• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    I can recommend Springfield Armory Mil-Spec 1911-A1, 5"bbl. Very accurate, never jammed with any ammo. Grip safety does bite a little. Easy fix with drop in beavertail, though. I like sticking to mil-spec for parts availability. I've only had to replace the recoil spring, but just as a routine precaution, shoot too much.:)

Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    fpd9317, I too, have been on the 1911 journey ( it is a journey and not a destination because it never ends). I think the closest to relief of your 1911 itch will be to have a 3 in, 4-4.25 in, and 5 in barrel and then one day build your own. I have read that 3 in can be finicky but mine is fine. The recoil is snappier but not beastly. Right now I think the ideal carry would be a CCO style but I have average sized hands so the shorter frame works well for me.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    And I know I'll get a lot of boooooo's for this....but you don't have to limit yourself to the .45 cal. to stay within the 1911 family. I bought a Para Ordnance 16-40 off AllenM here. Best shooting pistol I've ever owned. 2-3 inch groups first time I took it out. I've put around 400 rounds through it using WWB as well as AllenM's reloads. Not a glitch. But if you're dead set on a .45....you might look at the Para 14-45.

PARA16-40LIMITEDSTAINLESSIN.jpg

P1010302.jpg

I also like the RIA's, but if you're like me...you have to worry about what is allowed by your department to use as an off-duty carry. The RIA's haven't made that list yet, but I'm lobbying hard for it. ;) (and if I borrowed that 14-45 pic from someone here...I hope you don't mind)

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    Where is this Elmore's? For me my main options I want that are most important are the beavertail safety, and some good sights (novak, adjustable, heinie, etc). Later on I can upgrade barrells and what ever else I decide on. For the money I'm now leaning more heavily toward the RIA's at Ludco. They had one with what I"m wanting that was either stainless or nickel for $530, and a two tone for $550. Of course the base mil spec blued was $409. Really I"d rather have all blued or a matte finish. I'm just gonna keep shopping around and see what I can find. Any recomendations on other good shops I"d appreciate :)

Elmore's is in Greenwood on 135 just north of Fariveiw. It is in a strip behind the Mike's Car Wash and just south of the big LA Fitness. By far the best place to see a variety of 1911s in one place (ranging from $500-$3000) in the Indy area.

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    There are quite a few I would recommend, but a $ range would be useful ;)

Springfield Mil-Spec is a great starter pistol

S&W 1911 - It a very nice middle level with most of the add-ons you could want.

STI Spartan - It too falls into this price range

Dan Wesson - If you're looking to spend more this would make a great choice.

Springfield TRP - Again if you want to spend, IMO this is one of the best "production line" 1911's.

Could not agree more! Great choices. Depending on your time frame, I may have a used Dan Wesson CBOB going up for sale that I think makes a heck of first commander sized 1911.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Elmore's is in Greenwood on 135 just north of Fariveiw. It is in a strip behind the Mike's Car Wash and just south of the big LA Fitness. By far the best place to see a variety of 1911s in one place (ranging from $500-$3000) in the Indy area.
    Elmore's does not carry the RIA though. Or at least they didn't a couple of months ago.

Top Bottom