• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    The one I am leaning most towards is the Springfield Champion Operator. I do have a budget as I am probably going to have to sell some stuff that I really don't use in order to be able to buy it. Right now I'm looking in the $500-$800 range.
    This price range should get you a Springfield Mil-spec (GI) maybe even a Loaded but don't hold me on that because I haven't priced one lately. I can't remember exactly what a Champion Operator sells for but that's probably not too far off either? This price range won't get you a high-end one though. If you are an average shooter you should be very happy with one of those models! When you are looking for a "tack-driver" in a 1911, of course you need to spend more money (1"@25yds,1"-2"@50yds etc etc......)

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm in the same boat, wanting a 1911 as my next purchase. I found a nice 2 tone RIA at a shop fairly nearby that I go to with beavertail grip saftety, and better sights for $530. But I'm also drawn to the springfield GI and mil spec, along with the Para GI expert. All for around the same price. The question I've gotta ask myself is do I want to go with the lesser brand and have the options I want, or the better brand and have to modify it to get it how I want?

Depends on whether the "better brand" actually gains you anything. Given the experience of my wife, step-father, and best friend with their Rock Island guns, I'm not sure you gain any functional advantage with the more expensive guns. All three are experiencing outstanding accuracy and great reliability. The Springfield is prettier, and maybe a little smoother, but I doubt it works better. Time will tell about durability, but I do know of one torture test where the RIA performed very well. Cathy's gun has about 550 rounds through it so far, and she's exceptionally pleased.

The Springer is really nice, too, just wanted to throw out the RIA info.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Is this the one?

15z2vk9.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Now don't "get bent" on this guys, this is not my gun I'm just practicing how to post pic's. I think my Trademark is going to be the big piece of cardboard if it's mine!

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Yep.....that's it. I have been fingering it for two days now and it feels great in my hand. It's all about what feels good right??
    You will like those Novak or Novak style sights! But I have to warn you about holding guns that you really like, the voices in your head will say:"take me home". LOL.................................................

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    You will like those Novak or Novak style sights! But I have to warn you about holding guns that you really like, the voices in your head will say:"take me home". LOL.................................................

I'll be ok if that's the voice I choose to listen too.......:D

Honestly the .45 bug bit me just a couple months ago and just within the last couple weeks the 1911 bug sunk it's teeth in. Oh well, I just don't know which one to listen too first, the 1911 bug or the AK bug. :dunno:

willforu1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Ive always wanted a 1911 so to commemorate Obama's inaugeration I bought a Colt 1991 series 80 5" 1911 with matte finish. I like it but I wish I would have bought a flashier upscale one made of stainless with rosewood grips. If your gonna buy one don't skimp to make your wife happy. go all the way and buy the one you want.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm a Kimber guy, but I wouldn't be shy about trying out a lower end 1911, as long as it wasn't my primary self defense handgun.

For me to invest in a 1911 it would need to come stock with the following;
    Beavertail grip safety
    Extended thumb safety
    Dovetailed front and rear sights

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have always been a "what feels good to me" kind of guy, regardless of price. As of right now the Springfield felt perfect and is calling my name. When I posted this originally, I only had one day of fondling it. But today I went back to see if it still felt as good..........it did.

I will also say the Doublestar felt really good too, but not really better and it's at least a couple hundred more with a longer slide. I am looking to carry this off duty so I think the 4" will work out better.

For those not familer with the Doublestar, I know it's not on the website yet, they look and feel like a pretty sweet gun, just a little pricey.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I am a Commander sized guy myself. I have three I carry. A S&W 1911Sc I carry a lot because of the light weight. A Kimber Pro Carry that shoots much better then I can. A custom I lucked into on a Caspian frame.

The Caspian is by far the best gun of the bunch, but also the heaviest. The Kimber is a Esclipe, great shooter and just plain pretty. The Smith is the lightest, shoots great and the one I carry the most.

Just to give you some more things to think about. If you lived closer I would let you shoot mind to see how they feel to you.

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I am a Commander sized guy myself. I have three I carry. A S&W 1911Sc I carry a lot because of the light weight. A Kimber Pro Carry that shoots much better then I can. A custom I lucked into on a Caspian frame.

The Caspian is by far the best gun of the bunch, but also the heaviest. The Kimber is a Esclipe, great shooter and just plain pretty. The Smith is the lightest, shoots great and the one I carry the most.

Just to give you some more things to think about. If you lived closer I would let you shoot mind to see how they feel to you.

And I thank you for the thought. I do have a guy I work with that is a 1911 type guy and will be getting his butt to the range with me SOON.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I have always been a "what feels good to me" kind of guy, regardless of price. As of right now the Springfield felt perfect and is calling my name. When I posted this originally, I only had one day of fondling it. But today I went back to see if it still felt as good..........it did.

I will also say the Doublestar felt really good too, but not really better and it's at least a couple hundred more with a longer slide. I am looking to carry this off duty so I think the 4" will work out better.

For those not familer with the Doublestar, I know it's not on the website yet, they look and feel like a pretty sweet gun, just a little pricey.

Have ya even tried a Colt LOL??? Try going by Elmore's they tend to have more 1911's on hand than anyone, and I have seen Kimber's go for around the $600 mark...

1032JBT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Have ya even tried a Colt LOL??? Try going by Elmore's they tend to have more 1911's on hand than anyone, and I have seen Kimber's go for around the $600 mark...

I haven't yet, but trust me I will before I buy. I'm just out of town for now and can't get with my 1911 guy at the moment.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No offense to the Commander size or light weight guns, but if I'm actually gonna have to use the gun for self defense, I want 5" of steel. That is why I carry a 45 caliber 1911.

There is little difference in concealment, the magic of the 1911 is that it is thin. A "heavy" 1911 does need the utmost in quality holster and belt. I wouldn't leave the house without a double mag holder on the opposite side for balance and the obvious ammo reserve.

When shooting, the weight difference is more than made up for in second, third, fourth... shot recoil recovery. With practice, the nearly 7" sight plain doesn't slow you down at close range, yet still allows for a confident 35 yard shot (that never happens...
    ...until it does.)

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County

Where is this Elmore's? For me my main options I want that are most important are the beavertail safety, and some good sights (novak, adjustable, heinie, etc). Later on I can upgrade barrells and what ever else I decide on. For the money I'm now leaning more heavily toward the RIA's at Ludco. They had one with what I"m wanting that was either stainless or nickel for $530, and a two tone for $550. Of course the base mil spec blued was $409. Really I"d rather have all blued or a matte finish. I'm just gonna keep shopping around and see what I can find. Any recomendations on other good shops I"d appreciate :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    I'm a Kimber guy, but I wouldn't be shy about trying out a lower end 1911, as long as it wasn't my primary self defense handgun.

For me to invest in a 1911 it would need to come stock with the following;
    Beavertail grip safety
    Extended thumb safety
    Dovetailed front and rear sights
    (Beaver-tail) grip-safety is probably #1. The regular (GI) mil-spec ones tend to bite if you shoot a lot or try some hot loads! My hands can take it because I'm a "Tin-Banger" a.k.a. HVAC technician but my hands are like shoe leather and have a very powerful grip from using tin-snips all the time. Some guys this bothers though. :twocents:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom