• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I felt the same way as the OP when I first carried, but that is part of the "respect" process of carrying a pistol. As many have suggested, a decent holster will keep you safe. I carry my Glock 27 (sub-compact, same size as Glock 26) in a KYDEX holster. They have excellent retention, are very thin, and don't flex very much. Because they hold their form (unlike most soft holsters), I feel they are a tad safer.

I won't tell you what your first pistol should be. However, I will comment that pistols with safeties have an extra layer of complexity. I don't know what is worse: my gun firing when I don't want it to...or my gun NOT firing when I NEED it to. The thing I love about striker fired pistols, like Glocks, are that they are dead simple. They are very easy to learn, very easy to shoot, very reliable, and require little maintenance. There aren't many buttons or levers, nor are there two different trigger pulls (a la DA/SA); just a simple pistol that goes bang when you need it to.

Here is an example of a kydex holster (notice the hard plastic surrounding the trigger and trigger guard):

2167d1370406164-kydex-holsters-sale-glock-17-18-19-22-23-26-27-20-2013-05-21_13.06.21.jpg

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I agree with the thought of trying several guns if possible. Parabellum has a really nice selection of rentals, many of which were pretty compact and would make good CC choices.
    The best safety of all is your brain and finger, but a good holster for the pistol you plan on carrying will go a long way in making carrying more enjoyable, and safe.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    To answer your question, yes this will be my first owned gun but I am not new to handling and shoot ing weapons. I have been around guns a lot throughout my life and I have been wanting to purchase 1 since I was 18 (I know you cant purchase a pistol at the age of 18) im 24 now and just got serious into buying one. I have been out with family and shot multiple pistols ranging from glock to SW to 1911. My main issue is that I shoot left handed and have been searching for a good fit. The best feeling one I have held would be an FNS-9 but I have a hard time trying to find a range that will let me rent one. I have shot a few revolvers and im not a big fan of them. They feel awkward to me at least. Any other info or hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Been some good advice so far. Try out, practice, train, holster.
    I would like to add....

Keep an eye out for an INGO Meet & Shoot. Good way to try out guns, and meet some of us.
    I've met a few of the Indy INGOers.
    Good people.

You need to be 21 to buy from a FFL. (Pistol, Federal law). You may however purchase a pistol in a private party sale (must be over 18, Indiana law).

Please break up your post a little. Use a paragraph or spacing.
    I'm not trying to be a grammar Nazi and chase you away from INGO.
    But spacing makes your post easier to read.

Left handed. Hmmm. I'm right handed, so my advice is probably useless.
    But isn't the major problem with a lefty and pistols.... the safety.
    You need an ambidextrous safety. Many 1911s have the. And if you prefer 9mm, I think there are 9mm 1911.
    But I could be wrong.

I often am.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    If you are left handed you may want to try out the XD range. The safety is in the grip, and the trigger so it is more ambidextrous than many others

rlw9337

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    I think M&Ps can have an option for a safety. Revolvers and DA autos have longer trigger travel that may help you feel more confident.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    First are you looking for a full sized, smaller, or micro sized carry gun. If you are looking at full sized pistols I personally like the DA/SA pistols for safety. As mentioned in the thread, a true double action will cock the hammer and fire it in one action without having to rack the slide. These have the option to pull the hammer back for single action, but will perform the complete action. It is my personal preference. Yes, a quality holster helps but there are situations where something obstructs the holster in rare occasions and have fired the pistol into the owner. It happens more often than it should. My personal favorite is the Single Action / Double Action like the Beretta, or Sig Sauer. Most manufacturers now days don't make them that way, but a few high quality manufacturers still do. I fell the most safe from accidents with this design of pistol. The Sig Sauer P229 is one of my favorite. I can shoot as accurate with the double action as I can the single. Unless a 10 lb weight gets on the trigger and pulls it back about an inch, it's not going to go off. Go to a gun store and look at several, then go to the range and rent it or find a friend who has one that doesn't mind letting you shoot it. Caliber is another choice, current majority opinion recommends a 9mm, but most of them will stop a person with good shot placement. The next question is how will you carry and what type holster to buy. Get a quality one, whatever mode of carry you decide.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-p229.aspx

Top Bottom