• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    I am looking to buy my first hand gun. I would like to stay on the cheaper side. I know a local shop here has a Phoenix Arms .22 or .25 for $140. I know that these guns do not have much stopping power and I would like to pay a LITTLE bit more for a .357, .38, 9mm, or a 380. Can someone please help me out on where I could get something in this range?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What is your plan for this gun? Home protection, daily carry? That is a pretty tight budget which believe me I understand! If it is for home protection only you may be able to find a shotgun closer to your price range? Also I would be looking into used hanguns as well with that price range. Do you have any experience with handguns? Do you know if you prefer a revolver or semi auto?

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    I would save just a little extra and get you a P32 if you are looking for a good pocket carry gun. If you want more of a home gun then go for a taurus 38 spl. Both can be found in good shape used for around $200 if you look around.

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    I am looking to carry this for personal protection, although I do not anticipate needing it. I am not in situations where I should need it hardly at all if ever. It will be in the house when I am not using it. Looking merely for something inexpensive but something that if I need it will do the job by either pulling it from my side or firing it if needed to be done.

JohnBoy1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Just my :twocents: but you can get a S&W VE9 sigma or .40 for about $250 with the rebate going on. The 1500 is this weekend and ive seen them in good shape for$225.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    If you have no experience with firearms, I think the $140 would be better investment in a basic pistol class. That would be plenty to cover a class and the ammo. This would give you an opportunity to get comfortable before you buy and make a better decision when you do. There are alot of choices in the $300-400 range. It doesn't seem like it is a matter of urgency so I would save up and invest a bit more in overall quality...good luck.:twocents:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    If you have something for home protection allready (read shorter barreled shotgun in 20 or 12 gauge) then you may want to wait a little. If you're just wanting ot get into handguns and start shooting the phoenix might work for a short term but you'd be stuck with a low resale on it. Under $200 and wanting it to be for home protection and have reasonable chance of it working? I 'll put on the flame suit and say HiPoint 9mm. At the price point you mentioned you can't do much better. The $250 range you'll start finding used S&W Sigmas, Ruger P-series, various Tuarus in semi and a few revolvers.
    If you want home protection and can only spend $140 or so. Used shotgun is the way to go IMO.

Last edited:

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    I am looking to buy my first hand gun. I would like to stay on the cheaper side. I know a local shop here has a Phoenix Arms .22 or .25 for $140. I know that these guns do not have much stopping power and I would like to pay a LITTLE bit more for a .357, .38, 9mm, or a 380. Can someone please help me out on where I could get something in this range?

I would absolute save up to about $300 to $350 and find yourself a nice new .380 or used compact 9mm.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    a handgun in that price range is pretty tough to find. i understand a tight budget believe me, but if possible i would try to add a little to that and try to get in the 250 - 300 range. if that is not possible the hi point c9 is an option. many will speak bad of them, i have a hipoint with 1000 rounds through it without a single problem. they dont look the greatest, but for their price they do work and can get the job done. good luck in your search.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I'm not sure where you are, but the Indy 1500 show is at the State Fairgrounds this weekend. You should check it out, you might find a Taurus or Rossi 38 snubby for a reasonable price.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    You need to put a little more money away. If you can get to $300 you open up so many more new/used options and you'll save yourself cash in the long run because you won't be constantly buying guns.

Spend the money on a pistol class where you can shoot several different pieces and see what works for you.

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    I will be in Indy this weekend and was thinking about going to the gun show. I have a couple questions for you about it:

1. What is admission?
    2. If I find one I like, will I be able to take it with me the same day or will they have to wait to get back in the office to do my background check?

I don't want to get there and find something I like and then not be able to get it that day.

Thanks for your help.

hunter962

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    northren IN

PA63 shoots a 9x19

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I will be in Indy this weekend and was thinking about going to the gun show. I have a couple questions for you about it:

1. What is admission?
    2. If I find one I like, will I be able to take it with me the same day or will they have to wait to get back in the office to do my background check?

I don't want to get there and find something I like and then not be able to get it that day.

Thanks for your help.

1. $10 addmission, $3 to park.

2. Yes you can take it home. They have phone lines set up to do your NICS checkright there.

Csh in hand will help you at this event as well.

afdfirefighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Thanks for all the info. I am also going to post this next question as a new topic but thought I would throw it in here too:

I am thinking about going with either a Bersa Thunder 380 or a Ruger LCP now. What would you suggest and why?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for all the info. I am also going to post this next question as a new topic but thought I would throw it in here too:

I am thinking about going with either a Bersa Thunder 380 or a Ruger LCP now. What would you suggest and why?

both are nice some people find the lcp to be a bit snappy to shoot, but it conceals very well. the bersa would a more comfortable shooter

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I suggest looking around Gun Broker.com and getting an idea of current prices. Then hit the gun show and see what you can find in your budget. I don't think you can go wrong with a revolver for a 1st handgun. I guess I'd look for a Taurus 85 or something similar. Happy Shopping. Let us know what you get!! :popcorn:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township

I wouldn't recommend either for strictly home protection. If want to carry,then they are both very easy to conceal. Bersa is a bit easier to shoot but the LCP is just about as easy to conceal as it gets. Neither make very fun range guns. Also remember, .380 ammo right now is harder to come by (although it is getting better) and can cost as much as .45 acp.:twocents:

Top Bottom