• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    the mechanics are INDEED SLIGHTLY different than a conventional heavy double action pistol. With that disclaimer, it still takes TWO (double) mechanical, and completely separate, actions to make a GLOCK go boom.

The "double" in double action refers to cocking and firing. Pulling the trigger on a Glock does not cock the firing mechanism. Racking the slide cocks it. If you get a failure to fire, you must reset the firing mechanism by racking the slide or the trigger is dead. Hence, not a double action. If anything, its closer to a SAO that lacks the capability to manually cock.

Anyway,

OP, I started out in the same boat. I carried a CZ as my first semi-auto pistol. However once I started training realistically I realized I could not deactivate the safety on a hasty draw consistently. The CZ was too stiff and too small. I could consistently disengage the thumb safety on the 1911, which was larger and stuck out more. I moved to the 1911 platform and stayed with it until becoming an LEO and being forced to take up the Glock. I was also hesitant with the Glock and to this day I prefer something with the hammer on the outside. I like being able to see and feel if the gun is cocked as I holster.

There are trade offs regardless of what you choose. Glocks and the like are simple and the easiest to learn. You can't forget to decock before reholstering, there's nothing to swipe before its ready to fire, etc. DA/SA with no safety have the extra margin of error of a long and heavy first pull eliminating the need for a thumb safety, but are generally accepted to be harder to learn to shoot well because of the two distinct trigger pulls. Single action with a thumb safety is generally credited as having the best trigger and being the tops in potential accuracy given the same amount of effort at mastering it, but you need to consistently deactivate the thumb safety.

What's right for you is up to you, and you may find it will vary as you gain experience. I *personally* prefer DA/SA.

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    The "double" in double action refers to cocking and firing. Pulling the trigger on a Glock does not cock the firing mechanism. Racking the slide cocks it. If you get a failure to fire, you must reset the firing mechanism by racking the slide or the trigger is dead. Hence, not a double action. If anything, its closer to a SAO that lacks the capability to manually cock.
    A Glock's striker is about 60% cocked from the slide cycling. The trigger pull cocks it the remaining roughly 40%, so it actually is DAO. The DAO mechanism in 3rd Gen S&Ws, Para LDA, HK LEM, and SIG DAK are hammer fired mechanisms that operate similarly. If you get a failure to fire you shouldn't be pulling the trigger again anyway, you should be doing a tap-rack-bang and getting that bad round out.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    OP, there are several types of DA/SA guns out there with decockers that also act as a manual safety. Beretta PX-4 and Bersa Thunder Series spring to mind. You can choose to use the safety or leave it off after you've decocked the hammer.

When I started carrying it was with a Bersa Thunder. I wanted the manual safety also, and it was a great first gun that helped me get used to the controls and manipulations of a handgun.

I carried it for about 6 months before I outgrew the safety and moved to a Glock 19.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Im looking to buy my 1st CC weapon and im looking at a couple glocks but my concern is im not really sure how I feel about glocks not having a safety. I understand how they are made and that they pretty much will never fire without pulling the trigger but im still concerned about the whole no safety thing. Can anyone help recommend anything else or maybe try and ease my concerns? Thank you.

A good holster is an amazing safety

John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I started carrying just a couple years ago with the PX4- it is still my EDC as I am comfortable with it and it's what I know. I like that as MC stated it's a double action and you can carry it a couple different ways on depending on your comfort level. I carry (concealed) the full size version but compact versions are available.

With any carry gun invest in a good holster and choose something that fits right. After that its a matter of practicing and gaining experience.

Good luck with your choice- hopefully you update once you pick something.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I'll second that the best thing you can do is fire as many different guns as you can before you decide.

Start right now drilling the 4 safety rules into your head. The new shooters I've taken to the range the biggest issue they have is to want to put their finger on the trigger the second their hand touchs the gun. Not good. This takes practice to overcome.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Indy Trading post on the south side and Parabellum in Avon both have rental guns.
    Parabellum is probably a better choice because you can buy and bring in your own store bought ammo and it's a larger & much nicer indoor range.

I would NOT recommend you buying your first gun with the thought of carrying it.
    You will need a whole lot of practice and learning the ins & outs of firearm safety and carry laws before you should even consider carrying it in public.... my opinion of course.

Do yourself a favor and take the NRA basic pistol class. Take a friend, girlfriend, wife, who ever, and take the class together. It's fun, and you get to shoot some.
    It will be well worth your time and you will learn a lot. Couldn't recommend that enough.

If you don't want to go that route, I think there are a couple people who give basic private instruction on shooting and safety at Parabellum.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    JMO, but I don't think that a debate over whether GLOCK brand Glocks are double-action or not will in any way help the OP find an appropriate carry pistol.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Yeah, let's try to stay on topic. The OP is a new guy trying to learn something.
    there are other forums for the Glock debates.

Exactly. No reason to talk about how the M&Ps give their customers the choice as to whether or not they want a safety with their improved ergonomics, where Glock thinks their blocky, external-safety free pistols are the only way to go. No reason to get into that here. :)

OP, I will second the rental and training route that many others have mentioned. USDS is supposedly beginning to offer onsite training classes at the start of spring.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    My question to the Op is --do you own a handgun now or is this a totally new experience? If you are totally new give a revolver a try, you might like it.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    My question to the Op is --do you own a handgun now or is this a totally new experience? If you are totally new give a revolver a try, you might like it.

Even if you're not totally new, you might still love revolvers (that was my experience)

I also like my s&w shield, which has a safety.
    sig p938 or sig p238 are essentially mini 1911s in terms of interface.
    also,cz 75 rami (compact )

warrumr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Beech Grove
    To answer your question, yes this will be my first owned gun but I am not new to handling and shoot ing weapons. I have been around guns a lot throughout my life and I have been wanting to purchase 1 since I was 18 (I know you cant purchase a pistol at the age of 18) im 24 now and just got serious into buying one. I have been out with family and shot multiple pistols ranging from glock to SW to 1911. My main issue is that I shoot left handed and have been searching for a good fit. The best feeling one I have held would be an FNS-9 but I have a hard time trying to find a range that will let me rent one. I have shot a few revolvers and im not a big fan of them. They feel awkward to me at least. Any other info or hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I was going to recommend Parabellum also.

By the way: I'm also left-handed, which is another reason that I like my Ruger. Both the safety and the magazine release are ambidextrous.

Top Bottom