Looking to build a basement storm shelter and have questions. re: Egress Windows

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I have a ex BIL that lives in VA, he has a poured concrete room ( six sides poured ) in his basement that's all below grade. He had to put a window well in that went below the bottom of the window that was installed in his safe / nuke / Hurricane room. The well and the window had to be large enough for a man to go through with the window glass & frame broken out.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Forget the window.
    Yes, it would be an egress, but could also be an entrance.

Stock your storm/safe room with a 20 ton hydraulic bottle jack and the requisite timber to create your own egress when needed.
    Unless you're under a concrete slab, and maybe even then if it's not too big, a 20 ton jack will do the trick.
    Most new(er) houses today can be literally ripped apart with a 20 ton jack.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    ....... This sounds like a no-brainer, but then you think of the outside fiberglass storm/tornado shelters that people have put in that have no windows and nothing more than a hatch at ground level. Something could just as easily fall on top of one of these shelters and keep you inside until someone comes through, without even having an option for a window.?

One main thing to keep in mind here is that you do not want to have your egress "door" built to open out. Build it to open IN as this would still allow you to open the entrance if, say, a tree fell over the access point. Even at that point if you cannot exit - you still have the capability to work at / on the obstruction to remove it if possible.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Here we go...

1. An egress point can also be used as an ingress point. If this is to be a security room, I could see using steel plate over an ingress/egress point and perhaps SMALL windows backed up with bars for lighting and/or ventilation.

2. A storm cellar should not allow for a severe storm to send broken glass your direction as shrapnel.

3. A tunnel to the tree stump in the woods would be nice but probably not practical, therefore, I would stick with a steel plate egress point on a vertical surface. Again, make sure that you make it difficult to breach for entry purposes.

No tunnel in a tree stump?
    Party pooper.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Forget the window.
    Yes, it would be an egress, but could also be an entrance.

Stock your storm/safe room with a 20 ton hydraulic bottle jack and the requisite timber to create your own egress when needed.
    Unless you're under a concrete slab, and maybe even then if it's not too big, a 20 ton jack will do the trick.
    Most new(er) houses today can be literally ripped apart with a 20 ton jack.

Let's not forget, there will be city, county and state building codes to follow.
    I would be surprised if you could build a poured basement with the only access being the basement stairs with today's building codes in most places. And if you did it, you would be foolish.
    Somehow I don't think with a fire burning at the top of the stairs you and your family will make it out trying to bust through a 6 to 8" concrete wall with a 20 ton bottlejack..

Here honey, I know it's getting hard to see and breathe but you gotta hold up this 6x6 so I can bust a hole in this wall...
    There is a reason every commercial buildings and homes has two ways to exit.. The reason is FIRE..

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    If it was me I would put a bit of very cheap insurance in that room with me. A couple wrecking/pry bars. Shovel. A 10 ton hydraulic bottle jack. Some shoring lumber. A whistle or air horn.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I would go wth a window. Hinge down a steel cover, use a couple pieces of Styro Insul Board for weather guard. Install this after inspection/approval, and keep spare gear handy. Build some wall bunks, lifting bottoms for storage(hinged), plenty of battery lights/batterys, weather packed provisions. Radio, water, maybe install a water/gas/electric shut off to secure those. Spare cell phone, basic survival gear. Inward opening door, also 2x4 inside to bar the door unless you want it open. You can also put a removable bar across the window inside. Same idea.
    Yes, do the room. Used once, it's paid for.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My home plan for tornadoes just has my wife and I in different rooms with no windows on opposite corners of the basement, it reduces the odds of both of us being trapped.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I would go wth a window. Hinge down a steel cover, use a couple pieces of Styro Insul Board for weather guard. Install this after inspection/approval, and keep spare gear handy. Build some wall bunks, lifting bottoms for storage(hinged), plenty of battery lights/batterys, weather packed provisions. Radio, water, maybe install a water/gas/electric shut off to secure those. Spare cell phone, basic survival gear. Inward opening door, also 2x4 inside to bar the door unless you want it open. You can also put a removable bar across the window inside. Same idea.
    Yes, do the room. Used once, it's paid for.
    I should have included this in my first post, but I didn't think it relevant to the question I was asking. I plan to use this room to house the bulk of the items I have stored at my house. So it will have food, water, radios, lights, batteries, et al in it.

I will for sure be building the room regardless of whether there is a window or not. I was more wanting help deciding whether or not the presence of the window would be a deal breaker. With the house we are currently looking at there is an area that has a window that would work, but it would just be a matter of figuring out how to shore the ceiling to leave decent headroom as there is an HVAC trunk line running the length of the area. The other issue is figuring out how to run the supports for the ceiling as the room would be rather long and narrow and, of course, the floor joists run the short length causing me to run the support ceiling the long length of the room.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Definitely a second egress opening. As someone mentioned up thread about cooking to death in the basement when the rubble above catches fire, it can happen. That's how one homeowner died in that staged gas explosion here in Indy a couple years ago. He was in the basement when his neighbors house blew up, knocking his down above him. He survived the blast, but died in the fire before firefighters could get him out. They knew he was there and we're trying to get him out but just couldn't do it in time.

Have you also considered building the safe room outside the footprint of the house?

Top Bottom