• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Thanks for all the info. I am also going to post this next question as a new topic but thought I would throw it in here too:

I am thinking about going with either a Bersa Thunder 380 or a Ruger LCP now. What would you suggest and why?

The Bersa is a great gun but well above your original budget. The Bersa generally runs around $300 and the LCP usually runs around $350. I personally don't like the LCP and I have shot it. If you are considering these two guns then you are an entirely different class of guns than your original budget allowed.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    i have a cobra .380 , you can get them new for $150. i havent had any problems with it as of yet, although a lot of people have jamming issues with them. But i didn't really buy it for home protection, i just wanted something to shoot in the hand gun department when my buddies go out to the range

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I had a Phoenix 22lr...... It was good, only 2 jams. HOWEVER. I would not trust my life on it. Just too much grey area. Didn't like how it fit together, I DID like the safetys though some could argue it isnt needed. If I chose something to defend my life I EXPECT perfection. People can argue the fact they dont like glocks, out of the 4 I've owned, and the thousands of rounds gone through them, ive never had a jam, or ftf thats 100%. An XD, Sig, or an M&P should do that for you as well, all 3 are amazingly designed guns.

Last edited:

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    SAVE YOUR MONEY. Cut back on BS, in a few weeks that 2-300 will be 500 buy yourself a respectable carry gun. I am not in any way saying anything negative about pocket guns or anything of the sort. My point is that if you are only going to have one, make it a good one that will fulfill all of our needs for years to come, not just here and now because you got 200 doll hairs. Same goes for women, just the trigger awareness is a bit different.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Got to ask, if your budget is so tight can you afford the LTCH that is required to use the gun for anything besides home?

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Thanks for all the info. I am also going to post this next question as a new topic but thought I would throw it in here too:

I am thinking about going with either a Bersa Thunder 380 or a Ruger LCP now. What would you suggest and why?

Absolutely the Bersa 380. When I first started shooting about 7 years ago, I went through many handguns in larger caliber and size but shooting them as a person that had never shot a gun or even been exposed to them before was very intimidating.

I rented a Bersa 380 at an east side shooting range and was very comfortable and confident with it. It was small enough to control and a light enough (but adequate) defense caliber for me to become confident with shooting. The recoil is light and the muzzle flip is very minimal with a solid grip. I purchased one on the spot.

In time, I started purchasing larger calibers and guns as my skills and confidence improved but still to this day, 4 days out of 5, I am carrying my Bersa 380 since it just vanishes with an IWB (inside the waistband) holster like a Don Hume or Fist holster. You almost forget it is even there like the way a wallet feels by the middle of the day.

Lastly, with more control and confidence, you will have more desire to practice and get trigger control down pat. This translates into superb shot placement which is, imho, the number one consideration in self defense. The Bersa 380 is amazingly accurate and very reliable...don't let the price fool you.

Top Bottom