe it or not, I didn't particularly like the wood grips at all, especially compared to the straight grips on the target.
    Lastly, I got to fondle a buckmark in comparison to a mark iv...both seemed really nice to be honest. Very nice feel, balance, fit in the hand, etc. for both. The mark iv wins due to the takedown feature.

As of right now, I think I'm on the lookout for a used mark iv target model 40101. I'm hoping I eventually find one here/at a LGS for a good price (read "cheap"), as I'm a little strapped for spending $$ and I am just too cheap to pay full new prices...

Oh, and my last comment I would like to share is that if you live anywhere close at all to the north side of Indy/Noblesville area, it would be pretty difficult to find nicer folks than those who helped me at Hoosier Armory. Very patient, very knowledgeable, and very willing to answer all kinds of questions. Though I didn't find exactly what I wanted there this time, I most certainly WILL be back!!

1. I have the Mark 4 (40101, Luger style) that I bought off a member here and love it.
    2. I just sold a Mark 4 22/45 for $275 (40107 model).
    I passed along a great buy I got on it: the Luger-style (40101) was just a tad more accurate in my hands, probably b/c it is all metal (alloy) where the other's frame is polymer if I understand correctly: it was only a couple of ounces heavier. The Luger-style was more expensive, even though I got a great buy on it from a member here.
    3. I used to do business with Hoosier Armory when I live in Castleton.
    They used to have the best new prices of anywhere and I still use them as a benchmark in pricing out guns.
    I have bought 2 new and a few used ones there, but not recently since I moved.
    4. I am looking for a Ruger Charger, but people are asking more than what I can buy them new for at Hoosier Armory.

Last edited:

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    1. I have the Mark 4 (40101, Luger style) that I bought off a member here and love it.
    2. I just sold a Mark 4 22/45 for $275 (40107 model).
    I passed along a great buy I got on it: the Luger-style (40101) was just a tad more accurate in my hands, probably b/c it is all metal (alloy) where the other's frame is polymer if I understand correctly: it was only a couple of ounces heavier. The Luger-style was more expensive, even though I got a great buy on it from a member here.
    3. I used to do business with Hoosier Armory when I live in Castleton.
    They used to have the best new prices of anywhere and I still use them as a benchmark in pricing out guns.
    I have bought 2 new and a few used ones there, but not recently since I moved.
    4. I am looking for a Ruger Charger, but people are asking more than what I can buy them new for at Hoosier Armory.

I'm pretty sure I saw a Charger there today. But, as it has zero probability of being non-encumbersome while I'm already carrying a hunting pack and either bow or rifle, I just looked at it in glancing.

I'm going to be watching their used guns section of their website like a hawk--hoping to see that 40101 used there--I'd love to buy one from them, as they were really, really nice folks!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm pretty sure I saw a Charger there today. But, as it has zero probability of being non-encumbersome while I'm already carrying a hunting pack and either bow or rifle, I just looked at it in glancing.

I'm going to be watching their used guns section of their website like a hawk--hoping to see that 40101 used there--I'd love to buy one from them, as they were really, really nice folks!

1. A used one doesn't show up on their site and so it's the new ones that sell for $245 with the takedown model for $330.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Didn't notice this 2nd comment.
    2. Their used prices are inflated more than they used to be.
    3. They had a used gun online for $800 that I bought for $600 (Ruger .45): I couldn't believe they took my low offer, but it was what Marksman Shooting Sports sold one for but I couldn't get there in time and told them so. (owner knew me and that I'd not pay more and wasn't bluffing)

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I just called and talked to Rick and they didn't have a Charger there: only order.
    2. I also called Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield and talked to Chris there and they sold one 3 months back for $210 (which is more what I'm looking for) that was the laminated wood updated model.
    3. They have the best used gun prices of any store I've been in (not that I frequent many), to the point if I see something online from him, it will be sold before I get there.
    4. Once, I went up there to get a CZ P09 and a guy beat my by 15 minutes!
    5. Another time I was going after work but a guy was there when the doors opened for a $600 Ruger SS 1911 .45acp..

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    1. You have my full support. :laugh:
    2. Sorry, couldn't help myself, but that is my profile: buy, shoot, sell, until I find what I want to keep. :dunno:

I would dearly love to know what your secret is with regards to finding amazing deals on guns. I think you've found several different guns at prices way, way cheaper than I seem to ever run across...and with the wife talking kitchen remodel, I have to be absolutely as cheap as possible unless I plan on building myself a little doghouse out of scrap lumber to reside in for a long, long time.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I would dearly love to know what your secret is with regards to finding amazing deals on guns. I think you've found several different guns at prices way, way cheaper than I seem to ever run across...and with the wife talking kitchen remodel, I have to be absolutely as cheap as possible unless I plan on building myself a little doghouse out of scrap lumber to reside in for a long, long time.

1. I look, search, wait, look, search, wait: POUNCE. :laugh:
    2. I have paid a little too much for a gun before, so it can work both ways.
    3. It is getting harder to do now that I have narrowed down and educated my "wants/needs," which are more expensive than a year ago, or even 6 months ago.
    4. If you would have told me I would own two $1000 guns a year ago, I would have been stunned.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Found some negative information online about the Ruger Charger "takedown" edition in fitment.
    Loose and missing screws, including hex ones.
    Barrel done poorly where it attaches with a split in the nut that adjusts to keep the barrel tight on the frames where in connects (some are not adjusted right and are loose coming from Ruger.
    I guess the simpler you keep the design (like a straight barrel), the less things there are to go wrong in manufacturing, especially at the under $300 price point.
    Disappointing.

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Found some negative information online about the Ruger Charger "takedown" edition in fitment.
    Loose and missing screws, including hex ones.
    Barrel done poorly where it attaches with a split in the nut that adjusts to keep the barrel tight on the frames where in connects (some are not adjusted right and are loose coming from Ruger.
    I guess the simpler you keep the design (like a straight barrel), the less things there are to go wrong in manufacturing, especially at the under $300 price point.
    Disappointing.

I'd think that most of them would still be good to go... That's where I'd be thinking of getting it at a good LGS where they'd let you take it down to look for those kinds of issues before you bought it. I'd have to think it'd be LOTS easier for a LGS to return it as defective than you or me.

By the way, sent you a PM a few minutes ago... :cool:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'd think that most of them would still be good to go... That's where I'd be thinking of getting it at a good LGS where they'd let you take it down to look for those kinds of issues before you bought it. I'd have to think it'd be LOTS easier for a LGS to return it as defective than you or me.
    By the way, sent you a PM a few minutes ago... :cool:

1. Just responded to the pm.
    2. I wanted to buy a used one (usually save about +/-25%), which I'd be able to inspect, but that is a reason to buy new, in case there is an issue, the LGS should be willing to help. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what to look for (but I will inspect the retaining nut (if that is the correct term) for the barrel.
    3. I've bought a used gun before and the LGS sent it back for me: I just paid shipping 1-way if the manufacturer required (sometimes not).

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville

I have some scrap lumber if that helps.

Top Bottom